Food recommendation (for joint health/weight management)

lbgoldy

Jan 9, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lenny
Hello all,

Our 11 month old dog, Archie just had surgery on his elbows :(
He is doing well but the surgeon suggested we change his food to Hills J/D with management. We do not have an issue changing but that food (and mostly all of the other ones I've researched for joints etc) are chicken based.
Does anyone have a different food suggestion that does not include chicken as its protein? We also give him supplements so we are covered for that.
Thank you in advance for your help!

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hello all,

Our 11 month old dog, Archie just had surgery on his elbows :(
He is doing well but the surgeon suggested we change his food to Hills J/D with management. We do not have an issue changing but that food (and mostly all of the other ones I've researched for joints etc) are chicken based.
Does anyone have a different food suggestion that does not include chicken as its protein? We also give him supplements so we are covered for that.
Thank you in advance for your help!

I definitely recommend AVOIDING these brands as they are ALL fillers/garbage:
-Hills
-Purina
-Royal Canin
-Eukanuba
-science diet
-anything from vet or grocery store

A raw diet or premium dry is best if you can. Raw diet is really beneficial for joints and overall health and inflammation. Very Minimal inflammation in raw fed dogs. The carbs they don’t need and just cause inflammation in dogs(most kibble is 30-60% carbs) which means health issues.

What are you feeding now???

There is Carna 4 and Natures Logic brands that are premium dry food, Natures Logic is the lowest carb kibble there is. Both these brands are synthetic free and whole food based and have probiotics in it too. Both these brands have other protein options other than chicken.
Also they are both all life stages.

Carbs is also what makes dogs overweight, so low carb is best.

Natures logic or Carna 4 or raw diet would be best. The lowest carb is Natures logic and is more cost effective than Carna 4.

Kibbles that have added joint stuff in them, is VERY little to have any benefit anyway. So they can add a pinch or less of glucosamine in vet hills ‘joint ‘food and claim it for joint health.

Supplements for joint health:

Green lipped mussels it’s the whole food source of glucosamine and chondroitin so it’s more effective than synthetic glucosamine. Green lipped mussels are the best for joints and actually treated one of my other dogs arthritis.

omega 3 are also really good for joints too.

Tumeric is great for joint pain and inflammation too.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Bulldog2001 gave great suggestions...

raw will always be best and avoiding chicken as you stated... some other good quality kibbles are Open Farm, Farmina, Earthborn holistic,. We give Movoflex joint supplements and I make turmeric paste (turmeric/coconut oil) and add to their food.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Good stuff is to start with Turmeric Paste.

You can go straight to the bottom of the website n see the kibbles they suggest. They’re higher end kibbles.

Attachments

• IMG_1815.jpeg
    IMG_1815.jpeg
    288.8 KB · Views: 23

Bam_Halford

Jan 23, 2024
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Ozzy Pawsborn- Prince of Barkness, Clover O’Shenanigans, and Daffodil McDoofenshmirtz
Bulldog2001 gave great suggestions...

raw will always be best and avoiding chicken as you stated... some other good quality kibbles are Open Farm, Farmina, Earthborn holistic,. We give Movoflex joint supplements and I make turmeric paste (turmeric/coconut oil) and add to their food.
Stella and Chewy’s rabbit patties are great for bullies. It can be broken up into smaller pieces and mixed with Dr Harvey’s super food mix. I use the Paradigm Green. I recommend rabbit as the most frequently used meat source, as it is a “cool” lean meat. This does 2 things: it helps prevent too much weight gain while also decreasing chronic overheating. And common sense, the reduction in overheating, is secondary to keeping your pups weight manageable.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
When my dogs have needed to lose a few pounds, I cut back on their food and top with green beans. If he is on a food that suits him, unless you want to change, I would stick with it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.