Fear?

Ivan Lugo

May 13, 2016
Country
U.S.A
Bulldog(s) Names
Jeter
So Jeter is 5 months and he fears people until they pet him... Fears gates especially red... I try to show him that people won't hurt him but he puts himself low to ground and backs away. No matter how they approach him.. Thoughts???

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I am afraid I can't help you but I am sure others will. Try posting in the Behaviour section.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Many bulldogs are fearful of new things to include appliances, furniture, etc... are you the only person who has owned him? Have you taken him to any puppy classes? That can help him get used to new people and other puppies. Also the trainer may have suggestions to help him overcome his fear of people. Have you tried having newcomer's give him a small treat and see if he warms up to them?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] has a point. Also ask family and friends to get down to puppy's level (floor) with a treat or just play with him on the floor. Bring other calm dogs to ghe house and all sit down together. Just like you would do with kids. And yes, were you the only owner?

OP
Ivan Lugo

Ivan Lugo

May 13, 2016
Country
U.S.A
Bulldog(s) Names
Jeter
Only owner, my baby since birth... Will try all suggestions thanks guys!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
he needs to be socialized, do you have him in a puppy training class? the classes are more about socialization than training at his age... being exposed to other dogs, people, sounds, things. Many bulldogs are fearful of inanimate objects so the gate does not surprise me... do not pet him or say 'it's ok'... they tells him the behavior is acceptable... ignore the coworing and continue to move forward and then praise after he is past it or accepted the person.

With people, it is not a bad thing that he wants a scent before being touched -- it is proper way to greet a dog, no eye contact and let them sniff first before touching. My girl was like this, and i would just ask people to let her smell you first and then she will accept you touching her

OP
Ivan Lugo

Ivan Lugo

May 13, 2016
Country
U.S.A
Bulldog(s) Names
Jeter
My neighborhood has lots of small dogs he loves them... But if they bark at him he gets very scared and hides between my legs...

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree with others, he needs socialization, just keep introducing him to people and have some of them give him treats. It should pass as he gets older and used to people coming up to him.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Some bullies can be very shy or have different personalities. But I still think your baby may need a boost in confidence! Maybe by socializing ALOT and working with him. Encourage him.... Izzy is scared too... first reaction is never curiosity like most dogs. Her first instinct is fear... for things that I want her to challenge herself I will be next to her... encouraging...helping her. That's how I taught her how to swim.... lots and lots of positive reinforcement.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Also don't pick him up or pet him if he comes hiding in between legs. Then you will encourage him to do that.

OP
Ivan Lugo

Ivan Lugo

May 13, 2016
Country
U.S.A
Bulldog(s) Names
Jeter
So I made it so Jeter had no choice but to pass the gate I sat on floor and watched as he barked at it and told him you want this treat come get it..(food is such a great motivator).. After 2.5 mins the fear was overcome by the need to eat his treat...
Next obstacle is people!!! Will keep everyone posted... Thank you guys!

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Great news!!! Yes, keep working with him and he will overcome his fears :) food always help ALOT!
So I made it so Jeter had no choice but to pass the gate I sat on floor and watched as he barked at it and told him you want this treat come get it..(food is such a great motivator).. After 2.5 mins the fear was overcome by the need to eat his treat...
Next obstacle is people!!! Will keep everyone posted... Thank you guys!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Everyone has given you great advicde already. Good for you with the gate training! Keep us posted on the people training. I do agree that socialization will fix that.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online