General Question Dry eye and spondylosis - experience, tips?

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Long time no see! :hiya:

Aubie's 6 now, and she was just diagnosed with dry eye, hip dysplasia, and spondylosis.

IMG_20170423_170405.jpg

Her vet originally said she had entropion. We went in for a consult to see about getting it and her cherry eye fixed, but the vet said she would rather the ophthalmologist do it since she needs both done and she's a bulldog. So, we saw the eye doc yesterday, and she said no entropion (yay!) but definite dry eye (boo!). We're on tear stimulant (tacrolimus) and antibiotics (neopolydex) to get her eyes under control, then she'll have her cherry eye fixed. I have a few questions for those with experience in this:

1 - If it impacted your dog's vision, how long until you saw improvement?
2 - Is there anything we should be aware of when taking tacrolimus long term?
3 - Are there any other medications that might be recommended down the road that I should be aware of/concerned about?

She also had an x-ray recently that showed hip dysplasia and spondylosis toward her tail, but one area a bit higher, more middle back. We immediately removed her steps and built her a bulldog-proof ramp for the bed, and we're helping her drop a few pounds so she'll have less weight to tote around. She's not showing consistent signs of it, but looking back, there were times when she'd play hard and limp for a bit afterward, or she'd jump on the chair or bed and pant a bit afterward. She hasn't had such an episode since her ramp was built a couple of weeks ago, so hopefully it's helping.

Does anyone have experience with this condition? What should I expect? Anything I can do to keep her pain-free and active for longer?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Good to see you back!!! We've had several bullies w/the eye issues, except for dry eye... hopefully the meds will help her. Do you give her any supplements? I give my crew fish oil, that is supposed to help w/their joints. My boxer was getting apoquel injections, and that seemed to make a big difference for her... she had hip issues, and a bone spur in her neck.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Was she checked for Canine Distemper Virus as often they are linked together.

Iā€™m more on the holistic side before meds. I do know cod liver oil is at the top of the list for helping dry eyes cause it has a higher content of A & D than fish oil. The oil is extracted from the codā€™s liver and not from under the skin of a fish. Iā€™ve seen people putting a drop of CLO a few time per day in the eye and getting great results. I know sounds odd but you do have to admit itā€™s a natural oil. Also little pieces of raw liver is great as snacks. Again has to be Cod n not fish oil and if you do decide to try it, DONT buy it in capsules but in liquid, organic, certified in a bottle. Add some to the food too. Just a thought.

OP
AubreysMom

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Good to see you back!!! We've had several bullies w/the eye issues, except for dry eye... hopefully the meds will help her. Do you give her any supplements? I give my crew fish oil, that is supposed to help w/their joints. My boxer was getting apoquel injections, and that seemed to make a big difference for her... she had hip issues, and a bone spur in her neck.

Thanks!

She's getting a glucosamine and chondroitin supplement chew. She had a turmeric chew, but it left yellow stains on my carpet, so I was thinking about making her turmeric treats since its good for arthritis and inflammation.

OP
AubreysMom

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Was she checked for Canine Distemper Virus as often they are linked together.

Iā€™m more on the holistic side before meds. I do know cod liver oil is at the top of the list for helping dry eyes cause it has a higher content of A & D than fish oil. The oil is extracted from the codā€™s liver and not from under the skin of a fish. Iā€™ve seen people putting a drop of CLO a few time per day in the eye and getting great results. I know sounds odd but you do have to admit itā€™s a natural oil. Also little pieces of raw liver is great as snacks. Again has to be Cod n not fish oil and if you do decide to try it, DONT buy it in capsules but in liquid, organic, certified in a bottle. Add some to the food too. Just a thought.

She wasn't. I'll ask her vet about that. I haven't heard of the cod oil. Sounds worth a try, thanks!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks!

She's getting a glucosamine and chondroitin supplement chew. She had a turmeric chew, but it left yellow stains on my carpet, so I was thinking about making her turmeric treats since its good for arthritis and inflammation.

Hello stranger!! Where are pictures of that beautiful baby!?!?!?

As you may remember, we had Banks on laser therapy with a cocktail of meds. But our Frenchie,Chelios has spine issue, we use the laser therapy and Movoflex, which really help him.

I like the turmeric treat idea make sure you add a little black pepper to help the body absorb the turmeric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
AubreysMom

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hello stranger!! Where are pictures of that beautiful baby!?!?!?

As you may remember, we had Banks on laser therapy with a cocktail of meds. But our Frenchie,Chelios has spine issue, we use the laser therapy and Movoflex, which really help him.

I like the turmeric treat idea make sure you add a little black pepper to help the body absorb the turmeric

Hey! :D Just checked out the Movoflex; we'll be giving it a try!

And, of course, I can't deny a picture request...

DSC_0437.JPG

IMG_20170423_170405.jpg

DSC_0332.JPG

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey

I think you mean Adequan injections.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I know oscarmayer has recommended in past femoral head osteotomy for severe hip dysplasia. It's a much simpler and cheaper surgery than a total hip replacement. Also, weight loss will definitely help. The best supplement is the Movoflex. Another supplement you can try is Actiflex 4000 - about 1/2 tsp daily https://www.bigdweb.com/product/acti+flex+solution+32+oz.do and a teaspoon of turmeric ( build up to this ) with some freshly ground pepper.

Other medication you can try for pain include cannabadiol oil, or gabapentin and Tramadol on prescription.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online