Excessive Drooling- Help!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
UGH -- stairs are the worst. We also block off and carry Cheli up/down... no stairs for him for about 5 years now. he'll get by every now and then, but it is rare

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
UGH -- stairs are the worst. We also block off and carry Cheli up/down... no stairs for him for about 5 years now. he'll get by every now and then, but it is rare

Definitely. I always carry him up and down and lift him off and on choice so he doesnā€™t jump at all.

He NEVER followed the other dogs down stairs, but I think he wants to stay with the other dog and she is looking for the one who is not with us anymore, they are confused and he is following the other dog when we are not home.

So frustrating, he never did stairs cause I trained him as a pup, even if things are not blocking stairs he knows itā€™s a NO for him to do stairs, now he decides to follow the other dog when we arenā€™t home, that really scares me for his spine.

Not sure what I can put there to block it without the other dog to move it. Very frustrating as 2 things right now are blocking it, and she pushes it over and she goes downstairs and Rusty is starting to followā˜¹ļø

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sorry for the loss of your other pup... it is never easy :(

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Sorry for the loss of your other pup... it is never easy :(
Thank you, she had bladder cancer and couldnā€™t pee at all, but the other 2 dogs are so confused and sad, which is why they are going downstairs looking for her.

Any ideas of something I can put by the stairs that she canā€™t push aside to get thru??

I donā€™t want this habit to continue to go downstairs with her. So bad for his spine especially when itā€™s trying to heal!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you, she had bladder cancer and couldnā€™t pee at all, but the other 2 dogs are so confused and sad, which is why they are going downstairs looking for her.

Any ideas of something I can put by the stairs that she canā€™t push aside to get thru??

I donā€™t want this habit to continue to go downstairs with her. So bad for his spine especially when itā€™s trying to heal!
What are you using now? I'm assuming a baby gate..... can you place a chair or piece of furniture there, that is easy for you to move, but hard form them ?

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
What are you using now? I'm assuming a baby gate..... can you place a chair or piece of furniture there, that is easy for you to move, but hard form them ?
Iā€™m using a big box against the wall and a travel plastic crate we had from when Rusty was a pup that we never use. I tried a chair too and she moved it.
Its always as closed off area as we can get it but she moves the plastic crate somehow and they both go downstairs, smart dogs!

I got rid of out last baby gate we had for the dogs years ago , but I think that may be something to buy next to try. Not sure if she can move it once itā€™s in place? Wouldnā€™t that be easier for her to move than the plastic crate?

Rusty doesnā€™t move it, itā€™s the other dog who moves it.

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
For anyone wondering how Rusty is doing:

The acid reflux is almost non existent and is managed thru a supplement.

A very good update today regarding Rustyā€™s sore spine, the laser therapy session was this morning, she examines him each time and today she said he is NOT sore at all like he initially was and his back legs arenā€™t ā€˜weakā€™ like they were and he only did the knuckling of his paw 1 time in the past week and that was today.

Iā€™m truly amazed at how quick the laser therapy helped him heal.

He will get laser treatment Friday and we are hoping he can play a little bit this coming weekend as itā€™s very hard to keep him calm(he tried racing around while she was here).

She does the laser therapy and the acupuncture too, it seemed to help improve him quicker than we thought, we will now work our way up to 1 time per month over the next while to make sure nothing goes sideways or worsens in the next few weeks to month before doing it only once a month like we did for maintenance before he had a sore spine.

Itā€™s just a matter of him not being stressed/confused from my other dog not being here so he doesnā€™t break out in hives Anymore from that(which he did break out in 16 new hives 2 days ago from being confused and stressed to where my other dog was) also And to make sure he doesnā€™t follow the 1 other dog downstairs when we arenā€™t home.

He will continue to get the joint supplements and omegas for anti inflammatory to help improve his spine and prevent further issues(and of course the premium fresh food really helps too). Maybe with the good food it didnā€™t effect him as bad.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Great news! Glad to hear the laser is woking

bulldogsy

May 31, 2023
Country
Denmark
Bulldog(s) Names
Serena & Burger
The acid reflux is almost non existent and is managed thru a supplement.
I'm glad Rusty is doing better :)

Can you please share the name of the supplement he is taking for the acid reflux ?

Our female English Bulldog (Serena - 8 years old) starting having similar episodes about 3 months ago, but without apparently any pain or other symptoms.

We changed her diet to wet food, and we saw a reduction of drooling episodes, but they appeared again.

Our vet told us to try Omeprazol, for acid reflux, and we didn't see any improvement with it.

Afterwards the vet told us to try Metoclopramide (to stimulate stomach and upper small intestinal movement to prevent esophageal reflux; can also be used to control nausea) , we used it for 15 days, while still on wet food, and she hardly had any drooling during the whole time.

We think she had nausea when she started drooling, and she didn't feel quite well while having these episodes.

We have since then discontinued the pills, and have started recently giving her home cooked meals (she has recurring ear infections and is itchy under the chin) - we think she started to be more sensible to foods or its giving her allergies.

The results so far are very good, not so much bloating as with kibble, drooling episodes are maybe now once every 2 weeks for a couple of minutes.

We were feeding her a high quality diet (Orijen Original) without grain and with supposed quality ingredients, but it seems dry food makes her bloat and have these drooling episodes, even after 7 years always eating best possible quality kibble.

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I'm glad Rusty is doing better :)

Can you please share the name of the supplement he is taking for the acid reflux ?

Our female English Bulldog (Serena - 8 years old) starting having similar episodes about 3 months ago, but without apparently any pain or other symptoms.

We changed her diet to wet food, and we saw a reduction of drooling episodes, but they appeared again.

Our vet told us to try Omeprazol, for acid reflux, and we didn't see any improvement with it.

Afterwards the vet told us to try Metoclopramide (to stimulate stomach and upper small intestinal movement to prevent esophageal reflux; can also be used to control nausea) , we used it for 15 days, while still on wet food, and she hardly had any drooling during the whole time.

We think she had nausea when she started drooling, and she didn't feel quite well while having these episodes.

We have since then discontinued the pills, and have started recently giving her home cooked meals (she has recurring ear infections and is itchy under the chin) - we think she started to be more sensible to foods or its giving her allergies.

The results so far are very good, not so much bloating as with kibble, drooling episodes are maybe now once every 2 weeks for a couple of minutes.

We were feeding her a high quality diet (Orijen Original) without grain and with supposed quality ingredients, but it seems dry food makes her bloat and have these drooling episodes, even after 7 years always eating best possible quality kibble.

Yes Rustyā€™s acid reflux is doing way better now. Except he had flared up again for IVDD 2 days ago, so now I have to not let him walk or play until he is way better.

My vet told me too to put him on the medication omaprezel, I said No cause the side effects are his symptoms including excessive drooling.

For the acid reflux- I said NO to any meds from vet as all the stuff will make the stomach NOT acidic, then they canā€™t digest food or absorb nutrients, the supplement I started him on is called Four Leaf Rover Gut Guard, itā€™s a soil based probiotic with everything in it thatā€™s good for acid reflux and any other digestion issues and leaky gut.
I gave it to him for 30 days, now I give ut to him 3-4 times a week unless he flares up. They said to double the recommended daily dosage for 2 weeks then go to only the recommended amount for the next 2 weeks then as needed or every other day. I still give Four Leaf Rover Protect probiotics daily as maintenance.

No drooling since we stared this.

I would definitely get her off Orijen as they got bought out by Mars which makes Iams, pedigree and all the low quality crap dog food, and thatā€™s what it will end up being if itā€™s not already. A few people I know dogs got really sick on the new formulas. Sucks they used to be a great food like Acana, now they are low quality and all for the $$$$, not dogs health.

If you want to stick to kibble, I recommend Natures Logic brand or Carna 4. They both have probiotics in it, and are whole food based and synthetic free, and is very low carb which is great. Also Natures Logic is potato and legume free, which is great. I consider it a next step up(even more premium)than Acana and Orijen.
natures logic is also has Probiotics in it too.

Have you considered switching foods?

Going raw is best though(if you can?) thatā€™s what I feed Rusty is Raw diet. The moisture also keeps them hydrated.

So no meds is best, raw diet(or natures logic if you need to stay with kibble), and Four Leaf Rover brand Gut Guard.

I give Rusty Bovine Colostrum for his severe environmental allergies and food allergies are managed thru raw diet. Rusty too used to get ear infections, skin infections, eye infections and many other health issues.

The bovine colostrum you give 30 minutes BEFORE breakfast as itā€™s better absorbed on empty stomach, so I put the powder by itself in the dish and he licks it up, then food is allowed 30 minutes after. Amazing for allergies.

I dont recommend giving her rice, potatoes, or chicken or legumes as those are inflammatory.

Rotating proteins is best too, so 1 day is fish, next day is beef, next day is goat, next day is kangaroo for Rusty for example.

What were you cooking for her?

Have you tried giving her 3 meals a day(Rusty gets breakfast @9:00, dinner @4:00, and snack before bed @10:00), that keeps him from vomiting foam thru the night and itā€™s also recommended for acid reflux.
A snack right before bed really helps too.

Keep me updated

Last edited:

Lstefanello

Feb 4, 2024
Country
Brasil
Bulldog(s) Names
chico
Yes Rustyā€™s acid reflux is doing way better now. Except he had flared up again for IVDD 2 days ago, so now I have to not let him walk or play until he is way better.

My vet told me too to put him on the medication omaprezel, I said No cause the side effects are his symptoms including excessive drooling.

For the acid reflux- I said NO to any meds from vet as all the stuff will make the stomach NOT acidic, then they canā€™t digest food or absorb nutrients, the supplement I started him on is called Four Leaf Rover Gut Guard, itā€™s a soil based probiotic with everything in it thatā€™s good for acid reflux and any other digestion issues and leaky gut.
I gave it to him for 30 days, now I give ut to him 3-4 times a week unless he flares up. They said to double the recommended daily dosage for 2 weeks then go to only the recommended amount for the next 2 weeks then as needed or every other day. I still give Four Leaf Rover Protect probiotics daily as maintenance.

No drooling since we stared this.

I would definitely get her off Orijen as they got bought out by Mars which makes Iams, pedigree and all the low quality crap dog food, and thatā€™s what it will end up being if itā€™s not already. A few people I know dogs got really sick on the new formulas. Sucks they used to be a great food like Acana, now they are low quality and all for the $$$$, not dogs health.

If you want to stick to kibble, I recommend Natures Logic brand or Carna 4. They both have probiotics in it, and are whole food based and synthetic free, and is very low carb which is great. Also Natures Logic is potato and legume free, which is great. I consider it a next step up(even more premium)than Acana and Orijen.
natures logic is also has Probiotics in it too.

Have you considered switching foods?

Going raw is best though(if you can?) thatā€™s what I feed Rusty is Raw diet. The moisture also keeps them hydrated.

So no meds is best, raw diet(or natures logic if you need to stay with kibble), and Four Leaf Rover brand Gut Guard.

I give Rusty Bovine Colostrum for his severe environmental allergies and food allergies are managed thru raw diet. Rusty too used to get ear infections, skin infections, eye infections and many other health issues.

The bovine colostrum you give 30 minutes BEFORE breakfast as itā€™s better absorbed on empty stomach, so I put the powder by itself in the dish and he licks it up, then food is allowed 30 minutes after. Amazing for allergies.

I dont recommend giving her rice, potatoes, or chicken or legumes as those are inflammatory.

Rotating proteins is best too, so 1 day is fish, next day is beef, next day is goat, next day is kangaroo for Rusty for example.

What were you cooking for her?

Have you tried giving her 3 meals a day(Rusty gets breakfast @9:00, dinner @4:00, and snack before bed @10:00), that keeps him from vomiting foam thru the night and itā€™s also recommended for acid reflux.
A snack right before bed really helps too.

Keep me updated
hello! I found here through search engines because I simply can't find enough information about it! I have a Frenchie and he drools a lot after walks! I've tried everything (he's had this for about 4/5 years now) and I don't know what it could be. He eats normally, and seems normally willing when he drools, just distressed by all the water, and so am I! Maybe he must feel uncomfortable. I've always tried to limit water consumption right after walks and that worked for a long time, but now it seems like it's no use, even with little water. Have you had success with this supplement? Has your Frenchie stopped drooling? (Sorry my english - I speak portuguese)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
hello! I found here through search engines because I simply can't find enough information about it! I have a Frenchie and he drools a lot after walks! I've tried everything (he's had this for about 4/5 years now) and I don't know what it could be. He eats normally, and seems normally willing when he drools, just distressed by all the water, and so am I! Maybe he must feel uncomfortable. I've always tried to limit water consumption right after walks and that worked for a long time, but now it seems like it's no use, even with little water. Have you had success with this supplement? Has your Frenchie stopped drooling? (Sorry my english - I speak portuguese)
Have you have his gums/teeth checked out, his soft palette, what food does he eat? After walking let him drink slowly n talking breaks cause after long walks you donā€™t want them bloating up on water.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It could just be an over active saliva gland due too stress or anxiety. Maybe cut back on length of walk to see if it helps. My guy is 12 has done this on /off for many years.. never any health issues found when we had it checked by vet

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.