Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
So it's been a while since I have been on with all the usual crazy things that life can throw at me. Tyson is of course struggling with allergies which may be a combo of environmental and possibly food again . The doctor prescribed Apoquel for him. The brats are currently on Taste of the Wild - Lamb flavor. Ty is itching and I see that Bella is as well and has been having some yeasties. So far we are not good with Salmon, Lamb, Beef and Chicken. They can be iffy on pork. I was contemplating trying Acana Duck & Pear. I was wondering if they have shown a reaction to chicken will it also be the same for any other type of poultry (duck, turkey)?

As always, suggestions, comments and any bully advice is greatly appreciated!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Many times but not always if they have a reaction to chicken they can have a reaction to duck as well. Food allergies can be a pain to pin point as it took us almost a year to figure out all the proteins that Harlea is allergic to. Even then for her it isn't so much what protein it is, but the amount she has with each meal. Lamb is considered a hot meat so if they are itchy on it I would transition so something else as soon as you can. Ultimately to find out without buying multiple bags of food we switched to The Honest Kitchen Preference base mix and then used small portions of meat to figure out what would set Harlea off with short detox periods between reactions is any.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Many times but not always if they have a reaction to chicken they can have a reaction to duck as well. Food allergies can be a pain to pin point as it took us almost a year to figure out all the proteins that Harlea is allergic to. Even then for her it isn't so much what protein it is, but the amount she has with each meal. Lamb is considered a hot meat so if they are itchy on it I would transition so something else as soon as you can. Ultimately to find out without buying multiple bags of food we switched to The Honest Kitchen Preference base mix and then used small portions of meat to figure out what would set Harlea off with short detox periods between reactions is any.

Running out of proteins....lol. Chicken, Beef, Lamb and Salmon are out. I was shocked to see that a Rabbit food had lamb and eggs in the bag as well. The amount of time I spend trying to read ingredients is amazing. Love how things get hidden in the list.Will take a roll at Pork again. These guys are lucky I love them so much. The crazy thing is that the vet did mention that even if they do well on a particular food/protein it can change. So what the heck do you do then.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You are good on Duck if there are chicken or turkey allergies ... try the Acana

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Birds have different chromosome sequences. So basically some dogs won’t tolerate chicken but will do fine on turkey or other birds. You need to go with one protein at a time. Not only chicken as beef also can be an issue. Time to time I change proteins so my dogs don’t eat the same thing. If I see a change I’ll know what Ive added needs to be removed.

Here’s a link that might help you understand more.

https://sitstay.com/blogs/good-dog-blog/protein-allergies-for-dogs

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You are good on Duck if there are chicken or turkey allergies ... try the Acana

Thanks. I am going to give it a shot and see how they do. Need to take a look at the ingredients and make sure there are no eggs. I feel bad because Ty has been scratching so bad that he likes to go to the yard and rub his face on the cement.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Birds have different chromosome sequences. So basically some dogs won’t tolerate chicken but will do fine on turkey or other birds. You need to go with one protein at a time. Not only chicken as beef also can be an issue. Time to time I change proteins so my dogs don’t eat the same thing. If I see a change I’ll know what Ive added needs to be removed.

Here’s a link that might help you understand more.

https://sitstay.com/blogs/good-dog-blog/protein-allergies-for-dogs

Thanks. I know the vet mentioned that they can do fine and then end up becoming allergic.

Has anyone tried the Natural Balance Vegetarian Food?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thanks. I know the vet mentioned that they can do fine and then end up becoming allergic.

Has anyone tried the Natural Balance Vegetarian Food?

Dogs are carnivores not cows... that bag is all grains. You’re just going to add more issues for your dog. Simply stick to Acana like you mentioned above. Natural Balance Vegetarian Food, the title says it all..VEGETARIAN. :(

Brown Rice, Oat Groats, Barley, Peas, Potato Protein, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Potatoes, Dicalcium Phosphate, Dried Tomato Pomace, Natural Flavor, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Minerals (ZINC PROTEINATE, ZINC SULFATE, FERROUS SULFATE, IRON PROTEINATE, COPPER ...

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
Hi Beth

I know just how bad this is, we have been through everything with our Dudley and after having him tested he came back with all the usual suspects, Beef, Duck, Chicken, Salmon amongst others, he is now on Pork and pumpkin kibble and the occasional tin of Vennison meat.

I don't know if you have altered anything else around the house though ? We changed the water filter to a "zero water" jug and changed all our cleaning and washing products to "BioD" and we have noticed a massive difference over the last two months. He has not had any flare ups since changing all the chemicals. We also stopped using air fresheners. If you haven't already done this i would highly recommend it!

Simon.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We have changed a lot around the house because I get allergies too. Plus my new niece is always around so I try to keep it as chemical free as possible. Going to make an appt to get the allergy panel done on him as well.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We have changed a lot around the house because I get allergies too. Plus my new niece is always around so I try to keep it as chemical free as possible. Going to make an appt to get the allergy panel done on him as well.

be sure he is off all steroids or other prescription immune suppressive for 30 days before you do the testing.... if those are in his system, there is a good chance you will get a false negative result. Basically, his results will come back as 'no allergies' because they are being suppressed by the drug

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
be sure he is off all steroids or other prescription immune suppressive for 30 days before you do the testing.... if those are in his system, there is a good chance you will get a false negative result. Basically, his results will come back as 'no allergies' because they are being suppressed by the drug

Thanks, good to know :D

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.