Excessive Shedding

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
It's evening here so this morning she had her usual 1 Apoquel. And now with her dinner, i gave her 1 quercetin (250mg per capsule). But i should have given her 2 quercetin because she can take both at the same time.
We'll see how she is and maybe increase quercetin tomorrow evening.

I would give her the full dose of Quercetin(500mg), which you can give her 1 capsule In morning and the other at night, or 2 at once.

The issue is that they start to ‘rely’ on the apoquel unfortunately, so giving her the full amount of Quercetin(2 of the capsules daily), should definitely reduce the itching enough to get her off the apoquel.

Keep me updated!

OP
Peppa-pooch

Peppa-pooch

Apr 5, 2022
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Peppa
Good news. So a couple of days now she's been on 2 x Quercetin (one in the morning and one in the evening) and 1 x Apoquel in the morning. She's also on 1 teaspoon of Mushroom mix.
I have to say she seems alot better than the last time we tried to reduce her Apoquel to 1 a day. I'm hoping she'll be even better off when the Bovine Colostrum arrives and we should be able to take her off Apoquel for good.

I've not noticed the effect of the mushroom mix though. Is the wart suppose to just disappear over time?

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Good news. So a couple of days now she's been on 2 x Quercetin (one in the morning and one in the evening) and 1 x Apoquel in the morning. She's also on 1 teaspoon of Mushroom mix.
I have to say she seems alot better than the last time we tried to reduce her Apoquel to 1 a day. I'm hoping she'll be even better off when the Bovine Colostrum arrives and we should be able to take her off Apoquel for good.

I've not noticed the effect of the mushroom mix though. Is the wart suppose to just disappear over time?

That’s awesome she a lot better.
Hopefully the bovine Colostrum will arrive soon, and she can come off apoquel for good!

The mushroom mix won’t get rid of the wart overnight, the immune boost is probably helping her too, instead of the apoquel supressing the immune system.

For my dog, his warts were shrinking after 3 weeks of being on the immunity Mushrooms, some dogs might take longer, some dogs might be quicker.

Her immune system should be very strong with the colostrum when it arrives, and when she is off apoquel, then the immunity mushrooms as well would be great!

Hopefully she continues to improve and not need the apoquel.

Keep me updated!

OP
Peppa-pooch

Peppa-pooch

Apr 5, 2022
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Peppa
Thanks again for all your help. I would have never discovered Quercetin and the others you recommended by myself.
It's a shame that many others don't know either and just go with what the vets recommend - which in most cases is apoquel. I've already mentioned about Quercetin to a couple of dog walkers in the park near us and will spread the word even more once i've seen the full benefits of it with Peppa.
Will probably make a video on Peppa's Youtube channel too to spread awareness of the dangers of Apoquel and the much safer natural alternatives that are available.
We will probably reduce the apoquel to only half a tablet in the morning soon once the Bovine arrives.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
@Bulldog2001 Jumping on this thread. I found this on Amazon and would like your opinion for my 65lb boy. I am weaning him off Apoquel. Would this be too much for him? Thanks.
1658941955349.png

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
@Bulldog2001 Jumping on this thread. I found this on Amazon and would like your opinion for my 65lb boy. I am weaning him off Apoquel. Would this be too much for him? Thanks.
View attachment 123090

No that would be good, and hopefully you can get her off apoquel ASAP due to the immune suppressant it does causing more issues.

This is the natural version of apoquel for anti itch, that does look like a good product

I would start with 2 until you get her off apoquel(slowly of course), then if she only needs 1 per day of these, that’s what you give her.

Hopefully you can get her off apoquel soon.

What do you feed her??

Is it just environmental allergies or is it all year round?

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
No that would be good, and hopefully you can get her off apoquel ASAP due to the immune suppressant it does causing more issues.

This is the natural version of apoquel for anti itch, that does look like a good product

I would start with 2 until you get her off apoquel(slowly of course), then if she only needs 1 per day of these, that’s what you give her.

Hopefully you can get her off apoquel soon.

What do you feed her??

Is it just environmental allergies or is it all year round?
Thank you.

I feed him Zignature Duck but I am about to change him to Turkey. His allergies seem to be year-round, mostly showing up as feet licking and in the beginning, scratching. He hasn't done the scratching for quite a while though. It could also be a habit with the feet as he has done it for the 2.5 years we have had him. His previous owners mentioned it too. He is now 8. I just want him off the Apoquel. As a side note, we have artificial turf and he doesn't come into physical contact with any grasses but we do live in TX which is notorious for allergies, especially with the pollen. At the moment the weed pollen count is high!

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Thank you.

I feed him Zignature Duck but I am about to change him to Turkey. His allergies seem to be year-round, mostly showing up as feet licking and in the beginning, scratching. He hasn't done the scratching for quite a while though. It could also be a habit with the feet as he has done it for the 2.5 years we have had him. His previous owners mentioned it too. He is now 8. I just want him off the Apoquel. As a side note, we have artificial turf and he doesn't come into physical contact with any grasses but we do live in TX which is notorious for allergies, especially with the pollen. At the moment the weed pollen count is high!
Your welcome!

Dogs that eat the same thing every day for months to years can develop allergies to what they eat every day. That’s why I always recommend rotating proteins.

Have you tried a raw diet??

That’s good, artificial turf is good, I also have it too cause all my dogs are allergic to grass. It definitely helps.

Pollen allergies are difficult to deal with. My dog gets Bovine Colostrum for his environmental allergies, it’s a immune boost and that’s the best way to improve allergies, immune boost , not immune suppressants like apoquel.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Your welcome!

Dogs that eat the same thing every day for months to years can develop allergies to what they eat every day. That’s why I always recommend rotating proteins.

Have you tried a raw diet??

That’s good, artificial turf is good, I also have it too cause all my dogs are allergic to grass. It definitely helps.

Pollen allergies are difficult to deal with. My dog gets Bovine Colostrum for his environmental allergies, it’s a immune boost and that’s the best way to improve allergies, immune boost , not immune suppressants like apoquel.
I keep looking into raw diets and would like to do it but for me, it is cost-prohibitive. I have checked and checked the various local markets and all the butchers seem to be 'boutique' type and really expensive. Also, I don't have a freezer big enough to handle buying in bulk. This is when I get really homesick for butchers in the UK!
I will check into the bovine colostrum too.
I have just received the Green-lipped Mussel powder. He has been on the chews but I haven't noticed any improvement in his stiffness so will try this instead. I want to get him off Rimadyl if possible!
Thanks for the help!

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I keep looking into raw diets and would like to do it but for me, it is cost-prohibitive. I have checked and checked the various local markets and all the butchers seem to be 'boutique' type and really expensive. Also, I don't have a freezer big enough to handle buying in bulk. This is when I get really homesick for butchers in the UK!
I will check into the bovine colostrum too.
I have just received the Green-lipped Mussel powder. He has been on the chews but I haven't noticed any improvement in his stiffness so will try this instead. I want to get him off Rimadyl if possible!
Thanks for the help!
Some people do 1/2 raw and 1/2 kibble, for example I know people who do raw for breakfast, and dinner is kibble so they get some raw, especially if the budget is tight.

Why is he on Rimadyl??

Definitely look into the Bovine Colostrum, its very helpful for environmental allergies.

Definitely try green lipped mussel powder,
It’s really good.

Hopefully he doesn’t need apoquel or Rimadyl.

OP
Peppa-pooch

Peppa-pooch

Apr 5, 2022
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Peppa
So the Bovine still hasn’t arrived for me.
I also noticed her wrinkle turning more red since reducing Apoquel.
The quercetin has definitely helped but I’m not sure if it’s enough to keep her allergies away at the same levels of Apoquel.
Or am I jumping the gun? Do I need to wait for Bovine and get her on the combination with quercetin first for a few weeks?

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
So the Bovine still hasn’t arrived for me.
I also noticed her wrinkle turning more red since reducing Apoquel.
The quercetin has definitely helped but I’m not sure if it’s enough to keep her allergies away at the same levels of Apoquel.
Or am I jumping the gun? Do I need to wait for Bovine and get her on the combination with quercetin first for a few weeks?

Don’t give up!!

do you wash her wrinkles daily??
I would wiper her face and dry the wrinkles too:.

And yes I would wait for the bovine Colostrum.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Some people do 1/2 raw and 1/2 kibble, for example I know people who do raw for breakfast, and dinner is kibble so they get some raw, especially if the budget is tight.

Why is he on Rimadyl??

Definitely look into the Bovine Colostrum, its very helpful for environmental allergies.

Definitely try green lipped mussel powder,
It’s really good.

Hopefully he doesn’t need apoquel or Rimadyl.
He has pretty severe arthritis. We ran out of Rimadyl when it was on back order at several pharmacies and we noticed a huge difference in just a couple of days. He had trouble getting up with us having to help him plus he was really hobbling when he was up, poor boy. He was obviously in pain but I just don't like the thought of Rimadyl and all the side effects.

Members online

No members online now.