Heartgard sensitivity?

Snoboardchk911

Feb 16, 2017
Pennsylvania
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Bentley
Hey guys! I have Diesel his first heartgard heart work preventive yesterday. Today he pooped about 6 times and it's soft. He is also lethargic... could it be the heartgard???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
that is something I would call and ask the vet right away.... may be normal but I would check. I once gave my cat a topical thing and w/in a few min she was paralyzed... I ran to the sink and started washing her off right away, over and over,, and she couldn't do anything about it as she was stiff.. saved her life. those things can either be just fine, or dangerous depending on your animal... i'd call (but then I'm a bug)

OP
Snoboardchk911

Snoboardchk911

Feb 16, 2017
Pennsylvania
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Bentley
that is something I would call and ask the vet right away.... may be normal but I would check. I once gave my cat a topical thing and w/in a few min she was paralyzed... I ran to the sink and started washing her off right away, over and over,, and she couldn't do anything about it as she was stiff.. saved her life. those things can either be just fine, or dangerous depending on your animal... i'd call (but then I'm a bug)

He's acting better now, running around and playing. He's been sleeping a lot today but perked up tonight. He's eating and drinking fine... I'll see how he is tonight and call in the morning if he's no better.. thanks!!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
awww sounds just fine then :) so happy :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
He's acting better now, running around and playing. He's been sleeping a lot today but perked up tonight. He's eating and drinking fine... I'll see how he is tonight and call in the morning if he's no better.. thanks!!

Often side effects is diarrhea, vomiting etc. Just keep an eye out since it's new. I personally never gave any of these drugs. Often the chewable ones are not chewed properly and doesn't go into the dog's system properly.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Glad he's ok ! Heartguard has a low dose of ivermectin, Talk to your vet about trying milbemycin (Sentinel or Interceptor) if you want to still give heartworm prevention orally,. If you prefer topical heartworm prevention you can try Revolution or Advantage Multi . You don't need to use too often- every 2 months is fine, and in cold climates like Toronto where I live we only need to give from June to December. So I will probably just use my Advantage Multi or Interceptor on June 1, Sept 1, November 1 and Jan 1.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Glad to hear he is doing better...

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
Often side effects is diarrhea, vomiting etc. Just keep an eye out since it's new. I personally never gave any of these drugs. Often the chewable ones are not chewed properly and doesn't go into the dog's system properly.
If you don't mind me asking..what did you use.I hate giving ours chemicals and would love alternatives.Thank you

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
If you don't mind me asking..what did you use.I hate giving ours chemicals and would love alternatives.Thank you

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Oh dear. Its a good list but once you have all on hand its a breeze as you mix it. There's a great site that explains it really well. Oh and to keep mosquito away....lavender is a great oil.

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/essential-oils-for-heartworm-treatment/

Natural Heartworm Prevention

Natural Heartworm Prevention

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
There is a way you can minimize heartworm drug side effects- by duplicating the Safeheart heartworm ā€œpreventionā€ method ā€” which you canā€™t buy ā€” you have split the Interceptor (milbemycin) dose into quarters. The recommended Safeheart once-a-month dosage is 0.1 mg of milbemycin oxime per kg of body weight (0.05 mg/lb). (Interceptorā€™s regular dose of dosage is 0.5 mg milbemycin oxime per kg of body weight.) Note: At this dose, only heartworms will be treated with the Safeheart method, not other worms or fleas. https://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/Products/ApprovedAnimalDrugProducts/FOIADrugSummaries/ucm054862.htm

If you repeat this minimal milbemycin dose every 6-8 weeks ( instead of 4 weeks ) you will have exposed your dog to extremely low doses of dewormer. You probably should still deworm your dog twice a year with Panacur which has few side effects if you use this method.

OP
Snoboardchk911

Snoboardchk911

Feb 16, 2017
Pennsylvania
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Bentley
There is a way you can minimize heartworm drug side effects- by duplicating the Safeheart heartworm ā€œpreventionā€ method ā€” which you canā€™t buy ā€” you have split the Interceptor (milbemycin) dose into quarters. The recommended Safeheart once-a-month dosage is 0.1 mg of milbemycin oxime per kg of body weight (0.05 mg/lb). (Interceptorā€™s regular dose of dosage is 0.5 mg milbemycin oxime per kg of body weight.) Note: At this dose, only heartworms will be treated with the Safeheart method, not other worms or fleas. https://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/Products/ApprovedAnimalDrugProducts/FOIADrugSummaries/ucm054862.htm

If you repeat this minimal milbemycin dose every 6-8 weeks ( instead of 4 weeks ) you will have exposed your dog to extremely low doses of dewormer. You probably should still deworm your dog twice a year with Panacur which has few side effects if you use this method.

Thank you so much! That is very helpful!

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.