Fur falling out in clumps with white scabs

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
Rumble is losing his fur again. This has happened about twice a year for the last year and a half but never this bad. He loses his fur in clumps and the fur has little white pieces on the bottom. Once he loses the fur, his skin is clean meaning no scabs, no blood, just regular skin. We are thinking environmental allergies. He is on Zignature duck and we only feed duck treats. He has previously been on Salmon and Turkey. Always grain free, potato free. I'm at a loss and hate seeing him this way. My vet wants to send him to a dermatologist but it will be a 2 month wait.

Attachments

• 1497580989002919652836.jpg
    1497580989002919652836.jpg
    746.6 KB · Views: 170

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Hank did that last year and I added Krill oil to his diet... also coconut oil, or alternate... Or salmon ;) I even rubbed some coconut oil onto the spots and it all seemed to stop quickly once I started the oils. Right at this time of year as well... I'm sort of watching for it but making sure he has one or the other oil in his meals and hope to prevent it... Seemed real seasonal as it hasn't happened again, but keeping an eye..

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Ugh... so frustrating. Wally had demodex mange, and his fur had circles like that so I'm assuming that you guys did a skin scrape already. NOW all the hair on his sides are gone, and we have finally diagnosed it as seasonal alopecia.

I would get the dermatologist appointment, but in the meantime does he take a probiotic/prebiotic? I give Walter that with NuVet supplement, coconut oil and greek yogurt in the morning.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Rumble is losing his fur again. This has happened about twice a year for the last year and a half but never this bad. He loses his fur in clumps and the fur has little white pieces on the bottom. Once he loses the fur, his skin is clean meaning no scabs, no blood, just regular skin. We are thinking environmental allergies. He is on Zignature duck and we only feed duck treats. He has previously been on Salmon and Turkey. Always grain free, potato free. I'm at a loss and hate seeing him this way. My vet wants to send him to a dermatologist but it will be a 2 month wait.

Get so NuStock. It works!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I'm thinking it's staph. Staph will fall out in clumps, and its kinda crusty but then skin underneath is fine. Eventually hair will grow back. I reccomend getting him on some fish oil/omega, Staph is either from allergies or a weakened immune system. I'd also give all his bedding, toys, etc a good hot wash to kill the staph so he's not in re-contact with it over & over. Use Lysol for areas that can't be washed.

chitownbully

Nov 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
KINGSTON / PRINCE
my pup has this happen to him all year long. Once it clears up and his fur grows back, he gets another bout. Some times of the year worse than others. First couple of times it happened we took him to the vet and he was diagnosed with a staph infection. He was put on antibiotics and given a medicated shampoo. Because it happens so often we just keep an eye on it making sure there is no blood or irritation. it almost always goes away on its own. It doesn't bother him at all. No itching, etc. We were also told it could be allergies, and tried different types of food, but nothing seemed to help. In changing his food he developed other allergic symptoms and really bad tear stains, so we decided to put him back on his regular kibble. I'd rather deal with this, than an ear, nose and pocket tail infections. We apply coconut oil daily and he also gets coconut oil as a treat daily. It doesn't hurt to try the oils. I would say it helps and he love it! hope this helps!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

hey Tiff --- good to see you again.... sorry it is for Rumble having issues... did your vet check for staph or ringworm. I'm totally thinking staph.... is he on any probiotics? as someone else mentioned, try nu-stock, many here swear by it ... it smells really bad but works wonders.

Now, can we see a picture of that handsome boys face :D

OP
tiffykay06

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
20170602_165444.jpg20170611_183124.jpgSorry I've been gone so long! I'm on the board (event coordinator) for Tornado Alley Bulldog Rescue and it keeps me beyond busy! His appt is this evening so I will know more then. I asked my vet on Wednesday when I was there for Bubba to get his bandage removed from ear hematoma surgery.

Rumble gets a hip vitamin daily and coconut oil in his food. I will try applying it to his spots and also Nustock.

And here is a photo of Rumble sleeping (such a rough life!) And his brother Lord Bubba after surgery (notice he is plotting revenge!)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
View attachment 106542View attachment 106543Sorry I've been gone so long! I'm on the board (event coordinator) for Tornado Alley Bulldog Rescue and it keeps me beyond busy! His appt is this evening so I will know more then. I asked my vet on Wednesday when I was there for Bubba to get his bandage removed from ear hematoma surgery.

Rumble gets a hip vitamin daily and coconut oil in his food. I will try applying it to his spots and also Nustock.

And here is a photo of Rumble sleeping (such a rough life!) And his brother Lord Bubba after surgery (notice he is plotting revenge!)

Such Handsome fellas!!!! Keep us posted on both your boys

Congratulations on the rescue board... let us know when you have events.. post here for more visibility ... good place to spears the word

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.