Do certain foods make your Bully phlegmy ?

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
Hi everyone, we have just recently changed Dudley to raw food to hopefully help with what the vet thinks is probably arthritis in Dudleys hips.

We first started him on a “home cooked 100% fish” diet which he was on for three weeks but his energy level was at an all time low to the point of depression and he become increasingly phlegmy to the point where you could hear it rumble even when he was breathing.

We took him back to the vet who thought it was a upper nasal infection and prescribed antibiotics, that had no effect so we thought it must be his food.

We put him back on his old food and the phlegm went back to normal lvls within two days!

This past week we have put him on Paleo ridge Raw pork and apple but after 3 days of this he seems very phlegmy again!

So has anyone encountered anything like this with certain food triggers or while changing to raw?

Thanks
Simon

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Sorry, I wish I could help but maybe it is a case of if it ain't broke don't fix it. Perhaps you could do a mix of regular food and raw and see what happens.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Paleo Ridge is one of the best raw out there. Odd...

How old is Dudley, any airborne allergies, nasal infections as that will cause a thick mucus to go from one/both nostrils. Like a discharge.

OP
Zedsded

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for the suggestions, the reasonwe are changing to raw is because of mild skin issues and some paw licking.

He is currently on very cheap Food (not by choice) but it was the only one that didnt go straight through him after he had his kidney stone op.

We have eliminated all the allergens from the house that we can, air fresheners, washing powders, furniture polish have all been changed to natural products. All that made a massive help with his ears and ski but none of that caused phlegm.

His phlegm definitely became much worse after changing to fish, so much so that we changed him again after 3weeks to his current Pork raw which is a definite improvement to the fish but he is still more phlegmy than his has been for the past year on his cheap food.

Thanks again
Simon.

OP
Zedsded

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for the link! :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for the link! :)

It could be from outside too... grass, trees, weeds. I've had great luck with duck, rabbit and turkey for my guys

OP
Zedsded

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
It’s definitely his food, it got a lot worse when we changed and better when he went back on his old food.

We will havs to see how he goes on his newest food which is duck! :)

Ricothebully

Dec 29, 2021
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Rico
It’s definitely his food, it got a lot worse when we changed and better when he went back on his old food.

We will havs to see how he goes on his newest food which is duck! :)
How is it going? I seem to be having the same issue since changing my dogs diet, lots of phlegm and drool compared to before.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
He is 3 years old and he eats Acana adult dog food.
Forgot to ask you what he was eating before.

Acana is a high quality kibble. Which bag are you feeding him? Might be a single ingredient that doesn’t agree with him. That being said, the food might not cause his phlegm. Example inflammation in the throat can cause phlegm, acid reflux, blockage and bloat…..

Have you had him check by your vet?

Ricothebully

Dec 29, 2021
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Rico
Forgot to ask you what he was eating before.

Acana is a high quality kibble. Which bag are you feeding him? Might be a single ingredient that doesn’t agree with him. That being said, the food might not cause his phlegm. Example inflammation in the throat can cause phlegm, acid reflux, blockage and bloat…..

Have you had him check by your vet?
He is eating the Acana adult chicken. He was eating First Mate grain friendly duck and oat before. He has been checked by the vet and all is good there.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
He is eating the Acana adult chicken. He was eating First Mate grain friendly duck and oat before. He has been checked by the vet and all is good there.
First Mate grain has oats n brown rice. This is my opinion only, I don’t believe any dog or cat should be eating any oats or rice. They’re meant to eat meat, organs etc…

Have you tried the single bag protein Acana makes? It’s easier to monitor n eliminate ingredients. There’s also Zignature and Fromm that makes single protein bags.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.