Flea treatment?

Chrisc0521

Jun 15, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
What do y'all use for fleas? Been reading and a lot of people use frontline but has mix reviews. What would y'all recommend me to use.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
What do y'all use for fleas? Been reading and a lot of people use frontline but has mix reviews. What would y'all recommend me to use.

Iā€™ve never use/used any flea treatment for any of my dogs in my lifetime but once for ball spots. Never worked!

This recipe below is what I use n never had one dog with fleas, ticks n even mosquitos. I hike n walk often my dogs in the Rockies so I definitely know this works. BTW, All flea meds you see out there are made with chemicals even them flea collars. Like wrapping your dog/cat with pesticides. Not good. A few members do use this recipe with great reviews. :yes: Essential oils are powerful so donā€™t add more of one n less of the others. Also use a quality oil like DoTerra or Young. :)

14 oz of Witch Hazel
12 drops of Lavender
15 drops of Citronella
15 drops of Lemongrass

Put all in a spray bottle and shake.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I use parastar only in summer months. I used to use Vecrta3Dā€¦. Both without issue

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
My first bulldog, Sammy, had seizures every few months and my last, Vada, had the head bobblesā€¦

Millieā€™s vet recently prescribed Simparica. Before giving her any I was curious how an oral worked to prevent ticks so I read the documentation that came with it. Then I read the website. šŸ˜¬šŸ¤¦

So I took the year worth of poisons back to the vet. They wanted me to get a collar from them instead so I said I would come back if reading about it went well. Of course that didnā€™t go well either.

Thanks @helsonwheels for your recipe! I think we will try that šŸ˜…

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My first bulldog, Sammy, had seizures every few months and my last, Vada, had the head bobblesā€¦

Millieā€™s vet recently prescribed Simparica. Before giving her any I was curious how an oral worked to prevent ticks so I read the documentation that came with it. Then I read the website. šŸ˜¬šŸ¤¦

So I took the year worth of poisons back to the vet. They wanted me to get a collar from them instead so I said I would come back if reading about it went well. Of course that didnā€™t go well either.

Thanks @helsonwheels for your recipe! I think we will try that šŸ˜…

Flea meds especially the collar is basically pesticide. If you do your research n from reading your posts, Iā€™m sure you do, wise to stay away from them. Some people believe in them but I sure wouldnā€™t wrap my dog with pesticides. As most knows me in here, Iā€™m more on the holistic side first. Food is fuel as we say. Healthy diet builds a strong immune system n same for humans.

That recipe works. You can also use it on yourself if youā€™re stuck for mosquitoes.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I havnt' been around a bit... ya know, life..... but, i will attest to ms helsonwheels recp :) used for years on dogs and me :) And on my sweet (adult) step daughter who was *previously* bitten up BADLY by bugs.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet

I have donā€™t use any flea/tick products(other than the terrible experience with NexGuard that I didnā€™t know was bad-this was 2.5 years ago and had terrible side effects and other health issues it caused), I donā€™t use any of those chemicals anymore(I didnā€™t know the dangers and that they are actually chemicals-until Heath issues came up from using it).

I havenā€™t used anything because I havenā€™t had to.
But I do know lots of people in my area use a natural flea/tick prevention.
Itā€™s called:
Kin Kind Outdoor shield(comes in spray or shampoo-itā€™s a green bottles).

If I need to use something I would use the product I put above(Kin Kind brand outdoor shield).
That would be my recommendationšŸ˜Š