B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Just a quick update on Rusty:

His joints are still sore, but he perked up a little more each day he improved.

Bloodwork came back good.

He started licking his chops excessively again last night , and drooling started for a bit but was minimal compared to the puddles of drool last time and wasnā€™t for long.

They still think he has acid reflux. Now itā€™s trial and error to find what works for his acid reflux.

Rusty gets laser therapy once every month for maintenance of his spine since he does have IVDD, more of a preventative/maintenance.

But since Rusty was playing really hard with my other dogs the day before this drooling puddles happened, he fell on his side really hard a few times.
The laser therapy person felt down his back and was watching his eyes for signs of discomfort which most vets donā€™t watch the eyes, they just go over and if they donā€™t yelp or anything they think itā€™s fine.
The look he gave her when she touched certain areas of his spine was sore, like he squinted is eyes like a ā€˜ouchā€™ look and had a look of being sore in his eyes at certain areas she touched.
From the middle of his spine to the very end he is sore, which was likely from him falling when playing. His back leg is also sore a bit and a little weak from his back she thinks

I noticed his back leg was a little weak last night, off and on, not all the time.

I hope we caught it early and he recovers quickly. Other than that he is very happy and wanting to play, but Iā€™m trying to limit the play until he is fully recovered. I have also added another Joint supplement which also seems to help with his sore joints.

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
Drooling from pain seems definitely possible. When I busted my back Iā€™m sure I drooled as well as everything else, the pain makes you just let whatever happens happen.

So the doc found the sore spots on his spine, and he already had issues and fellā€¦ seems like a bullseye.

What is the plan going forward from here? Supplements? Medicines? Acupuncture and/or chiropractic?

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Drooling from pain seems definitely possible. When I busted my back Iā€™m sure I drooled as well as everything else, the pain makes you just let whatever happens happen.

So the doc found the sore spots on his spine, and he already had issues and fellā€¦ seems like a bullseye.

What is the plan going forward from here? Supplements? Medicines? Acupuncture and/or chiropractic?

Yes that was my first worry when his mouth looked good when it was 14 at least hrs of drooling puddles and crying in pain and sore joints. He was in lots of pain the day after he hurt himself playing, thatā€™s when the drool started.

I give him CBD oil for seizures and pain, Green Lipped mussel, omegas, and the premium raw diet which he hasnā€™t had a flare up or seizure for almost a year since he was diagnosed, and he gets probiotics as well as bovine colostrum. All these have already made a huge difference for the health issues when I started giving it to him when he was diagnosed with IVDD and epilepsy. Those I continued to give him for maintenance.

When he fell hard playing, he jumped at my other dogs to play like usual(they are bigger than him), and he ended up falling on his side really hard a few times and then the next day was painful, now diagnosed with having acid reflux and sore spine.

He was diagnosed with idiopathic epilepsy and IVDD in July of last year. Although his IVDD wasnā€™t effecting him yet, it was diagnosed with MRI.
His spine/IVDD was my biggest fear when getting him.

Vet diagnosed Acid Reflux, and sore spine, I seen his joints were stiff/sore after the vet visit that night. All it took is him overdid it when playing.
Maybe he couldā€™ve been worse if I didnā€™t already have him on raw and the supplements.

Any dog can fall or get hurt while playing event when all he dogs are very gentle.

I added 1 more joint supplement for him being sore which seems to help.

Rusty gets laser therapy every month to maintain his spine since he has IVDD. She came yesterday and did laser acupuncture and also regular laser therapy. Rusty layed there and went to sleep. She is coming in 2 weeks again, or sooner if he is still very painful.

He is happy and tries to race around the house and play, but I have to stop him to not let him over play until healed.
He seems to be feeling better, he just needs rest while his back recovers.

From day 1 I have never let him do ANY stairs, no jumping on or off furniture, I carry him upstairs and help him on or off couch and only when Iā€™m on there with him.

For those who have done laser therapy, how long did it take to see improvement from laser therapy?? 1-2 sessions??

I already give him 3 meals a day so that I already do.

The plan going forward is supplements for the acid reflux, Iā€™m trying one right now for that for him, reviews are good too on it.
Laser therapy I will continue to get done for him like I have been for almost a year for maintenance.

I am avoiding medications for him. Causes more health issues, when he was in pain and they told me to give him Cerenia for nausea of acid reflux I gave him 1 which was the day he was crying in pain. That didnā€™t do anything and the side effects are all his symptoms, so I havenā€™t gave him any since. I will detox him from it when he is way better.

The vet asked if we want to give him the anti acid, but I am not giving it to him, as the dogs NEED their acidic stomachs to digest food and absorb nutrients and overall digestion. He also is NOT on seizure medication as I give him CBD oil instead which works.

So I will continue avoid medications for him and give supplements for it instead as itā€™s much better for their health without the side effects.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
just a thought -- and maybe you already ruled this out.... but has he been tested for lyme? Lyme tends to cause a lot of issues that hide it is lyme till you actually test for it

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
just a thought -- and maybe you already ruled this out.... but has he been tested for lyme? Lyme tends to cause a lot of issues that hide it is lyme till you actually test for it

No we havenā€™t tested for that. Our vet didnā€™t ask or recommend we do the Lyme test(I didnā€™t even know there is one).

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
No we havenā€™t tested for that. Our vet didnā€™t ask or recommend we do the Lyme test(I didnā€™t even know there is one).
Like I said -- it is just a thought... lyme has so many symptoms that tend to be thought of as a different cause. it might be worth the ask/conversation with the vet especially since you have said a few times he seems in pain/joint soreness, which is a symptom of lyme

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Like I said -- it is just a thought... lyme has so many symptoms that tend to be thought of as a different cause. it might be worth the ask/conversation with the vet especially since you have said a few times he seems in pain/joint soreness, which is a symptom of lyme

Yes thank you for the thought.

I know he overplayed himself and fell really hard when playing the day before drooling started, that actually makes sense that his joints are sore. But his spine is very sore as well because he hurt it also when he fell, which we didnā€™t realize until a few days ago that his spine is very sore. He already has IVDD Iā€™m worried about his spine being sore!

His joints seem to be better, but his spine is very sore.

How long until laser therapy improves the sore/pain in the spine???
I thought you had laser therapy done for your dog? How long does it take until they are healed/not sore after laser treatment???

I read the Lyme disease symptoms and other than sore joints(which we are almost 99% sure itā€™s from the fall on his joints), he doesnā€™t show any symptoms of Lyme disease.

He also has been diagnosed with Acid Reflux as well.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Laser relives the inflammation which lessens the pain and is why they continue to go for maintenance sessions. Cheli goes for laser once a month, we worked to that maintenance schedule over a period of time, maybe six months, once we reached the once a month schedule we have stayed with it and we see issues if we are late taking him in.

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Laser relives the inflammation which lessens the pain and is why they continue to go for maintenance sessions. Cheli goes for laser once a month, we worked to that maintenance schedule over a period of time, maybe six months, once we reached the once a month schedule we have stayed with it and we see issues if we are late taking him in.
Yes I know it helps with the inflammation, thatā€™s why Rusty has been getting 1 session per month since last year(July) when he was diagnosed with IVDD. It has helped keep his spine good I think, however, itā€™s impossible to guarantee a dog wonā€™t fall or hurt himself while playing, so now he is sore because of the fall which is why his spine is sore.

She did laser acupuncture and then regular laser therapy treatment on Monday, Iā€™m not sure how long it takes to help with the pain of a injury.

Like would it take 2 weeks to heal, or would it take 2-3 laser sessions to be healed and not in pain for Rusty??

I know every dog is different but Iā€™m curious if approximately how long it will take to heal his spine with laser treatments.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
oh -sorry I misunderstood the question. The vet or technician should be able to give you that answer. It would really depend on how much of an injury it is. A few times Cheli seemed off and we just added in a few sessions a week till we saw him improve, then backed off and went back to once a month

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
oh -sorry I misunderstood the question. The vet or technician should be able to give you that answer. It would really depend on how much of an injury it is. A few times Cheli seemed off and we just added in a few sessions a week till we saw him improve, then backed off and went back to once a month

They just said it depends on the dog. And they said if you think he needs another session before the next time in 2 weeks, let them know.
But Iā€™m not sure if waiting another 2 weeks will be beneficial to him or if he will be less sore by then?

It normally gets done 1 day per month for maintenance. We never had to actually use it to treat a sore/pain in his spine.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
They just said it depends on the dog. And they said if you think he needs another session before the next time in 2 weeks, let them know.
But Iā€™m not sure if waiting another 2 weeks will be beneficial to him or if he will be less sore by then?

It normally gets done 1 day per month for maintenance. We never had to actually use it to treat a sore/pain in his spine.
I just decide for myself and call to make an appointment.... I've done it a few times, add two or three sessions during the month as I feel he needs them. They never stopped me but they do determine how often once I ask for the additional sessions ( every other day or twice a week, etc)

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I just decide for myself and call to make an appointment.... I've done it a few times, add two or three sessions during the month as I feel he needs them. They never stopped me but they do determine how often once I ask for the additional sessions ( every other day or twice a week, etc)
the last 2 weeks he had laser therapy done 1 day per week(last week I asked if he could have treatment that week and the week before that he had the routine once a month, but he will get treatment 1 day per week for the next 2 weeks(that would be 1 full month of once a week), and I hope thatā€™s enough to get him fully better.

How many sessions does it take for Cheli to improve if he is sore with laser?? Thatā€™s what I have been wondering is does it take 2-3 treatments of laser therapy for them to fell better and not be in pain??

I am asking cause Iā€™m not sure if he will be much better after the 3rd session this coming week or if it takes more than 3 treatments for the dog to ā€˜fullyā€™ be better/recover??

Iā€™m hoping In 2 weeks from now without play, he will be better cause that would be 3 weeks without play and 3 treatments of laser since he hurt his spine.

Last night he was very happy and he tried to around the house, I did stop him from racing around trying to play, but that can definitely be hard to stop them.
So I hope he is just feeling a little better for why he tried to race around last night.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
the last 2 weeks he had laser therapy done 1 day per week(last week I asked if he could have treatment that week and the week before that he had the routine once a month, but he will get treatment 1 day per week for the next 2 weeks(that would be 1 full month of once a week), and I hope thatā€™s enough to get him fully better.

How many sessions does it take for Cheli to improve if he is sore with laser?? Thatā€™s what I have been wondering is does it take 2-3 treatments of laser therapy for them to fell better and not be in pain??

I am asking cause Iā€™m not sure if he will be much better after the 3rd session this coming week or if it takes more than 3 treatments for the dog to ā€˜fullyā€™ be better/recover??

Iā€™m hoping In 2 weeks from now without play, he will be better cause that would be 3 weeks without play and 3 treatments of laser since he hurt his spine.

Last night he was very happy and he tried to around the house, I did stop him from racing around trying to play, but that can definitely be hard to stop them.
So I hope he is just feeling a little better for why he tried to race around last night.
We watch Cheli very closely, as I know you do you baby, so we truly base the need off of what he needs on how he is walking playing or sitting. We do see improvement after adding a few sessions.. whether it is an extra one a month or doing it for a few times a week when we see issues. One situation was he would not put hi back leg down at all... we took him in thinking it was going to be knee surgrey... x-rays did not show any issues, 10 days of pred did nothing, so we added two sessions and were told to force him to use it... he was doing much better within a few days. We still at times see him favor that leg, but we are told he is fine and nothing stops him from running or playing. As you know, laser won't sure, but it does help lessen any inflamation

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
We watch Cheli very closely, as I know you do you baby, so we truly base the need off of what he needs on how he is walking playing or sitting. We do see improvement after adding a few sessions.. whether it is an extra one a month or doing it for a few times a week when we see issues. One situation was he would not put hi back leg down at all... we took him in thinking it was going to be knee surgrey... x-rays did not show any issues, 10 days of pred did nothing, so we added two sessions and were told to force him to use it... he was doing much better within a few days. We still at times see him favor that leg, but we are told he is fine and nothing stops him from running or playing. As you know, laser won't sure, but it does help lessen any inflamation

Thank you for the helpful information, I definitely watch Rusty like a hawk like you do too.
Laser for sure really helps with the pain and inflammation and healing, I already have noticed Rusty isnt doing the ā€œknucklingā€ I think itā€™s called where his paw is upside down, I havenā€™t seen him do that in the last few days, hoping it stops fully.

He wants to play still, last weekend he tried to play and ran around , I stopped him but that tweaked his spine and made it even worse the laser therapy person said, he doesnā€™t seem in pain like he initially was, and the Acid Reflux is managed with supplement, no flare ups(knock on wood).

He has been getting it done for the past 2 weeks and also this coming week will be 3 weeks of 2 days per week, then we are hoping he can play without hurting his spine more next weekend, and the laser we will start working up to only 1 time per month over time after he is 100%.

He also likes to Roll around fast on the carpet, so Iā€™m trying to stop that too as he can hurt it more by dropping and rolling on the carpet, and he wants to play with my 1 other dog, but I want him to heal. I only take him for 1 small walk every night NOT a long walk until he is fully healed. We are hoping he will be healed by next weekend. Or at least allowed to play a little bit.

But now the problem is he is following the other dog downstairs when we go out as he has to stay home with her cause the other dog(we had 2 other dogs and also Rusty), so the older one with cancer is not with us anymore(had to be put down 4 days agoā˜¹ļø).
Rusty knows he is NOT allowed to do stairs since he was a pup, but he is following the other dog downstairs looking for the other dog when we came home yesterday! The stairs IS blocked BUT the other dog knows how to move it.
I know the stairs can make his spine worse, so I have to find a solution for the stairs issue!

Most Reactions