MomofJake

Sep 17, 2017
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
So we adopted a 9yr old EB a few months ago. We had to do a hard switch to our current dog food since he was a rescue. We gave him time to acclimate to our current high quality Chicken and brown rice food however he still has diarrhea. He has been to the vet so we know he is healthy. Do you think I should try Lamb and Brown rice or go straight to Grain free? I'm not sure if just changing the protein helps or if it's the rice that's the problem. We had a boxer that we had to put on grain free and he was not happy with it. He started to tear up our trash after the switch, so It makes me nervous to put our EB on grain free if its not necessary.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would go right to grain free --- add a little pure canned pumpkin (not pie filling) and he should be fine in a few days.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Soaked chia seeds are also a good alternative for firming stools. Pasting this info:
"Only 1 teaspoon for small dogs or 2 teaspoons for large, or 1/4 teaspoon for every 10 pounds of your dog’s body weight. Feed in seed form, soaked in water or ground; sprinkle on top or mix into food. Look for milled, organic chia seeds whenever possible."

Food grade Diatomaceous earth another good alternative to firm stools:
1 tsp for dogs under 50 lbs, 1 tbsp for dogs over 50 lbs. Make sure to mix the DE well into your dog’s food to prevent lung irritation from his breathing in the powder.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.