For those that like it RAW....

PapaSmurf2

Bike riding, bully loving soldier
Jan 21, 2013
Hattiesburg MS
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie
We are using a mix of kibble and raw. All of the food Gracie gets is fresh out of the pasture. My question is we also supplement our food pantry by fishing and hunting. Does anyone use wild game (fish, venison, turkey, etc) as part of their dog's raw diet? Or do I have to bite the bullet and buy fish at the store?

thanks in advance.....

ame16

Oct 18, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor ('Elly')
Wild fish and game is fine. If the fish is from a sketchy watersource, though, it may be prudent to freeze it for a few weeks before feeding. Also, be careful that there are no hooks or lures in their stomach.

With that said, I'd advise against mixing raw and kibble. They are digested differently by dogs and this can lead to some GI issues.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Wild fish and game is fine. If the fish is from a sketchy watersource, though, it may be prudent to freeze it for a few weeks before feeding. Also, be careful that there are no hooks or lures in their stomach.

With that said, I'd advise against mixing raw and kibble. They are digested differently by dogs and this can lead to some GI issues.

I think he's not using commercial kibble but some home-made kibble. Right [MENTION=7909]PapaSmurf2[/MENTION]?

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
We are using a mix of kibble and raw. All of the food Gracie gets is fresh out of the pasture. My question is we also supplement our food pantry by fishing and hunting. Does anyone use wild game (fish, venison, turkey, etc) as part of their dog's raw diet? Or do I have to bite the bullet and buy fish at the store?

thanks in advance.....

I feed all types of protein sources. Variety is key so dog doesn't develop potential allergy to any given protein. I feed venison, turkey, duck, quail, rabbit, pheasant, salmon, makeral, sardines. For the most part I get meat in bulk from suppliers and the meat has already been deep frozen. If you are hunting and catching fish fresh. I would deepe freeze all meat and fish for 2 weeks @ -10F I believe. This will kill parasites if present in meat. This is especially important for salmon as they can carry a parasite that can. E fatal to dogs.

OP
PapaSmurf2

PapaSmurf2

Bike riding, bully loving soldier
Jan 21, 2013
Hattiesburg MS
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie
Yes, we make our own kibble. I'm not throwing a bunch of raw in with it...just a piece here and there. I hope she'll get used to it. But with the other two dogs kibble is a constant.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.