Hair loss around inside of eyes?

qoquw

Jun 29, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ross
My 15 month old bulldog has been having some skin/yeast issues lately. His ears have been yeasty and hes been itching around his face and belly. He was also getting green goopy eyes so I started him on allergy meds which helped the goopiness but he was still itching. So I thought maybe the yeast was bothering him so I started some antibiotics that I had from the last time he was at the vet. His itching has got a little bit better and one of his ears is clear while the other is still red.

I am also slowly switching his food from 4Health Duck and Potato to Fromm Beef Frittata because I thought the potato is probably not helping the itch, but he isn't completely switched over yet.

When I started giving him the antibiotic I stopped the allergy med because I wasn't sure about giving him both. A couple days after giving antibiotics, he now seems to be losing some hair around the inside corner of his eyesj and they are reddish (not on the actual eye itself). It's not where tear stains would be.

I'm trying so hard to find out how to make my little guy comfortable. We probably will ultimately end up allergy testing at the vet but I was trying to figure out his issues on my own....any ideas about the hair loss around the eyes? Could it be because I stopped the allergy med?

Sorry this is so long...

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Antibiotics will help a bacterial infection but won't help with yeast. Ketoconazole works best on yeast. I recommend seeing a Vet for proper diagnosis and medication regimen. Have Vet check him for demodectic mange. Potatoes, especially sweet potatoes feed yeast, BTW. Beef is one of the least tolerated proteins for Bulldogs. There are exceptions, however...so getting the allergy test done may be helpful. The testing(both types) can be VERY expensive. Post pics showing the affected areas if you can, please.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
My 15 month old bulldog has been having some skin/yeast issues lately. His ears have been yeasty and hes been itching around his face and belly. He was also getting green goopy eyes so I started him on allergy meds which helped the goopiness but he was still itching. So I thought maybe the yeast was bothering him so I started some antibiotics that I had from the last time he was at the vet. His itching has got a little bit better and one of his ears is clear while the other is still red.

I am also slowly switching his food from 4Health Duck and Potato to Fromm Beef Frittata because I thought the potato is probably not helping the itch, but he isn't completely switched over yet.

When I started giving him the antibiotic I stopped the allergy med because I wasn't sure about giving him both. A couple days after giving antibiotics, he now seems to be losing some hair around the inside corner of his eyesj and they are reddish (not on the actual eye itself). It's not where tear stains would be.

I'm trying so hard to find out how to make my little guy comfortable. We probably will ultimately end up allergy testing at the vet but I was trying to figure out his issues on my own....any ideas about the hair loss around the eyes? Could it be because I stopped the allergy med?

Sorry this is so long...

Is it Apoquel you were giving for allergies??

Antibiotics only work on infections, but they destroy all the gut bacteria that help his immune system.

If itā€™s yeast, a raw diet would be the most beneficial to him, I know and see a lot of dogs with allergies and yeast issues and all of them have cleared up on raw diet because there is no starch(starch and carbs are needed to make kibble and hold it together and is 30-60% carbs in kibble) however dogs that donā€™t have yeast issues might not have an issue on a good quality kibble.
2 of my dogs have yeast issues, I give them Probiotics, and bovine Colostrum for environmental allergies, feed raw diet, and no yeast issues anymore.

My dog that was on apoquel for allergies a long time ago, it suppresses the immune system leading to other issues, like yeast issues and tons of Heath issues and Tumors(my dog has 3 tumours Removed because of that apoquel).
Cytopoint doesnā€™t work on my dog either and is a injection version of apoquel.
My other dog before we knew it was allergies, the vet would just give him steroids and antibiotics. He was given antibiotics at least 2-3 times a month because it kept coming back, he would be put on antibiotics for 5-7 days and within 2 days he was cleared up, then after antibiotics were done, 2 days later problem returned, this was every time he had antibiotics! Now he is 100% antibiotics resistant to literally ALL antibiotics, there is not 1 antibiotic that will get rid of a skin infection if he gets one.

Also, I have done a allergy test for my dog, and we know for a fact, that no food allergy test is 100% accurate, my vet actually said itā€™s only 50% accurate, and itā€™s a good starting point.
One thing to keep in mind is that when you do the allergy test, if itā€™s saying he is allergic to lamb for example, if he has been exposed to lamb that can be true, BUT if it says he is allergic to lamb and he has never had lamb before, he likly isnā€™t allergic cause they have to be exposed to the food to truly be allergic to it.
But itā€™s all trial and error and finding what works.

Antibiotics also let yeast take over causing yeast overgrowth.

Not all people want to feed raw diet, which is ok but Iā€™m just telling you what I have experienced and what has helped my dogs.

Any photos or his eye and the fur loss???

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
All potatoes have starch n like mentioned sadly starch is a yeast feeder. Do get into a habit adding every other day fermented foods like fermented sauerkraut or fermented veggies as a topper to the kibbles. If on ā€œanyā€ meds, give it till meds are finished plus a few more extra days. Itā€™s to keep the gut flora going so it doesnā€™t kill the immune system. Do keep us posted.

Btw, if vets suggest Royal Cain, Science Hill or anything from Purina, refuse as youā€™ll have more issues. Stick with Fromm. šŸ™‚

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Antibiotics will help a bacterial infection but won't help with yeast. Ketoconazole works best on yeast. I recommend seeing a Vet for proper diagnosis and medication regimen. Have Vet check him for demodectic mange. Potatoes, especially sweet potatoes feed yeast, BTW. Beef is one of the least tolerated proteins for Bulldogs. There are exceptions, however...so getting the allergy test done may be helpful. The testing(both types) can be VERY expensive. Post pics showing the affected areas if you can, please.

Sorry this is so long...
Agree with @oscarmayer ā€¦ get checked for mange/mites

Tyson55

Feb 11, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson
Is it Apoquel you were giving for allergies??

Antibiotics only work on infections, but they destroy all the gut bacteria that help his immune system.

If itā€™s yeast, a raw diet would be the most beneficial to him, I know and see a lot of dogs with allergies and yeast issues and all of them have cleared up on raw diet because there is no starch(starch and carbs are needed to make kibble and hold it together and is 30-60% carbs in kibble) however dogs that donā€™t have yeast issues might not have an issue on a good quality kibble.
2 of my dogs have yeast issues, I give them Probiotics, and bovine Colostrum for environmental allergies, feed raw diet, and no yeast issues anymore.

My dog that was on apoquel for allergies a long time ago, it suppresses the immune system leading to other issues, like yeast issues and tons of Heath issues and Tumors(my dog has 3 tumours Removed because of that apoquel).
Cytopoint doesnā€™t work on my dog either and is a injection version of apoquel.
My other dog before we knew it was allergies, the vet would just give him steroids and antibiotics. He was given antibiotics at least 2-3 times a month because it kept coming back, he would be put on antibiotics for 5-7 days and within 2 days he was cleared up, then after antibiotics were done, 2 days later problem returned, this was every time he had antibiotics! Now he is 100% antibiotics resistant to literally ALL antibiotics, there is not 1 antibiotic that will get rid of a skin infection if he gets one.

Also, I have done a allergy test for my dog, and we know for a fact, that no food allergy test is 100% accurate, my vet actually said itā€™s only 50% accurate, and itā€™s a good starting point.
One thing to keep in mind is that when you do the allergy test, if itā€™s saying he is allergic to lamb for example, if he has been exposed to lamb that can be true, BUT if it says he is allergic to lamb and he has never had lamb before, he likly isnā€™t allergic cause they have to be exposed to the food to truly be allergic to it.
But itā€™s all trial and error and finding what works.

Antibiotics also let yeast take over causing yeast overgrowth.

Not all people want to feed raw diet, which is ok but Iā€™m just telling you what I have experienced and what has helped my dogs.

Any photos or his eye and the fur loss???
Raw all the way my dog keep getting cyst I switch to raw and wow what a difference no more cyst

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.