Devastated lost our baby boy

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
Hi everyone havenā€™t been on for a while due to family stuff and this really isnā€™t the post i wanted to return with.

Some members will remember we lost our first boy Dudley suddenly at the vets during Covid a week before his 5th birthday.

We weā€™re devastated and couldnā€™t survive without a bully in our lives and so 3 months after losing Dudley we welcomed Wesley into our hearts and he was another very special little boy. He loved everything and everyone and loved his ball the beach and very long walks.

3 weeks ago he was taken ill on Sunday morning, vomiting and lethargic so we rushed him to the emergency vets where they said he was dehydrated and put him on meds and a drip and proceeded with x-rays.

we left him there and came home, an hour later we received a call saying he had picked up a bit and was more hydrated but they thought it better to keep him in overnight.

20 mins later we get the call to say he had crashed and they weā€™re trying to revive him and we should get to the vets but he was gone before we got there.

This was almost exactly what we had been through with Dudley less than two years earlier, we are both still in shock and canā€™t believe this has happened to us again. We are not over losing Dudley and Wesley was the one thing making it easier but now we are grieving both of them and itā€™s unbearable.

we had a post-mortem done for our own piece of mind and he had died from a congenital internal hernia which was a small hole in the sack around the heart, stuff had got through and pressed on his heart.

Wesley had a small external hernia which was regularly checked with no problems and we have already confirmed with two vets that if we had gone ahead and fixed his external hernia it would not of helped in any way, and the internal hernia would not of been seen.

So one of the reasons for posting this is that one in a million chance your bully has a hernia and you should possibly see any of the symptoms i listed please make sure you get them checked out.

Wesley was only 22 months old.

Please give all your squishy faced babies big hugs and kisses from me and my wife.

Attachments

• 7E8FD6C7-AEFA-4E05-B3DB-81397BEF4EFA.jpeg
    7E8FD6C7-AEFA-4E05-B3DB-81397BEF4EFA.jpeg
    782.9 KB · Views: 56

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
So sorry for your lossā€¦. I know how difficult it is to lose a family member we. Hugs to you.

Last edited:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I am so sorry for your (2) losses. I am sure the pain is unbearable. I send my prayers to you, and it is so sad to hear.
He was a beautiful boy,and he is a beautiful angel at the Rainbow Bridge.

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
My deepest condolences to you. It's so hard losing our pups. With the holidays coming up, I'm missing Porkchop already. Yet thank you for sharing that information. It may help someone now or in the future.

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Our hearts are just breaking for you, We send our love across that big pond, to you and your family during this exceptionally difficult time.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Oh noā€¦. Iā€™m so so sorry. Wesley was way to young. I lost Duke about the same age. So not acceptable. ā¤ļøā€šŸ©¹

RIP beautiful Wesley :angelheart:

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
I'm so sorry for your loss. It hurts so bad when they leave us but they will always stay close in our hearts. Sending hugs!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@Zedsded - I can't even think of words to give to you. My heartis crushed and I'm sitting here in tears for your pain and the gut wrenching whole in your heart.

Rest well sweet Welsey... you were amazingly loved and will be missed.

Hugs to you all

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Iā€™m so sorry for your loss!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
This is so sad...Rest in Peace little one.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
My condolences; I am so sorry you and your wife have had to go through this again.

OP
Zedsded

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
Thanks everyone for your thoughts, i know you all completely understand how we are feeling.
The house is silent and empty again, we canā€™t live without a bully in our lives but just not sure we can do it again.
So sick of hearing ā€œdid he die from a bulldog problem, because they are known for problems, arenā€™t they?ā€

and
ā€œwell, you wouldnā€™t get another one would you?ā€

thanks again everyone for understanding

simon

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Thanks everyone for your thoughts, i know you all completely understand how we are feeling.
The house is silent and empty again, we canā€™t live without a bully in our lives but just not sure we can do it again.
So sick of hearing ā€œdid he die from a bulldog problem, because they are known for problems, arenā€™t they?ā€

and
ā€œwell, you wouldnā€™t get another one would you?ā€

thanks again everyone for understanding

simon
Honestly, people that say those sort of things have never owned a Bulldog...or never should have owned one. There's no other dog like a Bulldog and never will be. We've been super lucky and have never lost one at such a young age. We did lose MINI this year at age 5...but she had Megaesophagus and came into rescue because of that. We knew all along that she likely would not live long.
Sandy and I have rescued over 1000 dogs and every now and then we take in one that we know will never be re-homed due to medical issues. They become part of our family. Sometimes we have a spot available in our home and the right one just shows up at the right time. Some live a short life, some live a long life, & some live a very long life. We are OK with that and do the best we can to make them as healthy and happy as possible. I wouldn't trade any of that time spent with any of those Bulldogs for anything. And when room opens up in our home for another we will, without question, be available to a Bulldog...one in need or, perhaps, a puppy.
This mindset is not for everyone, however. Given time you will make the right decision that is right for your family. I wish you well and hope the pain you are experiencing now soon wanes and you are left with only fond memories Wesley and Dudley.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
What a shock to read your post. I am so very sorry for your loss. What a terrible thing to happen so soon after losing Dudley. Rest in peace, Wesley

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online