1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
This was just posted on my local bulldog group FB page here in Houston so I am posting it here as a warning to us all. So very sad.

Everyone, please be careful this summer, it will be very hot.
A week ago, my husband and I went out for a walk with our English Bulldog. It was about 8 PM and it didnā€™t feel too hot, but it was hot enough for our dog to have a heatstroke. Everything happened so fast, we didnā€™t get to say goodbye. By the time we got to the animal hospital, she was unconscious. The staff did everything they could but she didnā€™t make it. The vet said that she had 4 EB die in the past month due to heatstroke. She explained to us that even when there is no sun, the humidity can still cause this.
Please take care of your doggies, it has been a really hard week for us and I donā€™t wish this on anyone.

BTW. This is my 3rd attempt to post this so if it suddenly shows up as repeats.... Sorry!

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Our sincerest condolences on the loss of your beloved bully. Prayer and hugs to you Pam and your family.

It is hot here too with heat indices in the 100's F.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So sadā€¦ it is scary how fast it happens. I always base it off of the thickness of the air, not just the temperature.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Thanks for posting this Pam

Our sincerest condolences on the loss of your beloved bully. Prayer and hugs to you Pam and your family.

I don't think this was Pam's dog...was another's experience.
Very sad nonetheless.
I'll add that pavement can hold high heat for hours after the sun goes down and Bulldogs walking on asphalt pavement are exposed to that. Owners need to be aware and know that if they can't handle the heat under a bare foot then neither can ANY dog...especially a Bulldog.

2bullies

May 14, 2017
Scottsdale, AZ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bunny
I just came here to share my experience yesterday and saw this post.

Yes, heat exhaustion is very real and terrifying. Yesterday, i allowed my EBD and Frenchie to hang out in the garage with me while i was working out there for about 45 min. I'm in Arizona and it was about 101 F degrees outside in the sun around 11am. It was 114 -117 F last week, so this wasnt bad at all, since we were under the shade of the garage. Garage doors wide open, big industrial work fans on, good breeze and ventilation, fresh cold water bowls and plenty of shade.

After 30-45 min, (Bunny 6 yr old EBD) started panting heavily, but no other unusual symptoms, so i put the dogs back in the house to cool off and continued my project in the garage. 10-15 min later, i went inside to check on the dogs because my Frenchie was barking like crazy and scratching at the door to the garage non-stop. I went inside and found 3 huge piles of vomit throughout the house and Bunny collapsed on the living room floor with a panicked look in her eyes. She was conscious but it was a horrible scene. She was gasping for air, tongue about a foot long and almost solid purple/black color, bubbles coming out of her nose, her nose and lips were very gray colored, covered in bubbly mucous and her body temp was hot to the touch.

I carried her into our bathtub, filled it with cold water and ice while spraying her with cold water the whole time. I actually ran the garden hose through our bedroom window, into our bathroom so i could speay her down as well. Thankfully my son was home to help gather ice and drive down the street to the gas station to buy another $30 worth if ice bags. It took 45 min for her to cool down to the point she was coherent and she finally drank water after another 15 min. This was one of the worst hours i have spent in many years.

Drove her straight to the vet afterwards and were told that's all we could have done and we literally saved her within a few minutes of something disastrous happening.

I'm still in shock over this experience. Bunny is home resting and getting the royal treatment, doing 100x better today. Lesson learned! They dont need to be under direct sunlight to get heat stroke. This happened in shade, within 30 min and 10 ft away from me. Hero of the day is Momo the Frenchie for letting me know Bunny was in trouble. Unbelievable that he was able to know she was in trouble and for him to get me to come inside! The vet said he saved her life with only minutes to spare. [emoji120][emoji120][emoji120]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014

It is hot here too with heat indices in the 100's F.

Oh no, this is not my dog! It was posted on my FB page so I wanted to share.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=17156]2bullies[/MENTION], yes thank god for Momo.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
I just came here to share my experience yesterday and saw this post.

Yes, heat exhaustion is very real and terrifying...
I had to "LIKE" this post...but only because Bunny is still with us!!!
Thanks for sharing...this post will save another Bulldog...guaranteed!

tigertanktoo

Mar 31, 2019
SW Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gabe - EBD 7 yrs old and Charlie - Cockerspaniel 15 yrs old
Here is a couple of flyers to possibly help if something like that does happen and you have to react quickly. Things to look for and what to do.

Bulldogs and heat stroke.jpg Doggie first aid.jpg

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Quite a tragedy! I had a near-experience with Porkchop some years back when our AC broke down on a 100 degree day. I thought cold water and ice would help him cool down. Vet's advice was "NO ICE!" Here's the reasoning I found today that explains why-

"The immediate treatment plan for a hyperthermic dog is to treat the hyperthermia and then treat the associated complications. The severely hyperthermic patient must first undergo immediate body cooling to prevent further organ damage. One can use fans, towel-covered ice packs, and alcohol placed on paw pads to encourage total body cooling. It has been shown that placing a dog in ice water is actually contraindicated. Ice water immediately causes vasoconstriction which reduces radiant heat loss. This can cause the animalā€™s internal body temperature to continue rising rather than help with cooling. The cooling process should be discontinued when body temperature approaches approximately 103 ĖšF to prevent iatrogenic hypothermia."

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
Thank you for sharing this! I am so glad bunny was ok and so thankful momo let you know she needed help!!
We all need these reminders!
I have saved and printed the instruction sheets too!

So so glad she is ok. [emoji3590]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online