SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Hello! First of all Iā€™m still figuring this website out so hopefully this posts correctly lol, but Iā€™m a first time English bulldog owner, heā€™s an absolute terror. I love him but he definitely gives me a run for my money. I just have a few questions regarding his care, we are feeding him Hills science diet for puppies which is what his breeder had him on and I just wanted to clarify that that is good for him. He eats 1/2 a cup 3 times a day 6:00 am 12:00 pm and 6:00 pm. Iā€™m home with him every day as I am a full time college student and due to Covid I am taking online classes so yay for him šŸ˜‚ . A couple questions first can english bulldogs breathe on their backs? Bear flips himself over often when we play and makes wheezing noises so I flip him back just for him to do it again lol. Also how do I get him to stop biting, heā€™s 8 weeks old and I completely understand teething but he doesnā€™t mindlessly chew he like pounces on my feet hands and even got my lip one time and drew blood, Iā€™m not sure if that is normal. How the heck do I get him to stop? I refuse to hit him and ignoring him makes him more persistent, he plays with toys when I redirect him but then gets bored two seconds later and attacks me again. This was such a word vomit Iā€™m so sorry but thank you for any help!!!

Attachments

• B30C2BDB-F32C-4ACA-9F64-98B30398BFF5.jpeg
    B30C2BDB-F32C-4ACA-9F64-98B30398BFF5.jpeg
    957.7 KB · Views: 189

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Castor says hi to adorable little brindle baby Bear! Castor looked pretty much like that when a pup! I leave to others to comment on the food, but want to say it's great that you are home with him. My suggestion regarding biting is to try to divert him and to provide him with toys suitable for his age that he can chew on. Playing actively with him will hopefully tire him out so that he sleeps a bit. Stick to routines regarding food, play, potty (take him out every or every two hours) and sleep.

If you are unsure about his breathng, you might want to have a vet look at him. Is the wheezing connected with his breathing - does he pant?

OP
SidNBear

SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Castor says hi to adorable little brindle baby Bear! Castor looked pretty much like that when a pup! I leave to others to comment on the food, but want to say it's great that you are home with him. My suggestion regarding biting is to try to divert him and to provide him with toys suitable for his age that he can chew on. Playing actively with him will hopefully tire him out so that he sleeps a bit. Stick to routines regarding food, play, potty (take him out every or every two hours) and sleep.

If you are unsure about his breathng, you might want to have a vet look at him. Is the wheezing connected with his breathing - does he pant?

Thank you! We took him to the vet and she said he looks and sounds fine, if anything his nostrils seem to be narrow so they want to monitor that as he gets older, in the chance they get too narrow we would have to look into nostril corrective surgery. He breathes normally in regular situations and he does like to sleep on his back, Iā€™m just worried for excitement reasons he canā€™t breathe. His next appointment for shots is the 26th so weā€™ll ask then. On the topic of me being home with him, should I be with him 24/7? Iā€™m worried about him developing anxiety if he were too dependent on us being there! Thank you for your help!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Thank you! We took him to the vet and she said he looks and sounds fine, if anything his nostrils seem to be narrow so they want to monitor that as he gets older, in the chance they get too narrow we would have to look into nostril corrective surgery. He breathes normally in regular situations and he does like to sleep on his back, Iā€™m just worried for excitement reasons he canā€™t breathe. His next appointment for shots is the 26th so weā€™ll ask then. On the topic of me being home with him, should I be with him 24/7? Iā€™m worried about him developing anxiety if he were too dependent on us being there! Thank you for your help!!

He is just 8 weeks old, so I would keep him in the same room. When he gets a little older he will have to learn to be on his own but I wouldn't worry about that now, and I don't think anxiety arises from having spent too much time together!

OP
SidNBear

SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
He is just 8 weeks old, so I would keep him in the same room. When he gets a little older he will have to learn to be on his own but I wouldn't worry about that now, and I don't think anxiety arises from having spent too much time together!

Amazing, thank you for your help!!

kyredneck

Mar 20, 2021
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Levi
Keep plenty of Band-Aids and peroxide handy cause your gonna need them,,lol
No matter what I did I could not get Levi to stop his nipping from 8 weeks to 8 months, my friends said my hands / wrist look like I was a junkie they were so chewed up and ā€œscabbyā€,, the worst is when he discovers toes and feet so be prepared. I do not miss Leviā€™s puppyhood at all not gonna lie it was difficult at times but,, itā€™s all worth it in the end so just hang in there.

OP
SidNBear

SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Keep plenty of Band-Aids and peroxide handy cause your gonna need them,,lol
No matter what I did I could not get Levi to stop his nipping from 8 weeks to 8 months, my friends said my hands / wrist look like I was a junkie they were so chewed up and ā€œscabbyā€,, the worst is when he discovers toes and feet so be prepared but,, itā€™s all worth it in the end so just hang in there.

Weā€™ve been having surprising luck with saying a firm ā€œBear, no biteā€ and he either backs off to attack something else or gives kisses instead which we praise him immensely for [emoji3059] but I got my bandaids on hand incase lol

kyredneck

Mar 20, 2021
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Levi
I tried that with Levi,, he would look at me like ā€œyeah whatever dudeā€
What worked best for me was a loud ā€œOUCHā€ than playtime was over for a bit, I pretty much carried a chew toy in my pocket all over the house as soon as I got home till I went to bed

OP
SidNBear

SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
I tried that with Levi,, he would look at me like ā€œyeah whatever dudeā€
What worked best for me was a loud ā€œOUCHā€ than playtime was over for a bit, I pretty much carried a chew toy in my pocket all over the house as soon as I got home till I went to bed

Iā€™ve never had a dog glare at me the way he has honestly itā€™s kind of unnerving in a way but heā€™s a lot smarter than some of the websites said when researching the breed

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!!

The shark faze can be extremely annoying... make sure to have plenty of Nylabones, antlers, and other safe chew toys around (NO RAWHIDES). I had a baby gated area for mine, so when you tell them FIRMLY NO to stop the biting, and they of course continue, a short time-out normally does the trick. They realize that to hang-out w/their humans they have to keep their teeth to themselves.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello n WELCOME to EBN. Firstly, get him off Science Hill. It all grain n not fit for any dog. Plz avoid ā€œanythingā€ from Science Hill, Purina, Royal Canin. A lot of vets will push for SH n RC as they get a kickback on each bags they sell. SH had numerous recalls n a lot of dogs died cause of them overdosing from the amount of Vit D inside. Puppy stage is the most important time to eliminate future health issues. Best diet is raw BUT if you canā€™t or do raw get him on higher quality kibbles like Acana, Fromm, Zignature as they are high in protein. Theyā€™re dogs n they need meat not grains. Theyā€™re not farm animals. I personally would start him on Orijen for Puppies. Higher in calories n nutrients compared to any puppy kibble out there. Orijen is the same company as Acana. Once he hits 6months, get him off Orijen n onto Acana single protein bags and after each bags rotate the protein. This is to eliminate allergies towards any food. Rotation is ā€œthe key.ā€ You wonā€™t need to do a transition as mentioned itā€™s the same company. Raw is loaded with probiotics/prebiotics so I suggest to you to add a mixture of topper of organs/muscles with ONE meal per day. You can buy at your grocery store example fresh liver, kidney or gizzards, beef heart etc. I use to cut them up in little cubes n freeze them in portion size. In your case 1/4cup. If youā€™re making fresh chicken wings, cut the tip part n keep them, or buying a whole chicken buy them with their insides so youā€™ll get the neck, liver, heart, cut in pieces n freeze them. To avoid bitting I always have marrow bones. You feed it from raw so donā€™t cook them. Time being for his size itā€™s about 3ā€. Marrow is loaded of probiotics n high in vitamins.

Regarding his shots, ask your vet if itā€™s a 3yr shot or 1yr. Also Iā€™ve seen n read so many issues cause of vets giving all shots together. Spread them out. No rush. Get one shot wait a couple months or so n then the next one. For sleeping on his back, donā€™t worry. Extremely rare a puppy has breathing or soft palate issues. Iā€™m more on the holistic side so Iā€™m not for any chemicals. I use essential oils for a lot of my dogs maintenance. That being said, plz ask for what oils to use as not all of them are for pets. Thereā€™s a couple threads I made on holistic n essential oils. Simply read or tag me if youā€™re not sure. Very informative.

But do try to read as much as you can in this forum. Use the top right search button. Loaded of great info.

8AD73B12-932B-4401-A359-EF774DDDD669.jpeg
5ED9AD32-6E3F-4F37-98E4-944B5A429461.jpeg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN! The gang has you covered to help with shark phase and food options.

as for nares if they are tight, a suggestion, my boy had his nares widened at 16 weeks which was needed and helped to lessen the stress on his palate. So, once he is all better, ask your vet his thoughts.

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.