Fat instead of Carbs

Peppa-pooch

Apr 5, 2022
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Peppa
Hi all, so Peppa is now back on cooked food after having a bad experience with raw.
I used to give her sweet potatoes and green veggies with her beef but i've cut out the potatoes now and substituted in more fat (80/20 beef) with small amounts of fatty bits from lamb. What are your experiences? Do bulldogs benefit more from fat as energy source rather than carbs?
Also i think Peppa is getting allergic to beef now due to it being her main protein so i'm switching to chicken soon - will cooked chicken skin be okay for her -
i read that chicken skin should not be given to dogs due to high fat but she's had whole raw chicken wings in the past with no issues and also her beef fat hasn't caused any runny stools at all. Her stools have always been healthy.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi all, so Peppa is now back on cooked food after having a bad experience with raw.
I used to give her sweet potatoes and green veggies with her beef but i've cut out the potatoes now and substituted in more fat (80/20 beef) with small amounts of fatty bits from lamb. What are your experiences? Do bulldogs benefit more from fat as energy source rather than carbs?
Also i think Peppa is getting allergic to beef now due to it being her main protein so i'm switching to chicken soon - will cooked chicken skin be okay for her -
i read that chicken skin should not be given to dogs due to high fat but she's had whole raw chicken wings in the past with no issues and also her beef fat hasn't caused any runny stools at all. Her stools have always been healthy.
Do bulldogs benefit more from fat as energy source rather than carbsā€¦ā€¦ā€¦..Yes, just like in humans. Dogs should not be eating carbs, nor chicken fat as itā€™s not a good fat. Dg needs good fat like Extra virgin oil, coconut oil, hemp oilā€¦..add it to the meals.

Questions: How do you know sheā€™s allergic to beef? What are your signs? What was the issue with raw n what was in her raw? like was it mix with veggies or fruitsā€¦.

If youā€™re cooking the meat, doubt very much she has allergies to beef protein. The 2 attached pics below are examples of what you should be giving to your dog as a ratio so sheā€™s balanced. Difference you would be cooking it. Dont overcook a red meat. Leave a bit of pink in it. Chicken you would cook it fully but not dry either.

Attachments

• 525C8BBF-6548-417C-BCA7-575C06B78993.jpeg
    525C8BBF-6548-417C-BCA7-575C06B78993.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 52
  • 3CFD0F36-FA2E-42FF-9FD5-D7CA73749C84.jpeg
    3CFD0F36-FA2E-42FF-9FD5-D7CA73749C84.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 46

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet

Dogs have no requirements for carbs, a lot of the time the carbs cause more health issues and inflammation and should be avoided, especially for allergies.

How long has she been on beef?? Yes they can develop a allergy to what they eat everyday, and there should be variety of proteins used as much as possible.

I wouldnā€™t overdo the fat, especially the chicken fat(can cause lots of inflammation). Omega 3 sources are good also like fish are good things you can add.
Organ meat too like liver and kidney and heart and others are good nutrients, thatā€™s where all the vitamins and nutrients come from.

I personally wouldnā€™t use chicken for dogs with allergies cause thatā€™s the meat most dogs with allergies are allergic to.

Lamb, Goat, Kangaroo, Pork, Turkey(a good alternative to chicken for allergies).

Turkey I recommend and also fish would be great to try for variety even if she isnā€™t allergic to beef, still highly recommend variety.

This was what I was feeding my dog when he got picky with what I was cooking for him, before I started him on raw diet. Very low in carbs, no carbs used.

1666926097053.jpeg

OP
Peppa-pooch

Peppa-pooch

Apr 5, 2022
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Peppa
I believe she developed an allergy to beef because she's got interdigital cysts. Her feet are always kept cleaned - no yeast smell. She's been on beef diet since the beginning of this year and before that she had daily snacks of raw beef and chicken kibble was her main diet.
Since we got her we switched her to cooked beef diet because we know chicken can cause allergies in most dogs even though we did not see symptoms of food allergies back then.

She's also has omega 3 fish oil in every meal.
I'll keep her away from chicken skin from now on.

For the past couple of months, i've cut off carbs as much as i can. She only gets zucchini, broccoli, spinach, green beans in her meal. No more carrots and sweet potatoes. Although the green veg still contains carbs, it's as low as i can get it.

Last edited:

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I believe she developed an allergy to beef because she's got interdigital cysts. Her feet are always kept cleaned - no yeast smell. She's been on beef diet since the beginning of this year and before that she had daily snacks of raw beef and chicken kibble was her main diet.
Since we got her we switched her to cooked beef diet because we know chicken can cause allergies in most dogs even though we did not see symptoms of food allergies back then.

For the past couple of months, i've cut off carbs as much as i can. She only gets zucchini, broccoli, spinach, green beans in her meal. No more carrots and sweet potatoes. Although the green veg still contains carbs, it's as low as i can get it.

Thatā€™s great and would be better that you cut out the carbs, thatā€™s good. It helps starve the yeast too by no carbs.

Can you try a fish to use instead of beef?? That would mean you donā€™t have to add the fish oil and also no beef which she could be allergic to both, maybe try giving salmon instead of beef?? Just a suggestion

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

Just to let you know, digital cyst has nothing to do with what they eat. Sadly these cyst just comes n goes n some dogs are more prone to having them than others. So donā€™t worry about it being caused by food. My previous EB had them often. Some will soak in epsom salt n works fine. I pierced with a sterilized needle, squeeze out liquid n added Bag Balm. Worked great. Now regarding chicken, I think I mentioned that somewhere šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø you can give your dog raw chicken or cooked as it wonā€™t affect like a chicken kibble. Extremely rare it will cause allergies. Iā€™m not saying it wonā€™t but very rare. You need to try it on its own n monitor.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Just to let you know, digital cyst has nothing to do with what they eat. Sadly these cyst just comes n goes n some dogs are more prone to having them than others. So donā€™t worry about it being caused by food. My previous EB had them often. Some will soak in epsom salt n works fine. I pierced with a sterilized needle, squeeze out liquid n added Bag Balm. Worked great. Now regarding chicken, I think I mentioned that somewhere šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø you can give your dog raw chicken or cooked as it wonā€™t affect like a chicken kibble. Extremely rare it will cause allergies. Iā€™m not saying it wonā€™t but very rare. You need to try it on its own n monitor.

Good to know, my dogs dermatologist told us that when they lick their paws from allergies, it can cause these cysts in the paws cause the moisture, but I didnā€™t know they can form for no reason, and interesting you fixed it!

Itā€™s hard to keep the paws dry with the wet weather.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Good to know, my dogs dermatologist told us that when they lick their paws from allergies, it can cause these cysts in the paws cause the moisture, but I didnā€™t know they can form for no reason, and interesting you fixed it!

Itā€™s hard to keep the paws dry with the wet weather.
My previous dog had them all yr round but more in the summer than winter. He did walk daily even in winter n our sidewalks was salted down. Thatā€™s when I was living in the city. Mixture of salt, gravel n sand. I think the salt kept the cyst at bay. I had to clean their paws after their walks.

Members online

No members online now.