oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
His eyes are droopy and sunken in. He cannot close his mouth fully. The muscles on his head are diminished and he's looking very old. He's been salivating like crazy and cannot hold food in his mouth. One pupil is dilated more than the other.
He looks like he is dying.
We finally got him in to see the Vet today and he's been diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuritis...a new one for us.
Trigeminal Neuritis read more here
Vet says he will need hydration and soft foods that he can swallow, like meat balls made from canned food. He loves ice cubes so he can get his water from them...not too many at once though. This boy has been through a lot over the years. He's only 6 and such a great guy. Vet says 2-4 weeks to completely recover. Expect some weight loss. I'm so relieved that it's something he will likely get past.

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
🤞wishing Dozer a speedy recovery. Thank you for sharing the link

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
His eyes are droopy and sunken in. He cannot close his mouth fully. The muscles on his head are diminished and he's looking very old. He's been salivating like crazy and cannot hold food in his mouth. One pupil is dilated more than the other.
We finally got him in to see the Vet today and he's been diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuritis...a new one for us.
Vet says he will need hydration and soft foods that he can swallow, like meat balls made from canned food. He loves ice cubes so he can get his water from them...not too many at once though. This boy has been through a lot over the years. He's only 6 and such a great guy. Vet says 2-4 weeks to completely recover. Expect some weight loss. I'm so relieved that it's something he will likely get past.
Can he go raw or has to be can? Cans are cook at such a high temperature it kills everything in the can. Just a thought….

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Holy wow! Never heard of this at all…. This boy is in great hands nd will good s new for sure!

big hugs to him

OP
oscarmayer

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
We've been feeding him Merrick Duck Dinner in the can. It makes nice little meatballs using a melon ball scoop. Hope he doesn't get used to this. Helene...Sandy is mixing his regular kibble in with the canned food and if all goes well he'll only be on this diet for a few weeks.
Vet advised to get a chew toy that's got some squeezability to it...something that will allow movement of the jaw to promote an increase range of motion. We opted for a Kong Squeeze stick. When chewed it sounds like it has bubble wrap in it and it will easily compress. He did OK with it but he's barely able to chew right now...simply no strength in his jaws, or anywhere on his face. Once he starts getting some muscle power back this toy will have served it's purpose and be removed from service.

Last edited:

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
First time I've ever heard of this condition!
Keep us posted and x0x0 to Dozer and you.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Poor Dozer. That's a new one for me too. There is always something! I hope he gets better soon and back to his old self.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Keep them updates coming cause I like most never heard of this n interesting to know what works n what doesn’t.

BTW them Kong Squeeze stick, are they Nyala proof? Still looking for something Nyala won’t destroy. To this day, (6 yrs)nothing stood up to Nyala. The original Kong, she doesn’t like that toy. She leaves it sitting there. Too boring for Madame.

OP
oscarmayer

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer is slowly getting his face movement back. He can almost close his mouth. We're still feeding him Duck balls. He likes the attention...and the wet food. Ice cubes have been a big deal. Vet told us that keeping him hydrated would be our biggest challenge. We told him "NOPE, he absolutely loves ice cubes and swallows them whole."
RJ, Hope Jewel is back to 100% in short order. Give her a hug from Sandy and me.

cgris

Feb 21, 2020
Texas
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
Hope Dozer gets well soon

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.