Emergency vet trip

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Tonight Winnie and Gus each gobbled up a chicken bone, one got a thigh bone and one a leg bone. As I saw them and was yelling "NO!" they swallowed them whole. I got some hydrogen peroxide down Gus, but Winnie, who has had the treatment before, wasn't having any of that nasty stuff. Can you believe that Roy and I together couldn't hold her down to get it down her throat?! She is the strongest dog! So I hopped in the car with Winnie and off we went to the emergency vet while Roy waited for Gus to throw up at home.

They did an xRay and, sure enough, there was the chicken bone. It was broken in two, so the vet didn't want to induce vomiting for fear of the sharp ends hurting her esophagus on the way out. The vet did say that dogs' stomachs are very acidic and usually dissolve chicken bones enough to pass, especially big dogs. She said that it is usually little dogs that have big problems when they eat bones. If the bone would have been whole she would have induced vomiting. Anyway, I'm supposed to watch her for any lethargy this weekend. It's always something!

Winnie, of course, had a wonderful time at the vet, giving hugs and kisses to everyone. Just another fun adventure for Winnie. By the way, Gus threw up his bone intact.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Pray that Winnie passes the bone with no problems, they keep us on our toes don't they

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Good grief, Winnie girl! I hope she quickly passes the pieces. These dogs will be the death of us!

Oh yeah, I can totally believe that you two couldn't hold her down. Bella is also freakishly strong!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Omg, I swear these dogs are going to kill us! I hope Winnie passes her chicken bone. Keep us posted, maybe take a few pics of you on poop patrol?? :walk:

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Donna, I actually just had this happen with Murray a few weeks ago and after a week of the bland diet ground beef and rice which he LOVED it turned out just fine. I have switched to boneless wings in the house for now :) but that's just me being a little paranoid! Keep us posted!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I hope everything turns out ok. Poor girl.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Goodness, well hopefully she will pass the bone. Many on here know the story, but our Bella swallowed a baby bird WHOLE and she threw it up a week later. She was fine, but I about had a heart attack!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:faint:

prayers she passes it safely! keep us posted

OP
Donnam

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Donna, I actually just had this happen with Murray a few weeks ago and after a week of the bland diet ground beef and rice which he LOVED it turned out just fine. I have switched to boneless wings in the house for now :) but that's just me being a little paranoid! Keep us posted!

Thanks, Carolyn, for tagging me to read your thread about Murray! I think I had read it when you first posted and promptly forgot! I'm glad now that I was unable to get the hydrogen peroxide down her since the bone was in two pieces, and lucky that Gus brought his up in one piece! I did seem to remember the part about feeding bread to cushion the sharp pieces. The vet I saw said that the bone would most likely dissolve and not cause a problem, but I will be looking for it in the poop! Winnie seems fine this morning. The vet said to feed her normally and not to curtail activity and just watch her for signs that she's not feeling good. I may add some bread and rice to her food.

I've had three bullies prior to Winnie, and a couple of them ate big parts of plastic toys that sat in their tummies for weeks before they threw them up. I didn't even know they had eaten them until they threw them up! After being in the stomach for so long, the plastic was hard as a rock--like petrified wood!

i'll keep y'all posted about Winnie.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Lord help us all that love & have bulldogs!

And yes, when they turn it on, astonishing
their strength...same with their speed, my
mouth has fallen open in shock when fat
Cami shows how fast she can MOVE...if she
wants too, lol

Will be praying Winnie has no further issues
with the bone...naughty girl!

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray

Thanks, Carolyn, for tagging me to read your thread about Murray! I think I had read it when you first posted and promptly forgot! I'm glad now that I was unable to get the hydrogen peroxide down her since the bone was in two pieces, and lucky that Gus brought his up in one piece! I did seem to remember the part about feeding bread to cushion the sharp pieces. The vet I saw said that the bone would most likely dissolve and not cause a problem, but I will be looking for it in the poop! Winnie seems fine this morning. The vet said to feed her normally and not to curtail activity and just watch her for signs that she's not feeling good. I may add some bread and rice to her food.

I've had three bullies prior to Winnie, and a couple of them ate big parts of plastic toys that sat in their tummies for weeks before they threw them up. I didn't even know they had eaten them until they threw them up! After being in the stomach for so long, the plastic was hard as a rock--like petrified wood!

i'll keep y'all posted about Winnie.
I swear once they get it in their mouths they chomp on it sooo quickly and poof it's down their throat! I'm sure Winnie will do just fine and will keep my fingers crossed :)

OP
Donnam

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I swear once they get it in their mouths they chomp on it sooo quickly and poof it's down their throat! I'm sure Winnie will do just fine and will keep my fingers crossed :)

And she knew I was after her--that's why I thought she swallowed it whole. Gus did swallow his whole. It was so quick, maybe a second, two at the most. I still can't believe Winnie bit her bone in two! She (I think it was her, but didn't see it happen) had some diarrhea once this morning. She is feeling fine though. Diarrhea wasn't one of the things on the list of stuff to watch for. I'll keep watching!

Most Reactions