Digging for... what?

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Four-year-old Castor has never been much of a digger and he never destroys things. Therefore, his recent hobby is puzzling. He has started to dig up a flowerbed (only one particular place, on several occasions the last week). Our garden is tiny, and the area he's been working on is not much more than 1 square foot. Nonetheless, he has destroyed several plants, and although I have now blocked off that flowerbed with some tools, he hasn't given up but tries to resume work. Apart from the flowers he has dug up, he has managed to unearth tulip bulbs and the expanding root system of our neighbour's lilac tree, but he doesn't eat anything, he just digs.

The area he has cleared is not big enough for him to lie on and it's not even warm here so I doubt cooloing down is his aim. Perhaps we should help him dig deeper to see if there is anything of interest.

Any ideas or experience of bulldog digging?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Four-year-old Castor has never been much of a digger and he never destroys things. Therefore, his recent hobby is puzzling. He has started to dig up a flowerbed (only one particular place, on several occasions the last week). Our garden is tiny, and the area he's been working on is not much more than 1 square foot. Nonetheless, he has destroyed several plants, and although I have now blocked off that flowerbed with some tools, he hasn't given up but tries to resume work. Apart from the flowers he has dug up, he has managed to unearth tulip bulbs and the expanding root system of our neighbour's lilac tree, but he doesn't eat anything, he just digs.

The area he has cleared is not big enough for him to lie on and it's not even warm here so I doubt cooloing down is his aim. Perhaps we should help him dig deeper to see if there is anything of interest.

Well our Walter loved to dig up our sprinkler system :cursing: it was extremely frustrating. Our boxer Roxie started digging HUGE holes in our yard, and she was searching for moles... she could hear them and wanted to "play" w/them which sometimes resulted to their demise unfortunately. Do you think you have critters he is digging for?

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Well our Walter loved to dig up our sprinkler system :cursing: it was extremely frustrating. Our boxer Roxie started digging HUGE holes in our yard, and she was searching for moles... she could hear them and wanted to "play" w/them which sometimes resulted to their demise unfortunately. Do you think you have critters he is digging for?

Thanks! Gosh - digging up the sprinkler system is worse than our little hole!

We've got ants and loads of Spanish slugs - but he doesn't care for them. No moles, and probably no mice, but there are actually hedgehogs. I doubt they would hide in that flowerbed, though. Perhaps they have been there, though, and he smells them. He does love hedgehogs (he even got hedgehog flees once after befriending one) so we should definitely look out for them.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)

Maybe Castor is a Truffle sniffer...:) Now [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] 's Walter has a fetish for sprinklers and landscaping as well. He has written a book to boot..."How To Make My Mommy Crazy." She just might be able to shed some light...dirt on the subject.

Chevysmom

Jun 3, 2017
Morehead ky
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chevy tank sparks
I agree I think he may be after something maybe critters maybe he just don't like the flowers who knows but I guarantee he has a purpose weather it is actually after something or just to make u wonder he is doing it for a reason

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie

Has he shown any recent interest in China? Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Maybe Castor is a Truffle sniffer...:) .

Ha ha - I wish!
There are actually dog classes for chanterelle mushroom hunting here, andn perhaps we should sign up for that!:D

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Has he shown any recent interest in China? Just a thought.

Perhaps we need to renew his passport! I think our antipode is somewhere southeast of New Zealand, though :D

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
He might be digging up and eating Cat poop form one of your neighbors cats. Have you checked his breath lately to confirm that it does/does not smell of cat butt? If it does then you're half way there. To complete the investigation you'll need to sniff out the offending feline and snuff it out...or not.
Have fun!

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
He might be digging up and eating Cat poop form one of your neighbors cats. Have you checked his breath lately to confirm that it does/does not smell of cat butt? If it does then you're half way there. To complete the investigation you'll need to sniff out the offending feline and snuff it out...or not.
Have fun!

Ewwwwwwww

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Have fun!

Interesting... I can confirm that i) several neighbours have cats and ii) Castor has a bad breath. We have blamed the fish in his kibble, but perhaps we should instead blame the cats who no doubt come into our garden now and then.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Have fun!

This was my exact thought.... cat poop is like candy to a dog -- they can not resist it

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
This was my exact thought.... cat poop is like candy to a dog -- they can not resist it

Surely my little darling wouldn't eat that?! Seems like it might be time to re-evaluate certain things here:D

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Surely my little darling wouldn't eat that?! Seems like it might be time to re-evaluate certain things here:D

it is amazing how they just can not resist it... my sister has 4 cats and two dogs - she keeps the dogs gated away from the litter box because of it

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.