Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
Tucker started acting very lethargic last Friday morning before I left for work, and even more so when I got home. I rushed him to the vet where they did lab work and an X-ray of his abdomen. Blood work didn't show anything, and the X-ray only showed kibble in his tummy from breakfast, from about 10 hours earlier. Vet said not to feed him dinner and to feed bland diet the next day. He ended up throwing up Friday's breakfast on Saturday afternoon. The next morning, he did poop, but then laid down in the grass and didn't want to get up to go back inside.

On Sunday, I took him to emergency vet because he was no better and was not hungry and would not drink water. Basically after being there more than 6 hours, they sent us on our way and said he would need an ultrasound the next day. The only thing they really checked for was a fever, which was 103.8.

First thing Monday, I took him to a 3rd vet (usual vet had ultrasound person on vacation), and ultrasound showed nothing abnormal. He still had fever, so they started IVs and kept him 2 nights. I brought him home today, and he is still lethargic, running fever, but is keeping water and beef broth down. He is taking antibiotics for the fever. Basically they only treated his symptoms because they don't know what is causing them.

Has anyone ever had this issue with your Bully? I have 2 other dogs in the house, and they are perfectly fine. Sophie cannot figure out why Tucker won't play.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=14393]Mom of Tucker[/MENTION]. Probably Tucker is fighting an infection or inflammation which will cause fever. Just like humans. Did he recently had any shots or had anything new to his diet?
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION].

OP
Mom of Tucker

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
He has not had any changes to his diet. He also has not had any shots. I use woke up with him, and his fever is back. I feel so helpless. I don't know if I need to seek yet another opinion. Texas A&M University Veterinary Hospital is about an hour and a half from me. They would be my next option. Poor Tucker hates going to the vet. He snapped at one of the techs on Sunday, so they have had to use a muzzle on him. Not to mention, they have poked him with so many needles. My heart is aching for him.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'd be on my way to A&M... a fever is usually infection of some type.

Poor boy, he has got to be so uncomfortable which would be why he snapped

[emoji1317][emoji1317][emoji20]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
I'm with 2Bullymama, persistant fever, lethargy sounds scary.

I'm no vet, but if this were one of my patients in the hospital, I would be calling MD and reccomending blood cultures.

OP
Mom of Tucker

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm preparing to take him to A&M, just making a few phone calls first. Thank you for your support. Tucker is the love of my life, and I can't imagine not having him with me. ��������

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
I'm preparing to take him to A&M, just making a few phone calls first. Thank you for your support. Tucker is the love of my life, and I can't imagine not having him with me. ��������

please, keep us posted

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Did the Vet pull urine?
Checked for Lyme?
I hope T A&M can figure it out.

OP
Mom of Tucker

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
They did a UA on Tuesday, and it was negative. The prior vet mentioned Lyme, but didn't really make himself clear. Can he get Lyme if taking Nexgard and Heartgard?

We are at A&M now. I wish I had brought him here Sunday instead of ER in Austin that did nothing!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
They did a UA on Tuesday, and it was negative. The prior vet mentioned Lyme, but didn't really make himself clear. Can he get Lyme if taking Nexgard and Heartgard?

We are at A&M now. I wish I had brought him here Sunday instead of ER in Austin that did nothing!
Keep us posted!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

OP
Mom of Tucker

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Well, worse news than expected. It seems he has some sort of auto immune illness. They are currently doing another ultrasound and chest X-ray to determine if he has cancer. Something is attacking his red blood cells. The cause may not be determined though. I am praying it is only transient.

My mother and even the last vet were questioning me why I was seeking another opinion, as if I were overreacting. However, the vet said I caught it early because some dogs are brought in and need blood infusions immediately. I just knew my Tucker needed someone to help him feel better.

What makes this even worse is, I had been paying on pet insurance since I got him. However in January, I decided to start my wn pet savings account. I had never used the policy and didn't think I ever would.

Needless to say, I am heartbroken but will do everything I can to treat my boy.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Damn...
C'mon boy, get through this, Tucker!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Poor Tucker. If anyone can get to the bottom of it, it is A & M. They are brilliant. So glad you listened to your instincts and took him there as you know your boy better than anyone. Praying for a good outcome. Please keep in touch when you can and know we are all pulling for you.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well, worse news than expected. It seems he has some sort of auto immune illness. They are currently doing another ultrasound and chest X-ray to determine if he has cancer. Something is attacking his red blood cells. The cause may not be determined though. I am praying it is only transient.

My mother and even the last vet were questioning me why I was seeking another opinion, as if I were overreacting. However, the vet said I caught it early because some dogs are brought in and need blood infusions immediately. I just knew my Tucker needed someone to help him feel better.

What makes this even worse is, I had been paying on pet insurance since I got him. However in January, I decided to start my wn pet savings account. I had never used the policy and didn't think I ever would.

Needless to say, I am heartbroken but will do everything I can to treat my boy.

You got this!!! We're all praying for you Tucker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.