PumasDad

Oct 11, 2017
Houston TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Puma
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE :firecracker:

Im back and forth between LA NY and Houston. Im tired of boarding my Dog or leaving her with family members who dont even have dogs themselves(They all love her nonetheless).... I spoke to southwest and did my research. I can board with her in the cabin just have to pay the pet fee... I could even worse case buy all 2/3 seats not to inconvenience other passengers.

Im leaving Houston to La in a couple weeks (4hr flight). Now my question is will my Puma be safe as far as breathing etc as thats my concern since bulldogs are brachycephalic??? I have the option to fly her charter on the way back. She doesn't have any health problems at all and has a checkup on the 8th of Jan.

Im not looking to fly with her every time or make it constant but this time my GF who usually has her will be going aswell. Thank you

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I’m afraid you misunderstood something. No airline accepts that huge dogs like English bulldogs in cabin. Only very small pets which fit under the seat in pet carrier. Most of airlines don’t accept brachys even as cargo exactly because of the concern for their ability to supply themselves with oxygen.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Only very small pets which fit under the seat in pet carrier. Most of airlines don’t accept brachys even as cargo exactly because of the concern for their ability to supply themselves with oxygen.

A quick search...
"For pets traveling in the cabin, soft or hard-sided carriers should be a maximum of 18.5" x 8.5" x 13.5" (47 cm x 22 cm x 34 cm). They must be leak-proof, well ventilated, and small enough to fit under the seat in front. Your cat or dog must be able to stand up and move around the carrier with ease." If still a requirement, Puma will not fit.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
If someone has told you something different than the above posts, you had better search until you reach someone much "higher up" in the "food chain". Many airlines are not transporting pets anymore due to the "crazies" bringing ostriches,squirrels,snakes, as therapy animals. Please do not put her in cargo,it is so dangerous.

OP
P

PumasDad

Oct 11, 2017
Houston TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Puma
A quick search...
"For pets traveling in the cabin, soft or hard-sided carriers should be a maximum of 18.5" x 8.5" x 13.5" (47 cm x 22 cm x 34 cm). They must be leak-proof, well ventilated, and small enough to fit under the seat in front. Your cat or dog must be able to stand up and move around the carrier with ease." If still a requirement, Puma will not fit.

I reached out to some people on twitter who flew EB via southwest and posted the two ppl who responded said it was possible. I know thats iffy and probably very few occasions. Im just going to wait on it or get her driven out here if I ever stay more than 3 weeks.

Anyhow can I still put her on a charter??? im really considered about the breathing/oxygen part. I know of a local breeder who delivers pups via air but hasn't flown her grown dogs. She gave me the go ahead just confirming.

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
If Puma is your emotional support dog, she may fly on your lap or possibly in the seat next to you for purchase.... just sayin... give it a search

OP
P

PumasDad

Oct 11, 2017
Houston TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Puma
If someone has told you something different than the above posts, you had better search until you reach someone much "higher up" in the "food chain". Many airlines are not transporting pets anymore due to the "crazies" bringing ostriches,squirrels,snakes, as therapy animals. Please do not put her in cargo,it is so dangerous.

TRUST ME she'll never go cargo. I happen to have ties to an international musician who offered to fly her for me fo free. So thats the option im looking at just scared about the breathing issue

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
I cannot imagine that an in-cabin charter flight would be much of a risk, if any risk at all.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
IF, and I do mean IF, you fly her in cabin, that would be perfectly fine. She will breathe the same air you do. It's only in the hold that problems arise.

BellyRubs

Jun 7, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabelle
When you say on a charter what do you mean? Like on a Citation or Lear or King Air? If so that wouldn’t be as bad as your bull would be in the cabin with you. As for SWA be prepared to turn around and go home at the airport if an agent insists on checking your dog. I would NOT under ANY circumstances put any type of bracycephalic under the aircraft in the cargo hold. NEVER NEVER NEVER. SWA is a great airline and I hope it works out for you. Also the air inside the cabin can feel as high as 8000 ft (the higher the cruise altitude the higher the cabin altitude) so there’s even less oxygen to breathe for your dog.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BellyRubs

Jun 7, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabelle
Also regarding cargo holds on airliners. It’s not the fact that they’re in the hold because those are temperature regulated and also at the same cabin altitude as you upstairs in your seat. It’s the fact that it’s dark and your dog is surrounded by bags in an unfamiliar space. They get nervous and are always panting when I see them on the ramp waiting to be loaded. Most look sad as they are likely scared and don’t know what’s going on. THAT is why I’ll never check my dog.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
We had a French bulldog die here over Christmas as it was being flown and the airline left it out on the runway in the extreme heat and the poor baby died, this is another thing you have to consider too.
This was on our news not my pet.

JohnSnow

Sep 13, 2018
Country
Bolivia
Bulldog(s) Names
John Snow
Hello to all of you.
I need your advice.
I am a german girl who lives in Bolivia and three years ago we have adopted Snow (chancho), a male Bulldog, who now is part of the family.
Now we have to go back to germany and I found out that there is only one airline that allows international transport of Bulldogs in special conditions. (Lufthansa) They don*t fly to Bolivia, so I would have to get to Brasil somehow.. The flight to germany is really long and he would travel in the hold. (like 15 hours). I still try to see if this is an option, because the lady from the airline said she wasn*t so sure .. The only other option would be "in cargo"?- also with Lufthansa. But some of you said it is really dangerous. I don*t see any alternatives..

Do you have any Ideas?
:(

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Hello to all of you.
I need your advice.
I am a german girl who lives in Bolivia and three years ago we have adopted Snow (chancho), a male Bulldog, who now is part of the family.
Now we have to go back to germany and I found out that there is only one airline that allows international transport of Bulldogs in special conditions. (Lufthansa) They don*t fly to Bolivia, so I would have to get to Brasil somehow.. The flight to germany is really long and he would travel in the hold. (like 15 hours). I still try to see if this is an option, because the lady from the airline said she wasn*t so sure .. The only other option would be "in cargo"?- also with Lufthansa. But some of you said it is really dangerous. I don*t see any alternatives..

Do you have any Ideas?

Copying [MENTION=15780]Lalaloopsie[/MENTION] whose Tank had made such a long trip

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello to all of you.
I need your advice.

Do you have any Ideas?

Basically no airline will fly flat nose dogs. I’ve seen some people on European forums saying they went the cruise way. All by boat.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.