thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
So yesterday Harvey started having head tremors.. he did it about 6x yesterday evening and just again this morning.
I am taking him in for a work up in 2 hours but man am i freaked out.

I have seen many posts of EB's experiencing this and i know there isn't always anything you can do.. I have always said, i am SO thankful my babies don't have this because it's so scary to watch and know you can't do anything about it. Now i am in that position..

When he first did it i immediately gave him a spoonful of honey.. then a little peanut butter, then a little yogurt..
I also put a drop of frankinsense on the inside of his ears. I try to distract him to bring him out of it but it is so hard to watch him have these.

He has always been very healthy & this is scaring me. I am wracking my brain trying to figure out what could have brought this on.. and i can think of 2 possibilities.

1. We did have the outside of our house sprayed the other day for bugs.. (it is supposed to be pet safe, unless they were to lop up gallons of it). It dries very quick and they weren't outside till it was dry. However lots of stuff is falling from the trees right now and Harvey likes to eat whatever bits or leaves or buds are on the ground. Could some of that spray gotten on some of that and he ate it??

2. A month ago i started home cooking some food for the kids and have gradually worked it into their diet. They are now 1/2 kibble and 1/2 home cooked at each meal. (I want to go raw but not ready yet, mentally or financially)

The ingredients are all cooked:
2lbs organic ground beef (boiled to death)
1 bag carrots & peas
1/8 acorn squash or small sweet potato
sometimes a little celery
red organic kidney beans
pure pumpkin
1/2-1 cup brown rice

They eat Fromm kibble. Harvey gets lamb and Stella gets Beef. So right now they have been 1/2 kibble half home cooked. with minced frozen green beans on top. plus 2 days a week a sardine on top too.
They have been loving this food and seem very happy. Stools have been good.. but now i am questioning, have i added something i shouldn't or missed something they need?

*Additionally, this last batch which has just been the last 2 days, the ground beef came from a local farm... previously i had been buying store bought. Is it possible there is something wrong with the meat? if so, i would think Stella might experience some kind of issues too.

I would love any thoughts or feedback...
Thanks in advance,
#onescaredmommy

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The cause of these is unknown.. many theories exist... allergies is one. But the full name is idiopathic tremors, Do as you have been and continue to distract them when they occur. Our guy gets them on occasion and a treat or some some playtime always stops them or lessens the time. Of them happening.

Let us know how you make out at the vet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
thett

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
Thank you! I certainly will. I just want to make sure to rule out any toxins. :pray2:

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
All of what Christine said plus...do not be surprised if Harvey seems a little lethargic after an episode. Most tremors present immediately after waking up but can come on most anytime. Figure if you see them twice in a day they're probably happening 4-5 times a day.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thank you! I certainly will. I just want to make sure to rule out any toxins. :pray2:

I always send this like to any members that their dogs have or started tremors/seizures. Basically this link shows proof that a the specific essential oil works. Itā€™s called frankincense. Use a quality one like DoTerra or Young Living EO are mostly all anti-inflammatory. Works with the immune n nervous system.

https://www.facebook.com/jerry.montella.9/posts/10214983522840126

OP
thett

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
Hi! I am sitting at the vet now while they do some bloodwork. I want to ensure there are no issues with his organs etc.

I have read the posts on the frankincense oil. I did apply 1 drop to each ear after the first episode. I am using doterra oils.

Unfortunately it didnā€™t stop them from happening again but I will keep trying it.

OP
thett

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
All of what Christine said plus...do not be surprised if Harvey seems a little lethargic after an episode. Most tremors present immediately after waking up but can come on most anytime. Figure if you see them twice in a day they're probably happening 4-5 times a day.

Uggg.. i hate the thought of it happening much more than what i am seeing, but you are probably right!
I am glad you mentioned about being lethargic after because all morning he has been that way.. it at least gives me comfort that that is normal.
Thank you!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I always send this like to any members that their dogs have or started tremors/seizures. Basically this link shows proof that a the specific essential oil works. Itā€™s called frankincense. Use a quality one like DoTerra or Young Living EO are mostly all anti-inflammatory. Works with the immune n nervous system.

https://www.facebook.com/jerry.montella.9/posts/10214983522840126

I thought you like CBD oil for seizures nowadays ? I don't know if CBD oil is used for idiopathic head tremours but it is used quite a bit for epilepsy. Usual dose is 1mg to 6mg of CBD per 10 pounds of body weight, depending on the dog. Start at lower end and increase dose as needed.

https://market.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/products/cbd-oil-for-dogs#Q8

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I thought you like CBD oil for seizures nowadays ? I don't know if CBD oil is used for idiopathic head tremours but it is used quite a bit for epilepsy. Usual dose is 1mg to 6mg of CBD per 10 pounds of body weight, depending on the dog. Start at lower end and increase dose as needed.

https://market.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/products/cbd-oil-for-dogs#Q8

Yes CBD is great too but.... Iā€™m the type that will use something if Iā€™ve seen it with my own eye as we say...But yes definitely if it was one of my pups, they would be doing both.

OP
thett

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
Thanks all, I do have hemp treats for relaxing them.. is there a brand of cbd oil any of you recommend? It is certainly worth trying!
I know there are a lot of brands and Iā€™m sure not all created equal

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Thanks all, I do have hemp treats for relaxing them.. is there a brand of cbd oil any of you recommend? It is certainly worth trying!
I know there are a lot of brands and Iā€™m sure not all created equal

You want organic, made in USA, CO2 extracted, full spectrum, THC free. Give about 10-20 mg twice a day sublingually. [MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION]

I've never used it, but some quick searches

https://www.nhhempstore.com/product/full-spectrum-hemp-extract-for-pets-dogs-cats/1?cp=true&sa=false&sbp=false&q=false&category_id=4

https://www.thecbdistillery.com/product/600mg-30ml-cbd-pet-tincture/

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Iā€™ve tried quite a few CBD oils but Iā€™ve been using this one for a few months now and you can order it online. I use the extra high potency darker formula one for Jax. As stated, with cbd oil the dosage is a big range that goes by weight so youā€™ll have to play around the amount. Jax was getting 3 drops but I just increased to 5 drops as he was showing signs of arthritis. And donā€™t worry, you canā€™t OD on cbd oil.

https://www.wiselypet.com/shop/?_sft_product_cat=cbd-for-dogs&orderby=popularity

yankydoodle

Nov 28, 2016
Country
South Africa
Bulldog(s) Names
princess, kleintjie
Feed your doggy plain yoghurt. Our youngest had head tremors. And that solved it.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Iā€™ve tried quite a few CBD oils but Iā€™ve been using this one for a few months now and you can order it online. I use the extra high potency darker formula one for Jax. As stated, with cbd oil the dosage is a big range that goes by weight so youā€™ll have to play around the amount. Jax was getting 3 drops but I just increased to 5 drops as he was showing signs of arthritis. And donā€™t worry, you canā€™t OD on cbd oil.

https://www.wiselypet.com/shop/?_sft_product_cat=cbd-for-dogs&orderby=popularity

OK I seriously need to pick your brain on the oils... do you think they would help calm Willow down?!! Lol

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My Willow has had tremors... scared me to death, and sometimes Walter goes thru a fly-biting stage. I just distracted them w/treats, and it was over. It's extremely scary, but I couldn't find a cause for either of them... except to cause ME major anxiety and stress!!! Lol

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.