Feeding amount

SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
I just wanted to know how much everyone is feeding their pups, I feed bear 3/4 of a cup twice a day and it seems to be working well for him, he's lost the 5 or so extra pounds his vet wanted off and has been maintaining his shape. He has good muscle tones and a visible waist. I keep his kibble intake smaller to account for his treats and supplements! I'm just curious how much other pups are getting!! A few photos of bear last week after his bath for shape reference!!

Attachments

• 0D94918C-6FA4-4240-84C0-030A5ED5CCD7.jpeg
    0D94918C-6FA4-4240-84C0-030A5ED5CCD7.jpeg
    631 KB · Views: 78
  • 6AC45E04-0F9F-4308-9B91-25BB754C772E.jpeg
    6AC45E04-0F9F-4308-9B91-25BB754C772E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 79

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I feed raw but like you I keep the extras into account. With everything he’s been through as a pup he sure is one solid beautiful bully. Good job.

Yes 3/4 cups is perfect for yours. Usually it’s 2cups per day but it’s always better a bit less to keep them on the slimmer side. This is not a breed you want over weight or “normal size”. There is no normal for this breed as they come in different sizes. Simply a breed you need to figure out what works as weight for him/her.

OP
SidNBear

SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Thank you! It hasn't been easy but hell was it worth it! But yes I agree! I want to keep him as slim as possible! He's had so many trials the last thing he needs is obesity!!

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
He's beautiful!

Millie was and still is on the smaller side, I'm guessing she is going to weigh 40 at full grown. She's a little over 30 right now. I'm feeding 285g split into 3 each day (95g each feeding). About 1120 kcal per day.

Since there isn't a straight guide for kcal per day for Bulldogs that I could find, I got to this number sort of round about: I started with the RC recommendations for a "40lb-when-adult puppy" (only ones I could find) and cross referenced for the "44lb-when-adult puppy" Orijen guideline. Then adjusted up until the stool got too soft, then back down to firm. After that I've adjusted the amount of kcal up slightly every 5 lbs she's gained, and am about to start adjusting it downwards to land on her adult feed amount by early October - which I'm assuming will be close to 900 kcal/day or so

OP
SidNBear

SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
He's beautiful!

Millie was and still is on the smaller side, I'm guessing she is going to weigh 40 at full grown. She's a little over 30 right now. I'm feeding 285g split into 3 each day (95g each feeding). About 1120 kcal per day.

Since there isn't a straight guide for kcal per day for Bulldogs that I could find, I got to this number sort of round about: I started with the RC recommendations for a "40lb-when-adult puppy" (only ones I could find) and cross referenced for the "44lb-when-adult puppy" Orijen guideline. Then adjusted up until the stool got too soft, then back down to firm. After that I've adjusted the amount of kcal up slightly every 5 lbs she's gained, and am about to start adjusting it downwards to land on her adult feed amount by early October - which I'm assuming will be close to 900 kcal/day or so
I haven't thought about measuring it in kcals!! I'll look more into that! I try to find things to bulk up his food without the extra calories since he's such a eater, usually it's no salt canned green beans! He also loves mandarin pieces but those are limited with the sugar and acid and all that!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I haven't thought about measuring it in kcals!! I'll look more into that! I try to find things to bulk up his food without the extra calories since he's such a eater, usually it's no salt canned green beans! He also loves mandarin pieces but those are limited with the sugar and acid and all that!
Add a raw egg.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Ella is 2 and gets 3/4 cup twice a day. But in the mornings I add in a couple tablespoons of either a wet food or a freeze dried food.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He looks great! Stick with what you are doing.. keeping weight good helps with their joints

Members online

No members online now.