Help Needed! Help! Infected tail pocket!!

jennaandgus

Dec 25, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
My bulldog Gus is 7 years old and has never had any issues with his tail pocket. We always clean his facial folds and ears but never knew we had to clean his tail fold. About a week and a 1/2 ago I noticed he started to be itchy and realized his tail pocket had a bad smell. We took him to the vet (who is a new vet for us because we just moved) and she said that his pocket was infected and may need a tail amputation. She did give us antiseptic wipes and antibiotics but said if it doesn't get better she recommends the amputation. We went back to the vet yesterday and were given another round of antibiotics to hopefully help clear the infection but once again said he will probably need it. The infection does seem to be getting better but I am worried because in 7 years this has never happened and the vet quickly jumped to wanting to do the amputation. So I guess my question is whether or not this is normal for her to jump to this conclusion so quickly even though this has never been a problem before. I was also wondering if any of you have had this problem and what you did to help clear the infection along with taking the antibiotics.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
First put him in a warm bath, and get your finger in tail pocket as deep as you can(surgical gloves if you have) and clean it out. Then you need to dry it really good. You need to get Malacetic wipes, or get clorhexadine, and dilute it,and apply it in the pocket. You need to clean it everyday,and dry- until it heals, and then at least 2 or 3 times a week. Try these things before you have amputation. Some eventually need amp, but some don't.
******* Once it is cleaned and healed-this is what our Essential oil "guru" recommends!The mix or amputation. I'll stick to the mix. Here's the potion.*15 drops Lavender 15 drops Geranium 15 drops Frankincense 15 drops Basil 10 drops Arborvitae. Fractionated*Coconut Oil*(the clear one) fill the bottle about 3/4 of the way full. Shake bottle well before using. Use once a week to treat ears (tail and any rash) that have an ear infection or once a month as a preventative measure in ears that are prone to recurrent ear infectionsIf ears are especially inflamed or infected, dilute 2 drops of lavender in 4 drops of fractionated*coconut oil*on a cotton ball and apply lightly to soothe the inflamed ear area. [MENTION=19391]jennaandgus[/MENTION]

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=19391]jennaandgus[/MENTION].... absolutely donā€™t consider tail amputation. That vet should of told you the risk at 7yrs old for any surgery. The recipe mix [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] posted is what I made n still using it for my brindle Nyala. She is 4.5 years old and was supposed to have her tail amputated. Before jumping the gun as we say, I wanted to do an essential oil mix to clean her tail pocket myself. Ive been doing oils for years so I know my oils. I so didnā€™t want her to go through losing her little tail, meds, healing time, maybe an infection......So, I know this recipe works! All the members in here that knows Nyala can tell you for her 4yrs on here, sheā€™s doing great.

15 drops Lavender
15 drops Geranium
15 drops Frankincense
15 drops Basil
10 drops Arborvitae. Arborvitae is very hard to get. If you canā€™t find it use Thuja. (Itā€™s in the evergreen family)

Fractionated Coconut Oil to fill the bottle about 3/4 of the way full? Shake bottle well before using.

Pour a bit of the mix in a little mini cup, fragrance free baby wipes from Costco. Usually I use like 4 wipes but only the ends/corners. I always wear a glove. Roll the little end of the wipe around your finger, dip in the mix n go all the way to the end wall of the tail. Repeat till it comes out clean. Nyala use to have blood, slim, hair in there. I recall I wasnā€™t going deep enough and my vet told me not to worry just get in there slowly till you touch the wall/tail end. In HER case, I would clean her tail once a day till the blood/slim was gone. Then every 2-3 days for months and a good year is. Then when she was about 3ish it was ever week. Nowadays itā€™s once a month. But that is her. I see it just another to do maintenance. I donā€™t regret it whatsoever having taken this route. She still has her little nub, didnā€™t need surgery, she very healthy. Some will do surgery to simply get it over with. But sometimes surgery isnā€™t always needed. If you do it the right way, Gus will be fine. My holistic vet even asked my recipe as she was so amazed how I went about it. She wanted the recipe for her clients with the same issue before going for amputations. This mix is also great for yeast infection, rashes, ears....

If you have any questions about oils please do ask as NOT all oils are all good for dogs especially cats. I rather you ask. If you buy oils, you need to use quality like DoTerra or Young Living. DoTerra has the same quality as YL and less expensive.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/51130-essential-oils.html

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
If this is his first infection, I am surprised for the jump to amputate so quickly, unless she is seeing something you canā€™t.

My boy had his removed at 10 months old, but his tail was growing back into his body.
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] every hear of anything like this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
If this is his first infection, I am surprised for the jump to amputate so quickly, unless she is seeing something you canā€™t.

My boy had his removed at 10 months old, but his tail was growing back into his body.
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] every hear of anything like this?
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Exactly what I donā€™t understand ā€œtry this if it doesnā€™t work we do amputation.ā€ :w00t: Why I would do the oils n clean it properly first.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Yep...Vet is too quick to pull the "amputate" trigger. Best to avoid that if possible. I could certainly understand amputation...if the infection(s) had been resistant to treatment or recurring over several months time.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Monty had several tail pocket infections before surgery was brought up. Even then, his tail pocket was reconstructed and his tail only partially amputated. I don't trust anyone when surgery is brought up immediately, Doctor or vet!

jessica989

Jul 9, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Porky
My bully is 9 1/2 and had tail pocket issues about a year or so ago. I did the wipes... antibiotics... home remedies... and my vet recommended trying the ear medicine I believe Claro. Itā€™s the month or so ear med for dogs and the vet applies it. It lasts for months with my dog in her tail pocket. It was a relief from cleaning etc and worrying about the infections popping back up.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.