Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
OK I seriously need to pick your brain on the oils... do you think they would help calm Willow down?!! Lol

Itā€™s definitely worth a try IMO. You wonā€™t see results overnight and would have to test different dosage amounts.

Hereā€™s another brand I know a lot of people buy that can be ordered online as well:

https://treatibles.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
thett

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
Thank you. He does get greet yogurt every night mixed with some mashed banana. It's their night time treat lol!

OP
thett

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
Harvey Update: All blood work came back normal. So that is a relief! I assume this is just the typical tremor that seems to be so common.

It is so scary to watch but since doing it the following morning one time i have ot seen them occur since. So 2 days now which i am thankful for.

I will be taking the recommendation on the CBD oil though! Thanks everyone for your support!!! I don't know what i would do without this community!

Also, any of you raw feeders or home cooking feeders have opinions on my home cooked recipe? Does it seem balanced? Am i missing anything??
Would love any and all feedback.. Until i go raw i just thought this was better than all kibble.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
re:
2lbs organic ground beef (boiled to death)
1 bag carrots & peas
1/8 acorn squash or small sweet potato
sometimes a little celery
red organic kidney beans
pure pumpkin
1/2-1 cup brown rice

If it's just for a few days or even a couple of weeks I wouldn't worry if it's balanced. If it's more long term there's no need to feed carbs, so I would take out the rice and kidney beans, and either add in frozen raw meaty bones like poultry Wingtips,Feet,Necks,Backs; or calcium carbonate powder. Plus some liver and heart. I'm scared my dog would choke on a chicken bone so I have't tried feeding them but I feed a commercial frozen raw so I don't need to. I also would just lightly cook the meat.

Here's a couple of references:

https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/food/homemade-dog-food-ingredients-3-essential-foods-for-dogs/

https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/food/home_prepared/how-to-make-your-own-dog-food/

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Harvey Update: All blood work came back normal. So that is a relief! I assume this is just the typical tremor that seems to be so common.

It is so scary to watch but since doing it the following morning one time i have ot seen them occur since. So 2 days now which i am thankful for.

I will be taking the recommendation on the CBD oil though! Thanks everyone for your support!!! I don't know what i would do without this community!

Also, any of you raw feeders or home cooking feeders have opinions on my home cooked recipe? Does it seem balanced? Am i missing anything??
Would love any and all feedback.. Until i go raw i just thought this was better than all kibble.

Personally yes my 2 cents...Your home cooked meals has a bit too much grains. You know an easier healthier way would simply add on each meals raw organ toppers. Go to your grocery or butcher, get different types of organs even hearts of either beef, chicken or duck, chopped them up in put in little ziploc bags n freeze them. Like that youā€™ll always have some on hand. Raw is loaded of probiotics. If you can find the green smelly tripe at your pet store even better. Grocery or butcher wonā€™t have the smelly tripe cause of inspection issues but theyā€™ll have the bleached ones which is not good! :)

FD00C218-3947-4456-AD09-F578A6948403.jpeg
CE297629-25EF-4E65-86B8-A10C922A565B.jpeg

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Personally yes my 2 cents...Your home cooked meals has a bit too much grains. You know an easier healthier way would simply add on each meals raw organ toppers. Go to your grocery or butcher, get different types of organs even hearts of either beef, chicken or duck, chopped them up in put in little ziploc bags n freeze them. Like that youā€™ll always have some on hand. Raw is loaded of probiotics. If you can find the green smelly tripe at your pet store even better. Grocery or butcher wonā€™t have the smelly tripe cause of inspection issues but theyā€™ll have the bleached ones which is not good! :)

View attachment 119101
View attachment 119102

:eek::eek:

Those pictures are not for the squeamish, that's for sure! I'm afraid I couldn't handle that!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
SysmƤ
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Vitamin B. Vitamin B is essential for the nervous system and most tremor cases have had great results with a vitamin B supplement.

OP
thett

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
re:
2lbs organic ground beef (boiled to death)
1 bag carrots & peas
1/8 acorn squash or small sweet potato
sometimes a little celery
red organic kidney beans
pure pumpkin
1/2-1 cup brown rice

If it's just for a few days or even a couple of weeks I wouldn't worry if it's balanced. If it's more long term there's no need to feed carbs, so I would take out the rice and kidney beans, and either add in frozen raw meaty bones like poultry Wingtips,Feet,Necks,Backs; or calcium carbonate powder. Plus some liver and heart. I'm scared my dog would choke on a chicken bone so I have't tried feeding them but I feed a commercial frozen raw so I don't need to. I also would just lightly cook the meat.

Here's a couple of references:

https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/food/homemade-dog-food-ingredients-3-essential-foods-for-dogs/

https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/food/home_prepared/how-to-make-your-own-dog-food/

Thank you! This is so helpful! It is the plan to continue long term, until i go real raw. I just want to ensure they are getting what they need and not getting what they don't need. I did buy a cow liver, but it was frozen. It's pretty large and i need to thaw it enough to cut into little pieces. Will it be ok to refreeze in small packages that i can use daily? I am a bit of a freak about refreezing stuff once its been thawed.. plus i think i'm going to have to make the husband do this prep.. :eeeew:

OP
thett

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey

View attachment 119101
View attachment 119102

Thanks Helene! I do have a heart i got from a local farmer. I will also look for the tripe. I am pretty sure they have it at the specialty pet store i go to.

OP
thett

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Thank you! This is so helpful! It is the plan to continue long term, until i go real raw. I just want to ensure they are getting what they need and not getting what they don't need. I did buy a cow liver, but it was frozen. It's pretty large and i need to thaw it enough to cut into little pieces. Will it be ok to refreeze in small packages that i can use daily? I am a bit of a freak about refreezing stuff once its been thawed.. plus i think i'm going to have to make the husband do this prep.. :eeeew:

It's ok to refreeze if you partially thaw it in the refrigerator, cut it up, and then refreeze. eg. I find that a 1 pound chunk of frozen raw dog food takes about 2 hr in fridge to semi thaw.

It's not great long term to just feed liver. Feed half liver (5% of total diet) and half other organ such as heart (5% of diet). Theoretically the ideal ratios are 70-80% muscle meat, 10% bone or calcium carbonate, 10% organs ( half of which is liver ), and if you did 70% muscle meat the last 10% is about 7% vegetables and 3% fruit.

You should give about 1250 mg calcium per 1000kcal of food, or another way of looking at is about 800 to 1,000 milligrams of calcium per pound of fresh food. A teaspoon of calcium carbonate powder is 1200mg calcium. You can buy calcium carbonate powder from Amazon.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that long term you should add fish oil and sea kelp to the home cooked diet.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
It's ok to refreeze if you partially thaw it in the refrigerator, cut it up, and then refreeze. eg. I find that a 1 pound chunk of frozen raw dog food takes about 2 hr in fridge to semi thaw.

It's not great long term to just feed liver. Feed half liver (5% of total diet) and half other organ such as heart (5% of diet). Theoretically the ideal ratios are 70-80% muscle meat, 10% bone or calcium carbonate, 10% organs ( half of which is liver ), and if you did 70% muscle meat the last 10% is about 7% vegetables and 3% fruit.

You should give about 1250 mg calcium per 1000kcal of food, or another way of looking at is about 800 to 1,000 milligrams of calcium per pound of fresh food. A teaspoon of calcium carbonate powder is 1200mg calcium. You can buy calcium carbonate powder from Amazon.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that long term you should add fish oil and sea kelp to the home cooked diet.

Correct me if Iā€™m wrong, but isnā€™t ground eggshell another option for calcium?

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Correct me if Iā€™m wrong, but isnā€™t ground eggshell another option for calcium?

Yes, agreed, but seems like more work than just buying some calcium carbonate. I guess if you eat a lot of eggs....

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thanks Helene! I do have a heart i got from a local farmer. I will also look for the tripe. I am pretty sure they have it at the specialty pet store i go to.

Listen, donā€™t worry about calculating the % of organs, muscles, tripe, supplements etc. A raw topper on the main meals is very healthy along with a quality kibble. Itā€™s better all raw but donā€™t break your head. Start slowly n gradually you will figure out what to for your dog. Donā€™t overdo with all sorts of vitamins either, itā€™s a proven fact youā€™re better off getting your vitamins from Mother Nature n from food. You can use something for joints as itā€™s what goes first as in humans. But definitely no need to give everything under the sun. Dog or humans will not live any longer by popping supplements daily. Itā€™s all about what you eat just like in a pet. If youā€™re dog eats healthy with a proper raw topper, heā€™ll be fine. And yes needs exercises. :)

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.