Farts farts and more farts !!!

Feb 24, 2022
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bitzy
I am a new English bulldog owner. Bitzy is 4 months old and has awful gas. Especially at night when she is sleeping. I know they are bad about flatulence but I feel she is seriously overboard. As I have typed these few sentences she has farted 7 times. That’s just the ones I heard. They’re little poots but OMG THEY SMELL HORRIBLE !! What can I do ???

Attachments

• D4B91018-8B94-43FB-8A5C-28CF8DC0457C.jpeg
    D4B91018-8B94-43FB-8A5C-28CF8DC0457C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 127
Last edited:

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
While bulldogs are known for gas, it’s most likely diet related. I have 2 bulldogs and 1 French Bulldog and they fart periodically. What are you currently feeding?

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
They do have gas, just like humans. Luckily Buster's don't smell. I too would say, it is the food. I had to change Buster's food from Salmon to Duck because of his awful fish breath, pleased to say it wasn't both ends!!!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
or, you might consider trying probiotics...or a food change.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My dogs have been eating grain-free food all of their lives. At night they get a snack just before bedtime of plain yogurt. If they do have any gas, I don't hear it, or smell it-and no I don't have poor hearing, and don't use @oscarmayer's clothespin trick!!;)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
yep… my guys fart here and there, it nothing crazy. We feed raw food and give raw goats milk as a probiotic.

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
I am a new English bulldog owner. Bitzy is 4 months old and has awful gas. Especially at night when she is sleeping. I know they are bad about flatulence but I feel she is seriously overboard. As I have typed these few sentences she has farted 7 times. That’s just the ones I heard. They’re little poots but OMG THEY SMELL HORRIBLE !! What can I do ???
What food are you feeding her?
My previous ebd never had gas until she was about 4. Prior to the gas problem she was on Holistic Select, and after switching to Merrick's she had horrible gas which then disappeared when I switched her to Fromm's 4 star.

dollysmama

Nov 13, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dolly
Aww - Hi, Bitzy! It’s ok.. everybody poots, sometimes (sang to the tune of “everybody hurts” by REM). Seriously though, I thought I would chime in and share that our Bully had wretched, room-clearing farts for MONTHS until she finally threw up a giant piece of a rope toy that she had swallowed without our knowing. We think it was in her stomach for about 4 months. Poor baby. No more rope in our house! After that was finally out of her belly, the super frequent toots stopped. She still does sometimes, of course, but they’re not life-threateningly stinky or super frequent anymore. If that happens to be the case with your dog, unfortunately there’s not much to do besides wait it out. You could go in for an X-Ray to check her belly but they aren’t really able to show softer things like rope or hair. As long as she doesn’t have vomiting & diarrhea, the concern for an obstruction is low. Our dog started throwing up before meals for a while, then she threw up a meal, then finally threw up the chunk of rope. There was an aftershock of a hairball that came a few weeks later and then it was finally over. Couple of trips to the ER and the family vet. Ultimately she was fine, but it was awful at the time. I agree with what most other posters have said - I would try switching her food. You might also try a slow feeder bowl. Good Luck!

Mmsaxman

Jun 30, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
Definitely diet related, also, if you switch food consider adding probiotic supplement to her diet.

Roccomama78

Oct 13, 2021
Pennsylvania
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
My Rocco is just over 1 and hes never really been too bad of a tooter so when he got the bubble guts it was like WHOA!!! It seemed to be his food and he had been on it since we got him (Nulo - Salmon Limited Ingredient)First we gave him some children's pepto and that helped some and then we decided to look into something similar but maybe gentler and we ended up with Solid Gold Sensitive Stomach Salmon & vegetables and some Probiotic Bites by zesty paws and he is back to himself and his occasional toots 1-3 per day not constant 8-20 per hour! Nothing like he was! It was bad and constant and I felt terrible! I just kept thinking how it must be giving him stomach pains. OHHHH and I also raised his food and water bowls even higher than they were already and I think that was the right move too. I hope your little gal is feeling better soon!!

Rocco sends hugs too!!

Attachments

• rocco.jpg
    rocco.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 89

MissAna

Aug 9, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pumpkin
Get a slow feed bowl and check the ingredients on the dog food. Feed it’s last meal earlier too. My bully babe farted a lot as a pup but grew out of it eventually.

MissAna

Aug 9, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pumpkin
And congrats on your new babe!!! Pls also invest in some coconut oil for it’s nose and paws.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.