Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
Hi all,

My Frankie had a mostly white face but now 8months old and it seems freckles are coming through more is this common? Below is a puppy pic and now. Also started feeding natures logic and his poops are great but seems facial stains are worse thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_7451.jpeg
    IMG_7451.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_8271.jpeg
    IMG_8271.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hi all,

My Frankie had a mostly white face but now 8months old and it seems freckles are coming through more is this common? Below is a puppy pic and now. Also started feeding natures logic and his poops are great but seems facial stains are worse thoughts?

He is adorable !

Does he itch or chew paws?

Do you clean his face and wrinkles?

Are you feeding the chicken formula?
I recommend avoiding chicken cause itā€™s the most common allergy.

Natures logic is very premium food and is the best for allergies.
How long has he been on it?

For the tear stains, the Natures Logic uses berries in it and thatā€™s the best for tear stains.

Have you tried the Sardine formula? The sardine formula is really good for allergies too. And a good source of omega 3.

my French bulldog started having environmental allergies, I think he was 5-6 month old when he started having environmental allergies, and allergies right now are brutal for environmental. Pollen is flying around here.
he is 4 years now, allergies have been managed thru diet and supplements with a little help from a dermatologist which was 2 years ago cause his allergies were severe.
But itā€™s manageable thru the diet(raw food), Supplements(bovine colostrum and omega 3), and allergy specific immunotherapy(2 years he has been on it).

Tear stains are worse when my dog goes thru allergy flare for environmental allergies. Has been free from tear stains for 2 years though.

OP
Fbjdd

Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
He is adorable !

Does he itch or chew paws?

Do you clean his face and wrinkles?

Are you feeding the chicken formula?
I recommend avoiding chicken cause itā€™s the most common allergy.

Natures logic is very premium food and is the best for allergies.
How long has he been on it?

For the tear stains, the Natures Logic uses berries in it and thatā€™s the best for tear stains.

Have you tried the Sardine formula? The sardine formula is really good for allergies too. And a good source of omega 3.

my French bulldog started having environmental allergies, I think he was 5-6 month old when he started having environmental allergies, and allergies right now are brutal for environmental. Pollen is flying around here.
he is 4 years now, allergies have been managed thru diet and supplements with a little help from a dermatologist which was 2 years ago cause his allergies were severe.
But itā€™s manageable thru the diet(raw food), Supplements(bovine colostrum and omega 3), and allergy specific immunotherapy(2 years he has been on it).

Tear stains are worse when my dog goes thru allergy flare for environmental allergies. Has been free from tear stains for 2 years though.
Heā€™s on the beef aincent grain with millet. Heā€™s about half way through his fist bag. Wash and wipe his face daily. No itching or chewing paws and these got dark recently might change him to the grain free natures logic. Heā€™s always had beef treats so it canā€™t be the beef.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Heā€™s on the beef aincent grain with millet. Heā€™s about half way through his fist bag. Wash and wipe his face daily. No itching or chewing paws and these got dark recently might change him to the grain free natures logic. Heā€™s always had beef treats so it canā€™t be the beef.

Maybe try the grain free beef.

The red meat is grain free and so is the Land and sea(beef and fish), and thatā€™s grain free too.

Maybe try the Land and sea which is beef and fish.

If he has been on beef for a long time I would rotate proteins so he doesnā€™t develop food allergy to beef(my French bulldog took 60 days until he developed allergy to pork cause of no variety). Some dogs may take 2-4 months or a year at most but I always say to rotate proteins to prevent new allergies and every protein has its own benefits.

Since no itchy, chewing or licking paws that doesnā€™t sound like bad allergies.

How long has he been on beef?

I always rotate treats too so he doesnā€™t eat beef food or treats every day, I rotate between 1 ingredient kangaroo , goat or beef treats.

OP
Fbjdd

Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
Maybe try the grain free beef.

The red meat is grain free and so is the Land and sea(beef and fish), and thatā€™s grain free too.

Maybe try the Land and sea which is beef and fish.

If he has been on beef for a long time I would rotate proteins so he doesnā€™t develop food allergy to beef(my French bulldog took 60 days until he developed allergy to pork cause of no variety). Some dogs may take 2-4 months or a year at most but I always say to rotate proteins to prevent new allergies and every protein has its own benefits.

Since no itchy, chewing or licking paws that doesnā€™t sound like bad allergies.

How long has he been on beef?

I always rotate treats too so he doesnā€™t eat beef food or treats every day, I rotate between 1 ingredient kangaroo , goat or beef treats.
This is his first time on beef. His only other exposure to beef is heā€™s only had freeze dried beef liver treats. I think I will try the beef and fish grain free thank.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
This is his first time on beef. His only other exposure to beef is heā€™s only had freeze dried beef liver treats. I think I will try the beef and fish grain free thank.

Beef probably isnā€™t a issue then.

Keep me updated

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My white face Jake tends to get reddish on one fold. Itā€™s a closed in fold so itā€™s normal it will stay moist. Everyday I use a paper towel n dry it up along with his rope.

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Looking at an enlarged version of your photo, I see the redness in the fold right above the nose as well as the folds by the eyes. Have you noticed a rawness in those areas? The fluid released from a raw area, mixed with tears, can cause the discoloration. Tebow looks the same, looks like tear stains and it's a yeast infection causing it. I took him to the vet because I thought something was in one eye as the tear stain was greater on one initially. No corneal abrasions, no squinting, no light sensitivity, symptoms of uveitis. But he had a slight "Fritos" smell. This tear staining started 3 days after I started giving him Pup-A-Roni training treats in his obedience class and had gradually worsened. I'm just taking a shot that it is the treats that may have brought this on because he was fine before. I stopped the treats 4 days ago and am cleaning his folds twice a day with MiconaHex+Triz sprayed on soft cotton makeup wipes. His feet have also been affected so I have started soaking him in epsom salts in the tub plus the medicated spray. Just a thought for you-might want to rule out a yeast infection and have you added any new foods or treats lately. I'm patiently waiting to see if it was the treats causing this, assuming we get this under control soon.

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
For me it has always been caused by food or treats. But water is another cause as are eye issues.

Are the only treats you give the dried liver? What kind of water are you giving?

I would:
- filtered water
- stop all foods other than the kibble
- pick up some ā€œWrinkle Pasteā€, or ā€œwhite winkleā€ powder. use it to get the area under control.

Once the area is under control you should be able to figure out what ingredients are causing it. If you canā€™t get it under control, you may have to have his eye looked at. You may have to change food.

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
For me it has always been caused by food or treats. But water is another cause as are eye issues.

Are the only treats you give the dried liver? What kind of water are you giving?

I would:
- filtered water
- stop all foods other than the kibble
- pick up some ā€œWrinkle Pasteā€, or ā€œwhite winkleā€ powder. use it to get the area under control.

Once the area is under control you should be able to figure out what ingredients are causing it. If you canā€™t get it under control, you may have to have his eye looked at. You may have to change food.
Our neighborhood FB page just had a posting on the chlorine smell in the water. I didn't notice it but I do know that Tebow doesn't drink as much as I would like. Drove straight down to Walmart, got a small Brita filter pitcher. After the first pitcher was processed, I poured it into his bowl and he EMPTIED IT! That was almost 3 cups. Since that, he has really upped his fluid intake.

I quit the treats which is going to make the obedience training a little more challenging. I have incorporated clicker training (click with my tongue, not that nuisance clicker) and little pets and "Good boy" are the treats there. (I trained my draft horse with clicker training so why not the dog, right?) So maybe we can cull out the treats. I have been giving him the mini milk bones for months though not for training so I don't think those are an issue. Tebow likes carrots so I might try those.

I've been using Miconazole+Triz on his wrinkles and feet twice a day. He's finally not fighting me on that. I'll have to see if the Natural Dog Wrinkle Balm can be used. It's helping his little chin. He also gets probiotics in his AM food and I just started Pet Honesty Allergy Support chews. I have read that such systemic reactions are likely due to a food sensitivity or grass. Well, my yard has very little grass. But the gist was that treating it topically isn't going to solve the issue, that gut bacteria has to get in order. Short of having him placed on antibiotics, considered a last resort by the vet, I hope these probiotic supplements help. The vet checked his eyes for corneal abrasions and other abnormalities and found nothing wrong. The wrinkle from the tear duct down is raw for about 1/2". I think the discoloration is caused by the serous fluid draining from those. I also have the Eye Envy Tear Stain kit & have used that per advice from another. I'm not sure if that is effective so I have stopped that.

And lastly, we are on our way to Petsmart to try a different food. He's been on Fromme Puppy Gold since he was with Jackie. I'm going to try Nature's Balance Puppy Lamb formula, transition to that if he tolerates it.

We're entered in a handful of upcoming shows and I hope this is under some control by then, though I doubt it will be gone by next Saturday. I hate using that white chalk to hide flaws but may have to resort to that. I don't know if those tear stains will affect the judge's evaluation. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for the advice, Benny. Hope to see you & Wednesday on the road soon!

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
The wrinkle stains _shouldnā€™t_ affect judging but it all comes down to the judgeā€™s opinion.

Millieā€™s gets raw sometimes maybe 1/4-1/2ā€. I think itā€™s usually a specific treat causing it. I still give all the treats but the suspicious one I give far less. I believe it gets irritated from the allergy, weeps, gets raw from the moisture and then weeps more and feeds itself. The staining down the fold appears when she gets certain foods but if you daily clean and keep it dry (and itā€™s already healed up), the stains are pretty easy to keep from lasting.

When raw the number one priority is to get it clean and dry so it doesnā€™t snowball. I can normally catch it and fix the problem in less than a day with the daily cleaning and making it a point to examine her face whenever we are interacting.

Anyway, the white winkle and the wrinkle paste both work great to heal and keep the area dry - itā€™s zinc oxide. The white winkle is expensive and you have to import it :( If you want to try some I can meet up with you at one of the upcoming shows. We are pretty tied up next weekend though unfortunately.

Our next show is probably going to be Vandergrift PA, then West Friendship (by @rjisaterp) in July. Wednesday wanted a months break now that school is out, and Millie was completely out of control last weekend (she might show a friendā€™s dog in juniors in July)

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Our neighborhood FB page just had a posting on the chlorine smell in the water. I didn't notice it but I do know that Tebow doesn't drink as much as I would like. Drove straight down to Walmart, got a small Brita filter pitcher. After the first pitcher was processed, I poured it into his bowl and he EMPTIED IT! That was almost 3 cups. Since that, he has really upped his fluid intake.

I quit the treats which is going to make the obedience training a little more challenging. I have incorporated clicker training (click with my tongue, not that nuisance clicker) and little pets and "Good boy" are the treats there. (I trained my draft horse with clicker training so why not the dog, right?) So maybe we can cull out the treats. I have been giving him the mini milk bones for months though not for training so I don't think those are an issue. Tebow likes carrots so I might try those.

I've been using Miconazole+Triz on his wrinkles and feet twice a day. He's finally not fighting me on that. I'll have to see if the Natural Dog Wrinkle Balm can be used. It's helping his little chin. He also gets probiotics in his AM food and I just started Pet Honesty Allergy Support chews. I have read that such systemic reactions are likely due to a food sensitivity or grass. Well, my yard has very little grass. But the gist was that treating it topically isn't going to solve the issue, that gut bacteria has to get in order. Short of having him placed on antibiotics, considered a last resort by the vet, I hope these probiotic supplements help. The vet checked his eyes for corneal abrasions and other abnormalities and found nothing wrong. The wrinkle from the tear duct down is raw for about 1/2". I think the discoloration is caused by the serous fluid draining from those. I also have the Eye Envy Tear Stain kit & have used that per advice from another. I'm not sure if that is effective so I have stopped that.

And lastly, we are on our way to Petsmart to try a different food. He's been on Fromme Puppy Gold since he was with Jackie. I'm going to try Nature's Balance Puppy Lamb formula, transition to that if he tolerates it.

We're entered in a handful of upcoming shows and I hope this is under some control by then, though I doubt it will be gone by next Saturday. I hate using that white chalk to hide flaws but may have to resort to that. I don't know if those tear stains will affect the judge's evaluation. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for the advice, Benny. Hope to see you & Wednesday on the road soon!
I have seen plenty of dogs with tear stains and even yeasty feet place at the dog shows.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
@paw7004 and @Fbjdd

I totally forgot to mention, for Rustyā€™s tear stains, his wrinkles would get raw and moist, I would dry them and then put Natural dog company wrinkle balm on it which helped.

Other than the food change and improving allergies, I gave him Four Leaf Rover brand, Red Rover berries and thatā€™s cleared it up, if I forgot to add it to his food, his wrinkles start to go back to square 1.

Also the other thing I did was give the dogs ONLY fridge filtered water instead of tap water. Havenā€™t had any issues with tear stains for 2 years now since I improved his allergies they diet and supplements and gave Red Rover berries and fridge filter water.
I canā€™t remember the last time I had to use the wrinkle balm.

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Benny, I'm glad you mentioned zinc oxide! We used to recommend that for severe diaper rash in our clinic! I found Boudreaux's Butt Paste at CVS, 40% zinc oxide. I'm going to give that a shot if the Natural Dog Wrinkle Balm doesn't help. That's what I've been using on his chin.

We'll be in Fisherville, VA next weekend, then the Doswell shows. Only 2 of those, June 22-23 yet might enter all in the following week. I don't mind the drive to Doswell. Sure beats having to pay for a hotel.

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Thatā€™ll probably work great. Just be gentle when you get up close to the eye not to jam it in there ;)

Members online

No members online now.