Fromm drops chewy.com as a retailer, time for new food

rkneeshaw

Mar 28, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Edna
Chewy has been so fast, affordable, and convenient for me, I've been extremely happy with them.

So it pissed me off when I found out today that Fromm thinks chewy is big and bad and ugly because they got bought by PetSmart and now refuses to let chewy sell their product, and instead suggests I find some local independent that I can buy from who will charge me more for the convenient service of telling me that Fromm is a great product for my dog.

No thanks.

Time for a new food for Edna

Edna has been on adult grain free Fromm since she turned 1 almost a year ago, and she's done very well on it. I wish she had less tear stains but other than that, she is incredibly healthy and energetic.

Is taste of the wild still a successful grain free food used by most bulldog owners for our little furry friends with their sensitive stomachs?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Chewy has been so fast, affordable, and convenient for me, I've been extremely happy with them.

So it pissed me off when I found out today that Fromm thinks chewy is big and bad and ugly because they got bought by PetSmart and now refuses to let chewy sell their product, and instead suggests I find some local independent that I can buy from who will charge me more for the convenient service of telling me that Fromm is a great product for my dog.

No thanks.

Edna has been on adult grain free Fromm since she turned 1 almost a year ago, and she's done very well on it. I wish she had less tear stains but other than that, she is incredibly healthy and energetic.

Is taste of the wild still a successful grain free food used by most bulldog owners for our little furry friends with their sensitive stomachs?

Too many recalls TOTW!!! Stick to orijen, Acana, fromm if you want to stay on kibbles
Here's a great link. Feel free to ask us questions if you're not sure.
Welcome n would love to see a photo of Edna,
Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I would also consider switching to raw or dehydrated raw if you don't mind the extra expense. Some brands of dehydrated raw include Grandma Lucy's, Honest Kitchen, Spot Farms, and Only Natural EasyRaw to just name a few. Or frozen raw patties if you have an extra freezer. Supposedly dogs feed raw food have less tartar, urine that doesn't burn grass, and less allergies. If the raw food is low fibre then less poops too. My dog is on EasyRaw which is high fibre and has 2-3 large poops per day ( more than she had on kibble ) .

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I don't really understand this pattern of higher end companies not selling to big box stores. eg. Not being able to buy Fromms or Orijen at a Petsmart, or Toto toilets at a Home Depot, or Bradford White water heaters at Home Depot .Do they think that we need personalized sale staff to recommend their product or is it for cachet?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I don't really understand this pattern of higher end companies not selling to big box stores. eg. Not being able to buy Fromms or Orijen at a Petsmart, or Toto toilets at a Home Depot, or Bradford White water heaters at Home Depot .Do they think that we need personalized sale staff to recommend their product or is it for cachet?

I agree... and to be honest, Fromm's reputation is basically word of mouth. I've never had ONE person in the pet store come up to me and recommend Fromm's.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
There is a website on the internet that sells only Fromm's.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I agree... and to be honest, Fromm's reputation is basically word of mouth. I've never had ONE person in the pet store come up to me and recommend Fromm's.

Now that you mention it, I haven't either. The pet store I go to now carry the high end foods and the manager/owner (?) seems to be very knowledgeable and can discuss them all at length. She is the reason Monty is on Zignature now after Acana and all has been going well for the past 8 months. She did say once, you could try Fromms and see how it goes but that was about the extent of it. I have no axe to grind as Monty hasn't been on Fromm.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

No thanks.

I buy local... same price as Chewy and Petflow. Fromm is not the only one doing so... so there must be mire to it that we will never know.

i also get the free bag after buying 12, I can return no questions asked and get new. Worth looking into if she does well on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

No kick back, same reason you don't buy what is sold at a vet office --- big corporations wash each others hands. Ever notice there are some brands only at one store?

BullyDozer

Oct 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer

No thanks.

You could use petflow.com. I had the same issue and made the switch. Due to my location I get my orders next day just like I did with Chewy. The only difference is FedEx vs UPS.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
You could use petflow.com. I had the same issue and made the switch. Due to my location I get my orders next day just like I did with Chewy. The only difference is FedEx vs UPS.

I agree on the Petflow... I had great customer service and just felt same as Chewy's. I know there was a bad deal here with someones incounter with Petflow, but I wonder if that had to do with breakage of the package during shipment as I cant even imagine Petflow sending out something as horrid as it arrived...

Doobs41378

Mar 24, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Figgy
I emailed Fromm when I heard this and they responded back that when Chewy.com sold out to Petsmart that they decided to part ways. For my troubles Fromm sent me a coupon for a free bag of food. Pretty decent on their part.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
The big box stores don't normally sell exclusive lines since the manufacturing companies feel the stores cut prices to squeeze out smaller retailers. In the process, they destroy brand names and the product line becomes dominated by private labels. So you would end up going to Petco for Fromms, but end up with a bag of Authority or Simply Nourish, Petsmart's house brands because it looks the same and is cheaper. It's not because Fromm is being more ethical by not selling to Petsmart, it's in their own interest. Other examples include going to bathroom fixture showrooms for Toto toilets, furnace installation companies for Bradford-White water heaters because they're not sold at Home Depot.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The big box stores don't normally sell exclusive lines since the manufacturing companies feel the stores cut prices to squeeze out smaller retailers. In the process, they destroy brand names and the product line becomes dominated by private labels. So you would end up going to Petco for Fromms, but end up with a bag of Authority or Simply Nourish, Petsmart's house brands because it looks the same and is cheaper. It's not because Fromm is being more ethical by not selling to Petsmart, it's in their own interest. Other examples include going to bathroom fixture showrooms for Toto toilets, furnace installation companies for Bradford-White water heaters because they're not sold at Home Depot.

Exactly!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online