Fighting

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I am sorry you are going through this. It is a horrible thing to have to deal with. I know it isn't always the case but sometimes two females will just never get on and female on female fights can be deadly. They don't give up. It happened to us and after taking them to boot-camp, behaviorists, trainers and still more horrendous fights with trips to the emergency room etc. we had to re-home one of them. It broke out hearts but for their well-being (and ours) it was the only thing to do. I really feel for you and wish you lots of luck.

OP
HrsDiva

HrsDiva

I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve
Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
I am sorry you are going through this. It is a horrible thing to have to deal with. I know it isn't always the case but sometimes two females will just never get on and female on female fights can be deadly. They don't give up. It happened to us and after taking them to boot-camp, behaviorists, trainers and still more horrendous fights with trips to the emergency room etc. we had to re-home one of them. It broke out hearts but for their well-being (and ours) it was the only thing to do. I really feel for you and wish you lots of luck.

Where there problems with meets other females later in.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I was afraid it was female to female.... They are the worst regardless of breed. You either have to keep the apart 90% of the time or re-home. This may not be fixable--- as1Chumley stated--- i think [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] had to re-home one of his girls for this. And, we knew Banks HATED other females-- one of the reasons daycare ended for her.

Let us know if we can help

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Just so very sad hearing all this, for them & your family.

Nothing worse than the tension building up and fear of
another fight. I've been there, sometimes dogs will refuse
to get along and nothing to do but rehome that has no other
dogs. If this is what it takes then please, no guilting or shaming
yourself. All must be safe in your home, period.

Sending prayers, hugs & support, please update us.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Where there problems with meets other females later in.

Our dogs were a rescued Greyhound and an American Bulldog. We already had the Greyhound and was given an 8 week old AB so the AB grew up with the Greyhound. All was well until the AB turned two then the fights started out of no-where. As I said previously, we tried everything we could think of. The AB wanted to be alpha bitch and the Greyhound was not going to give it up. We feared for the Greyhounds life as she was no match for an AB but when the fights started, she was the one that kept going back for more! They really were bad, furniture turned over etc., blood everywhere and very difficult to break up. After much soul searching we re-homed the Greyhound as we DID NOT want the AB to end up in a dog fighting situation. We kept in touch with the Greyhounds new owners and she lived to the ripe old age of 16. We are still in contact in fact. The American Bulldog never did like females after that but she was fine around males. They were both beautiful dogs and it was heartbreaking to have to give one up, we felt like traitors of the worst kind but it was the only thing to do.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
That's why I would go through rescue if you can't keep her. Just tell them up front that she is female aggressive and they screen very well before placing.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I'm so sorry Heather, it is a heartbreak but two females who fight can get along again with proper training and a lot of work- and others cannot no matter what you do they hold a grudge. It's sad to have to Rehome but in my case we found a single guy with no kids who was a perfect match, and we get to still have visits with her and we know it was the right thing to do now. Although when we did it I felt like I was letting her down or abandoning her. Now I smile knowing she's in the right home. Best of luck on whatever you decide to do. :hug:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mybrindlegirl

May 30, 2015
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Püppy
That's very sad and I'm sorry you have to deal with such a difficult situation. Who started the fights/the tense
situations?
If you don't have the possibility and/or the space of separating both dogs permanently and safe, it really could be better to search for a new home, even it is such a heartbreaking decision. Being attacked can change a dog's personality and can destroy a dog's social behaviour. This should be prevented in any case. This situation is so stressful for all of you, humans and dogs. Nobody could know that there would be such a development. You tried your best. Sometimes it just doesn't 'fit'.
Sending hugs :assurred:

bella100

Community Veteran
Sep 7, 2011
Mississippi
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dooley, and Bentley
we've tried to adopt two females for bella and neither worked they both were very aggressive towards her and she would bow down and act so scared. we couldnt have that since shes the boss. so we got sweet ole dooley him and her get along great.

OP
HrsDiva

HrsDiva

I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve
Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
I'm so sorry Heather, it is a heartbreak but two females who fight can get along again with proper training and a lot of work- and others cannot no matter what you do they hold a grudge. It's sad to have to Rehome but in my case we found a single guy with no kids who was a perfect match, and we get to still have visits with her and we know it was the right thing to do now. Although when we did it I felt like I was letting her down or abandoning her. Now I smile knowing she's in the right home. Best of luck on whatever you decide to do. :hug:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it were just me in the house then I would in a heart beat, the other people always screw things up that's how we got to this point I'm sure

241fc7dcc6dfab08401f73abc548e2f7.jpg

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sorry you are going though this. As others have said, bitch fights are the worse and they can carry a grudge. We did have to re-home a beautiful champion, because she just hated other dogs and no matter what we did, it didn't change a thing with her. We figured it wasn't far to her to keep her away from everyone and she didn't get the loving she deserved, so we found her a loving home in Florida. Broke our heart, but it was the right thing to do for her.

Doc Barry or Barry Bob.

May 9, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elsa is 2 1/2. Note: Bruiser left us at almost 14; Boss at almost 13 and Biggie at 10 1/2
A well respected trainer said to use a Shake Can when u see a fight about to start. You need to hit the aggressor wit the can and say OUT. Remember, u r using this technique bec your dogs are already causing blood and skin scrapes so tossing a can is better than the injuries through fighting. You then follow up this with sessions with your trainer.

Has anyone tried this? If yes, what happened

This is only used because the fighting is serious

Last edited:

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
We tried everything, see my post above. Trust me, a can is not going to work when they are trying to kill each other. They hear nothing, see nothing and feel nothing. They are totally concentrated on the fight. And the fights started in a split second, no warning, so no time to try and distract. I think a Shake Can could be a good tool for training but I have my doubts about trying to distract to stop a fight, or at least in my dogs case.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
We tried everything, see my post above. Trust me, a can is not going to work when they are trying to kill each other. They hear nothing, see nothing and feel nothing. They are totally concentrated on the fight. And the fights started in a split second, no warning, so no time to try and distract. I think a Shake Can could be a good tool for training but I have my doubts about trying to distract to stop a fight, or at least in my dogs case.

It wouldn't work with shaking a can with my bulldogs either... the only thing that works for me so far to stop a fight is to pour water on them, they stop immediately. It gets a bit messy but it's safe for me and the dogs so that's what I do. Prevention is the key in our house:)

Doc Barry or Barry Bob.

May 9, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elsa is 2 1/2. Note: Bruiser left us at almost 14; Boss at almost 13 and Biggie at 10 1/2
I do not let my 2 Male English Bulldogs fight - the trainer has them separated by gates and I am to Throw an empty soda can w 25 pennies and hit the aggressor when he takes an aggressor position to startle him and to say OuT - at some point won't have to hit w can just say Out

U r rt that shake can for just noise doesn't work this is different u hit to distract via startle

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online