Dog Food Change Story: Meet Vegas

Vegas018.jpg

I have always wanted a bulldog, being divorced 14 years and raising two boys I knew I could not afford one much less the expense of vet care. My boys are grown and on their own, and I remarried a year and a half ago, when my husband Joe ask me what I wanted for a wedding present..you got it...AN ENGLISH BULLDOG!! We got married in Sept. and I immediately started looking at breeders in our area, we rented so I knew adoption was out of the question since we also did not have a fenced in back yard. One day while doing a search I logged on to Craigslist to do my normal snooping around, and low and behold there was an EB for rehoming!!

I immediately contacted the seller and we talked over the phone, he was a young professional who was working 12-14 hours a day and having to crate Vegas (then his name was Deisel) and felt he needed a better home with someone to be around him. I had quit my job when I got married because I worked all nights and Joe worked all days and we hardly seen each other. So we drove to Tampa and met Vegas in person. He was 4 1/2 months old. After the park meeting and playing Joe said "well what do you think"....I already KNEW before I met him he was coming home with me!! This is 5 weeks after we got married.

He was a pretty decent puppy, doing the normal puppy things, I kept him on the same food as the previous owner IAMS
redface.gif
I had educated myself (so I thought) over the years on the care of EB's. As the months past Vegas was very itchy, always had severe tear stains, open sores on his face and was just miserable. I bought all different kinds of shampoo from Wal-mart but nothing seemed to help.

Then it began....He started stinking, and I mean STINKING!! My furniture smelled horriable, as soon as you walked in my front door it was horrid, and I am extremely anal and a very clean housekeeper. He had open oozing sores on his face, his eyes were about swelled shut, his nose was crusted and red. I took him to the vet and was told to just wash real good and use cornstarch. He then developed a severe ear infection so bad the puss was running out of his ear and....OH the smell!!!

I took him back to the vet and he was put on steroids, this making him pee all over the house after being completely potty trained. Joe was constantly telling me Vegas has to go. That he is ruining all of our new furniture, and our house was embarrassing how bad it smells. I felt so guilty!! I could not even snuggle with Vegas because he stunk so bad. I did not want him near me really. I was at my wit's end. I did not want him anymore because of the stench but I was afraid to give him up. I was afraid he would not be taken care of the way I was even if I was not real affectionate with him. He was One year old at this time.

I started doing research on the computer and came upon English Bulldog News. I think the first think I posted was "MY DOG STINKS!!" I got tons of questions all referring to what are you feeding him?? Food??

I thought to myself, "What does that have to do with him stinking so bad??" I need the right "Shampoo", or so I thought.

So the journey began I slowly switched Vegas over to a grain free food but it did contain potato, I saw no difference. It was @desertskybulldogs that suggested a grain-gluten free Nature's Variety Instinct food. I went to buy it and thought, "WOW $60 bucks for DOG food!?!?!" It was my last ditch effort. I did the slow switch and with in 3 weeks noticed a difference, within 6 weeks he was a new man, no redness in the face, no drippy eyes, no ear infection. NO SMELL!!! I took him back to the vet and we got a prescription shampoo, not cheap crap from Walmart, it is an antifungal-yeast shampoo and prescription ear cleaner.

WHAT a difference it made for both our worlds!! I now saw bright eyes and I could actually lay on the couch and snuggle with him!! That was a year ago, I now know that proper diet is the key to everything!! He gets Nature's Variety Instinct along with fruits, veggies and yogurt. I do battle with seasonal allergies living here in Florida, but nothing that can't be treated with extra baths and Benedryl. I love him with all my <3 and this site saved him from almost getting re-homed and saved my sanity!! Thank You English Bulldog News and all it's members for the continuous love and support.

Poor Vegas while on Iams..Red swollen face and so STINKEY!!

Screen Shot 2021-08-27 at 8.56.56 AM.png

Open sores on his head
Screen Shot 2021-08-27 at 8.57.22 AM.png

6 weeks later..YES only 6 short weeks after a food change!! Look how clear his face is, no open sores, no swelling, no redness!!!
Ryanandournewbaby034.jpg

Other Articles of Interest:
Dog Food Ratings
Understanding Dog Food Labels and Finding Bad Ingredients
Frequently Asked Dog Food Questions
Click to view our Great Products forum with Food Recommendations!

Q: Where can I find these foods?
A: You can usually get it from your closest feed store. If they do not carry it, ask if it can be ordered for you. Most feed stores can get many different types of food that is not on their shelf. But we found the best place, and that is to order it online, delivered right to your door, at very competitive prices. I was actually paying about $8 more per bag at my feed store that was over 20 miles away!

Get FREE shipping on all orders over $49 for life! Set up a shipping schedule so you never run out of food. Schedule can be changed, food can be changed, easy to schedule and EXCELLENT customer service!

Ready to try Petflow? Click Here!

Use CODE at checkout: ENGLISHBULLDOG

Click here to read testimonials from members who already order from Petflow!

petflowad.png

Do you have a Dog food story to tell?
Share your story with us today and show other owners what a good dog food can do!
E-mail us the following information to: [email protected]

1.) Your dog's name
2.) Two or more pictures of your dog on the new food
3.) One or more picture of your dog prior to the change
4.) Tell us what issues you were having prior to the change
5.) What brand of food you were using
6.) What brand you are using now
7.) Tell us how it changed your dog's life for the better.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online