Help! Hannibal is 9 yrs old and licks his paws

Bully Girl

Nov 23, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy Mae and Hannibal
Hannibal came to us with allergies and was started on Apoquel. He was a show dog raised on pee gravel & when we got him home and he stepped on grass the poor thing began licking his paws. The Apoquel helped at first maybe almost a year but then it just stopped working. Now the vet has him on Benadryl. I just feel so bad for him. We live in a farm area so there is grass everywhere. We did stone some areas thinking he would enjoy that but now he heads straight for the grass. Any ideas? I canā€™t fence him in. Hannibal is a big boy weighing in at 72 lbs.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
1. Wipe his paws down with Baby Wipes when he is done walking on grasses.
2. Get him allergy tested and start the shot routine right away.
3. Consider monthly Cytopoint Injections.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hannibal came to us with allergies and was started on Apoquel. He was a show dog raised on pee gravel & when we got him home and he stepped on grass the poor thing began licking his paws. The Apoquel helped at first maybe almost a year but then it just stopped working. Now the vet has him on Benadryl. I just feel so bad for him. We live in a farm area so there is grass everywhere. We did stone some areas thinking he would enjoy that but now he heads straight for the grass. Any ideas? I canā€™t fence him in. Hannibal is a big boy weighing in at 72 lbs.
Agree with Chipā€¦. Wipe paws after being out, be sure they are dry and start Cytopoint shots

OP
B

Bully Girl

Nov 23, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy Mae and Hannibal
Agree with Chipā€¦. Wipe paws after being out, be sure they are dry and start Cytopoint shots
Cytopoint was given at the vet and what a difference. We have also been doing epsom salt soaks. Hannibalā€™s paws are looking terrific. Thank you for suggesting Cytopoint!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Cytopoint was given at the vet and what a difference. We have also been doing epsom salt soaks. Hannibalā€™s paws are looking terrific. Thank you for suggesting Cytopoint!
Now that you started the shotā€¦ go as long as you can , watch for signs of it wearing off. Lambeau can got two months in winter, but spring through fall it is every four weeks for his shot

Members online

No members online now.