Dog Food

Junaid

Jan 31, 2022
Country
Pakistan
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet

What to do with expired dog food?​

When we think about the things that can harm our pets, the last thing to come to our mind is their food. It is essential to have the knowledge of how to store our dogā€™s food properly to prevent it from harming them by going bad. Dog food does not generally come with an expiration rate, instead, the packaging mentions theā€™ best byā€™ date. Most people think that the two dates are the same thing. Therefore, as a pet parent, you want to ensure that your dog consumes an adequate amount of nutrition so itā€™s important to learn the difference between the two terms.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I don't feed kibble. So how many days you got between the two days?

Anyway...
Confession - I've been known to give my dogs meat from a melted freezer about to go rancid after the power stays down for days during hurricanes. The sharper the smell, the more excited the dogs get. And then there's some stuff like liver that is about to turn green (liver goes rancid fast seems like) that they won't touch. Dogs can be pretty smart. Of course, I don't know if their instincts extend to the mystery kibble kernel...

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Rule of thumb, if itā€™s kibbles, never buy a bag thatā€™s not vacuumed sealed. Air destroys any food product. When I use to feed kibbles the bag was emptied into a big container with a rubber seal cover n in the closet it went.

Kibbles are heated to an extreme high temperature n why they donā€™t need to put expiration date. In human food same thing unless itā€™s anything thats on the dairy side, baby food n fresh meat. Then yes youā€™ll always have dates on them products.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.