dental chews

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
does anyone know of any dental chews that are free of starches? almost all of the dental chews i see have some kind of starch or flour. my dog cant have beef, pork, chicken, starch nor dairy. having a hard time finding a chew that she would like and is not allergic to.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
does anyone know of any dental chews that are free of starches? almost all of the dental chews i see have some kind of starch or flour. my dog cant have beef, pork, chicken, starch nor dairy. having a hard time finding a chew that she would like and is not allergic to.

Raw Buffalo Knuckle bones, or marrow bones.

Buffalo bull sticks(these are not beef bully sticks).

Yak bones.

OP
M

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
if i take the meat off the bones and remove the marrow and give it to my dog, do I still need to be careful about bacteria on the bone and will i have to clean my dogs paws and face?

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
if i take the meat off the bones and remove the marrow and give it to my dog, do I still need to be careful about bacteria on the bone and will i have to clean my dogs paws and face?

When I give my 3 dogs raw knuckle bones I do not wipe their paws( 2 of my dogs are very furry), but my other dog I clean his wrinkles after having any chew to keep his wrinkles clean.
I clean his face after every meal(he is a French Bulldog), but you donā€™t have to clean the face either.

Also for the bacteria, every single food and treat has bacteria in it, in fact, Bully sticks is the top chew with the most bacteria, and itā€™s a very common chew that no one I know of(neighbours and friends) none of them clean the dogs paws or face after the chew.

Every food has bacteria(good and bad bacteria), even freeze dried foods, kibble, canned, cooked and fresh raw/frozen raw.

The raw meat on the bone is like a dental floss to the teeth and it has enzymes that promote good dental health, the meat and marrow is the dogs favourite(for Most dogs).

I prefer to give those raw bones on the patio so it doesnā€™t get stuck in the carpet or they donā€™t take it in the furniture(no matter what kind of chew even oneā€™s that are not raw, GROSS to be on the couch!)

OP
M

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
i read online that you can boil the bones for about 1 hour to remove all traces of meat and tendons and to soften the bone. but i know you should never give dogs baked bones . you think boiling is ok?

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
i read online that you can boil the bones for about 1 hour to remove all traces of meat and tendons and to soften the bone. but i know you should never give dogs baked bones . you think boiling is ok?

Bones are a high risk when you cook them because that makes them more likely to splinter and cause blockage and fractured teeth.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
moose paddles form Acadia antlers are a good option too

OP
M

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
She does have antler chews.

Iā€™ve been reading a lot more that boiling the bones softens them and that it is diff than baking them which causes them to splinter. You still think boiling is a bad idea?
Also I see Chewy sells roasted marrow bones. Are roasted marrow bones and knuckles ok for my dog?

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
She does have antler chews.

Iā€™ve been reading a lot more that boiling the bones softens them and that it is diff than baking them which causes them to splinter. You still think boiling is a bad idea?
Also I see Chewy sells roasted marrow bones. Are roasted marrow bones and knuckles ok for my dog?

Antler chews are good, but boiling for even 1 minute can cause them to splinter.

The only time you should boil bones is when your making bone broth and throwing the cooked bones right into the garbage once cooked.

Thatā€™s a myth that cooked bones are softer, itā€™s the opposite.

I think you can get ā€˜dehydrated bonesā€™
Which is different than cooked bones.

I personally wouldnā€™t cook any bones or give cooked bones to my dogs, that can cause blockages, fractured teeth, choking hazard and splinter.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I personally would never give any type of cooked bone to any of my pets

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online