He eats and chew everything

Lee and Manny

Aug 5, 2022
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Manny
Question needing answers please. How do I stop my main man Manny from chewing everything. He eats my misses slippers, he had hold of my daughters quilt last and it took me ages to get it off him.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
I'd rather use positivity than negativity.
I think most members here would rather use positive correction too. Evidently, you've already tried "+ correction" and it has not worked. Some Bulldogs respond favorably to + correction in some situations. I have seen this behavior many many times and the squirt bottle is a harmless effective training tool when other methods fail.

Last edited:
OP
L

Lee and Manny

Aug 5, 2022
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Manny
I
I think most members here would rather use positive correction too. Evidently, you've already tried and "+ correction" and it has not worked. Some Bulldogs respond favorably to + correction in some situations. I have seen this behavior many many times and the squirt bottle is a harmless effective training tool when other methods

I think most members here would rather use positive correction too. Evidently, you've already tried and "+ correction" and it has not worked. Some Bulldogs respond favorably to + correction in some situations. I have seen this behavior many many times and the squirt bottle is a harmless effective training tool when other methods fail.
I'll stick with the positive first for a bit longer before I go down the squirt bottle route. Cheers for the help though. 🤙🤙🤙

tigertanktoo

Mar 31, 2019
SW Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gabe - EBD 7 yrs old and Charlie - Cockerspaniel 15 yrs old
I

I'll stick with the positive first for a bit longer before I go down the squirt bottle route. Cheers for the help though. 🤙🤙🤙
It was just a suggestion. But the positive route does sound much better. I'd have to agree with the others as well. I am no expert on bullys. Good luck.

OP
L

Lee and Manny

Aug 5, 2022
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Manny
It was just a suggestion. But the positive route does sound much better. I'd have to agree with the others as well. I am no expert on bullys. Good luck.
Me either. I didn't realize just how much work goes into one. They are just like babies. 🤣🤣

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
Question needing answers please. How do I stop my main man Manny from chewing everything. He eats my misses slippers, he had hold of my daughters quilt last and it took me ages to get it off him.
You need to keep everything he should not have away, and whenever he gets ahold of something he shouldn't have you need to replace it with something he should have and immediately give praise when he latches onto the thing he should have. Always immediately replace the wrong with the right.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
My suggestions:
1. Kennel train.
- when you can't keep an eye on him, he stays in the kennel to prevent him from acquiring bad habits.

2. Teach attention.
- this is a command you give that will signal the dog to stop what he's doing and look at you at attention. it's like the "heel" command when walking. I use "nuh uh" as my command. This signals my dog to immediately stop what he's doing and look at me. Very useful in many situations - e.g. he's off leash and runs to the road - "nuh uh" makes him stop and look at you which gives you a chance to give him another command to come to you, preventing him from getting run over.

- for this chewing or any undesired behavior, you can immediately give the command which should make him stop what he's doing and look at you which will then give you a chance to give him another command to distract him from the undesired behavior - like telling him to fetch a toy.

- you can teach the attention command in the same way you teach him everything else - through positive praise/reward when he does it right, and repeat and repeat and repeat over and over and over until it becomes habit.

Good luck!

Members online

No members online now.