Hair loss

rocco24

May 30, 2021
Las Vegas, Nevada
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Hello everyone! Iā€™ve noticed for awhile now that Rocco has been losing hair on only one side of his body and Iā€™m not sure why. He had a bug bite that we got checked out a few weeks ago so they shaved the small area and youā€™ll see part of it is having difficulty growing back. Anyone else see anything like this?

Attachments

• 706872C3-0DE6-49FE-904B-9AFFDA9DD718.jpeg
    706872C3-0DE6-49FE-904B-9AFFDA9DD718.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 68
  • E80BBAD4-1E34-4C85-B305-5BCA6F68250F.jpeg
    E80BBAD4-1E34-4C85-B305-5BCA6F68250F.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 66

Peppa-pooch

Apr 5, 2022
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Peppa
I've heard that flaxseed oil helps with hair growth.
I've used coconut oil on Peppa's skin (belly) for rashes in the past and noticed it helped with hair growth too.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Sometimes it takes a long time. When Monty was shaved for his tail pocket surgery, it took over a year for it to completely fill in. I thought he was going to have a bald butt forever!

OP
rocco24

rocco24

May 30, 2021
Las Vegas, Nevada
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
I've heard that flaxseed oil helps with hair growth.
I've used coconut oil on Peppa's skin (belly) for rashes in the past and noticed it helped with hair growth too.
So you just apply it directly to the skin?

OP
rocco24

rocco24

May 30, 2021
Las Vegas, Nevada
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Hello everyone! Iā€™ve noticed for awhile now that Rocco has been losing hair on only one side of his body and Iā€™m not sure why. He had a bug bite that we got checked out a few weeks ago so they shaved the small area and youā€™ll see part of it is having difficulty growing back. Anyone else see anything like this?
Hi all! Just coming back to this as his patch only seems to have gotten worse.. not sure if anyoneā€™s dealt with this before? We changed his food to open farm and started giving him salmon oil hoping that would help but nothing.

Attachments

• F02F2CF6-4887-4F21-B2B0-4A2382738C60.jpeg
    F02F2CF6-4887-4F21-B2B0-4A2382738C60.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hi all! Just coming back to this as his patch only seems to have gotten worse.. not sure if anyoneā€™s dealt with this before? We changed his food to open farm and started giving him salmon oil hoping that would help but nothing.

Has it gotten worse since the food switch??

What protein are you feeding??

Does he do any of the following;
-licking paws
-scratching/itching the area
-hives/bumps
-red skin
-skin rashes

What were you feeding him before the open farm??

Now that you switched to open farm- which formula is he getting? Do you find itā€™s worse after the food change? Does he scratch it?

Also, Melatonin is good for unexplained fur loss thatā€™s not allergy related. Have you tried that for him??

Last edited:
OP
rocco24

rocco24

May 30, 2021
Las Vegas, Nevada
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Has it gotten worse since the food switch??

What protein are you feeding??

Does he do any of the following;
-licking paws
-scratching/itching the area
-hives/bumps
-red skin
-skin rashes

What were you feeding him before the open farm??

Now that you switched to open farm- which formula is he getting? Do you find itā€™s worse after the food change? Does he scratch it?

Also, Melatonin is good for unexplained fur loss thatā€™s not allergy related. Have you tried that for him??
I hadnā€™t really noticed and he took a way better liking to this food than what we fed him before which was Fromm chicken recipe and now heā€™s also getting the chicken and turkey recipe from open farm. I thought about switching him to the salmon recipe.
The only thing he does from your list is lick his paws. I havenā€™t tried Melatonin, is there a specific brand I should look into?

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I hadnā€™t really noticed and he took a way better liking to this food than what we fed him before which was Fromm chicken recipe and now heā€™s also getting the chicken and turkey recipe from open farm. I thought about switching him to the salmon recipe.
The only thing he does from your list is lick his paws. I havenā€™t tried Melatonin, is there a specific brand I should look into?
Maybe he is allergic to chicken, thatā€™s the top allergy for bulldogs as well as grains.

I recommend you try him on Salmon or Lamb or beef as proteins so he is off the chicken, that could be the issue.

Licking his paws is a sign of allergies.

It could be food allergy or environmental allergies. Try him on a different protein.

The one I know of is the PetWellbeing brand, itā€™s holistic vet formulated, their products are great, I give 2 of my dogs their kidney support and Life Gold and Urinary gold l, which work great. I havenā€™t had to use any melatonin for them.

I highly recommend the Pet Wellbeing
Brand.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
It can take a year, possible years for the hair to fill in.
We took in a rescue(Dozer) nearly 3 years ago with bilateral flank alopecia...about like your pup has. Getting him off the Purina junk he was eating and on quality food [we think] has helped him recover and now he's completely filled in one one side and nearly filled in on the other. Keep with the good food you're feeding(trying different proteins) and hope that it gets better. Sometimes, however, it does not. FWIW, we've found that Chicken and Beef are the most problematic proteins for Bulldogs although some Bulldogs do just fine with them.

betterxthanxnew

Apr 21, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA.
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Effie (EB), Oliver (FB) & Annabel (FB)
Could this possibly just be seasonal flank alopecia? I know it's very common in bulldogs and at one point my old EB (Josie) looked very similar to this! Effie has had it before too, but not in the last several years, thankfully. Melatonin is used to help treat this, among a few other things. There's probably an abundance of info here on EBN about it already :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
NuStock will help most times for hair to grow back, but I have always seen SA with the skin turned black. But it won't hurt!

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
Itā€™s already been mentioned but it does sometimes take a very long time to grow back, Dudley was shaved for an operation and took over 6 months to grow back.

Does amaze me it takes so long considering every time i empty the vacuum cleaner there seems to be enough fur to completely cover another bulldog :giggle:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.