Deanna1489

Sep 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
I need advice because I am frantic. Over a week ago I took my bully Otis to the vet because his eye was very swollen, he was squinting and pawing at it. The vet said it was border line entropion and sent me home with some drops to see if it helped. I will have to admit that putting the drops in Otis's eyes is like putting them in a sharks eyes. We do the best we can. During the week we woke up one night to him having a head tremor. This has only happened one other time and he is 4 years old. Like most bully parents I do not handle this well. By the end of the week his eye was like 95% better so he stayed with my MIL while my husband and I took an overnight trip this past Friday. When we returned the next day his eye was again swollen. My MIL suggested we give him Benadryl so I did. Within 30 minutes his eye looked much better. So I immediately started thinking "is this allergies"? Surely not because it was really giving him a fit and it is only one eye. We have never had allergy issues. I continued to give him Benadryl every 8 hours and things have been better EXCEPT he has had several head tremors today. I just can't handle seeing my baby do that. I am a mess! I really believe it is because he is stressed over the eye, but then is it the Benadryl? Whew...this is torture. Back to the vet tomorrow. Any experiences with any of this?? Thanks in advance.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Are these drops antibiotics? I had a cat that did the same. Yes not a EB but still an animal :) I used antibiotic drops but would clean it first with boric acid. It's mild antibiotic properties against fungal or bacterial infection and worked great even for humans. Had to do its a few times a yr. Was an allergy but from where no one knew.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have experience w/eye issues… does he have an ulcer in his eye from the lashes rubbing? Entropion is normally not cured by drops because the lashes continually rub the eye and cause painful ulcers usually resulting in surgery. I'm not sure why the eye drops or benadryl could cause tremors unless he is allergic to them, I'm going to tag members that deal w/tremors. Please let us know what the vet advices, I would be curious to see the connection here.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Is the eye very wet around or underneath? It could very well be allergies. I would suggest starting him on 1 zyrtec pill daily and see if that helps. Also, when do you notice the head tremors hapening? is it the same time every time? Head tremors are usually a benign thing although it is not fun to watch. Make sure you have treats or a favorite toy to direct him out of them. Maybe they will lessen if the zyrtec takes care of the allergies. Did you change any laundry detergent lately?

OP
Deanna1489

Deanna1489

Sep 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
We took Otis to the vet this afternoon and saw another vet in our group. He confirmed that he does have entropion in both eyes. We are scheduled for surgery next Wednesday. That sounds like forever and I am worried about him being put to sleep. He also said that the head tremors were probably caused by the Benadryl. I know that sounds crazy but they did go away, at 4:00 A.M. this morning i might add, when his eye began to swell again and the Benadryl was wearing off. He has not had any tremors today. No more Benadryl for Otis. Thanks everyone for letting me share. I was beside myself last night. Hopefully in a few days he will be much better. I will update again after the surgery.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
In my opinion, Benadryl wouldn't be the issue causing the tremors. But anything is possible. Orion had one eyelash that was growing inward and caused an ulcer on her eye. She couldn't keep her eye open...it was real watery. I took her to my vet and he told me that it was caused by a single eyelash. So with the help of a couple of techs, he plucked it. It grew back once and he plucked it again. That was 4 years ago. We haven't had an issue since. Saved us the cost of surgery and ALL the worry.

I give Benadryl twice daily like clockwork.

Head tremors are something that most of us deal with or have dealt with at one time or another. Food, toys, excitement... being too tired, these are just a few triggers. Pain could definitely be a trigger. Usually with an allergy to something, they swell up. So I'm confused about the benadry. But...anything is possible. Please keep us updated on how the surgery goes. (it might also be worth asking if they have an idea about how many offending eyelashes there are. If it's just one or two, plucking them might be the best alternative).

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
I need advice because I am frantic. Over a week ago I took my bully Otis to the vet because his eye was very swollen, he was squinting and pawing at it. The vet said it was border line entropion and sent me home with some drops to see if it helped. I will have to admit that putting the drops in Otis's eyes is like putting them in a sharks eyes. We do the best we can. During the week we woke up one night to him having a head tremor. This has only happened one other time and he is 4 years old. Like most bully parents I do not handle this well. By the end of the week his eye was like 95% better so he stayed with my MIL while my husband and I took an overnight trip this past Friday. When we returned the next day his eye was again swollen. My MIL suggested we give him Benadryl so I did. Within 30 minutes his eye looked much better. So I immediately started thinking "is this allergies"? Surely not because it was really giving him a fit and it is only one eye. We have never had allergy issues. I continued to give him Benadryl every 8 hours and things have been better EXCEPT he has had several head tremors today. I just can't handle seeing my baby do that. I am a mess! I really believe it is because he is stressed over the eye, but then is it the Benadryl? Whew...this is torture. Back to the vet tomorrow. Any experiences with any of this?? Thanks in advance.
Take it from me eye issues can be on going.I would have the vet tell you the severity of the entropion.Our boy has had 4 surgeries and other procedures for this and cherry eye and he's going to be 3.It could be allergies but if it's on going I'd look deeper.I hope you get some answers soon.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We took Otis to the vet this afternoon and saw another vet in our group. He confirmed that he does have entropion in both eyes. We are scheduled for surgery next Wednesday. That sounds like forever and I am worried about him being put to sleep. He also said that the head tremors were probably caused by the Benadryl. I know that sounds crazy but they did go away, at 4:00 A.M. this morning i might add, when his eye began to swell again and the Benadryl was wearing off. He has not had any tremors today. No more Benadryl for Otis. Thanks everyone for letting me share. I was beside myself last night. Hopefully in a few days he will be much better. I will update again after the surgery.

I agree with Cheryl... I doubt it is the benedyl, it could be but in all my years dealing with these, I have noticed it more around the things she listed... allergies, over excitement or stress. Nitschke suffered from them the most and he had a slew of allergies and banks would experience them when she knew she was going in the car or just after getting out of the car. When we went to a neurologist for Nitshcke, he told us they are harmless and the medical community has no idea of the cause and for us to keep a log to find a trigger, but they do know they are not painful -- just scary to watch.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

Many bulldogs do end up with eye issues. When it happens, it needs to be dealt with. Be sure that your Vet understands BULLDOGS. Some Vets use laser rather than knife to cut. Laser causes less bleeding, less scaring, faster recovery and less future issues. None of my 13 bulldogs so far have had any issues but I know others that have had the laser surgery.

As for the Benydryl, like others, I highly doubt the head shake is a cause of the shake. Not as a direct cause. Unless it is a true seizure, the normal head shake is called "Eidetic Head Tremor ". Some research suggest low blood sugar or calcium. Many simple treatments are yogurt, peanut butter, honey and my favorite is 2 "Otter Pops". I have one dog that has had EHT for nearly 9 years. We notice it more when he does not drink enough water. When he gets a shake, we give 2 Otter pops and by the time the second one is done, he has stopped. The cold, the crunchy and sugar seems to snap him out immediately. We break off a piece and slide into his mouth and he loves it.

The way to tell if the shake is a EHT or seizure is to see if your dog will respond to calling his name, can still walk. A real brain seizure prevents responding to sounds and walking.

Be confident,

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen

Good luck to you and Otis! I just scheduled our Barkley to have entropion surgery for his one eye in a few weeks. I hate him having to have surgery too, especially since he has already had 2 surgeries before :( but I know it will be best for him! I think he is going to be more upset about not getting to have breakfast that morning, esp since we aren't taking him in until 11:30!! haha

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.