Dental chews/toys recommendations please

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I started giving my dogs raw bones, until I recently seen one of my dogs break a tooth on the raw bone.
I am not gonna give raw bones for now and want to avoid, due to the concern of my dogs breaking another tooth.

My dogs don’t really like their Kongs(they each have 1), I know someone here said Rubber cleans teeth?

I don’t want to use the nylabones cause it’s made of plastic and my dogs as puppies before I took them away, they all had no interest in them, and same with antlers or Yak bones and bully sticks(yes they are picky dogs!).

I don’t know what else to try, that also won’t break their teeth.

How can I encourage them to want to chew their Kongs?
They all are allergic to peanut butter and dairy products, so I can’t put those in Kongs.

What else can I give them that’s a healthy chew, that will clean the teeth??

Any other dental products that any of you recommended to help keep their teeth in good condition? I am currently using a dental powder that has peppermint and baking soda. I do forget to brush his teeth most days🙁
That is what I use for Rusty the French Bulldog.

But for the other 2 dogs with kidney disease, I don’t want to use anything with baking soda cause if the sodium due to their kidney disease. What else can I use?

Are raw duck necks softer to give to the Frenchie(Rusty), for him to chew on and I don’t want him actually eating it(only to chew to clean his teeth? But I don’t know if he is allergic to duck. Does that have a potential to break his teeth?

Any suggestions please?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I think you are putting way too much thought and energy into this. At the end of the day, they are dogs and you are not going to have perfect sparkly shiny teeth with zero plaque. I don't do anything special to try and clean my dogs' teeth. Sometimes they chew on Nylabones, sometimes they chew on raw bones. I don't go out of my way at all and their teeth are fine. Is there some plaque? Sure, but it's all normal and nothing I am going to worry and stress about.

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I think you are putting way too much thought and energy into this. At the end of the day, they are dogs and you are not going to have perfect sparkly shiny teeth with zero plaque. I don't do anything special to try and clean my dogs' teeth. Sometimes they chew on Nylabones, sometimes they chew on raw bones. I don't go out of my way at all and their teeth are fine. Is there some plaque? Sure, but it's all normal and nothing I am going to worry and stress about.

I probably am, but they don’t really like to chew, I try to brush Rusty’s teeth and keep his teeth clean cause he is prone to plaque(like all bulldogs), but cause they don’t get Nylabones or raw bones anymore(I now have to pay a big vet bill cause one of my retrievers just broke her tooth on a raw bone), but their teeth are good, of course there will be plaque, I don’t expect perfect teeth, but my options for giving the dog with broken tooth is limited cause they can’t have high phosphorus or sodium treats or dental products(I can’t use the dental powder I use for Rusty cause it’s got baking soda in it, which she shouldn’t have cause her kidney disease), so I’m trying to find something to brush her teeth with that doesn’t have Chemicals.

Their teeth look great(other than the broken tooth the retriever has), but Rusty has a little tartar which I scrape off and brush his teeth(not often lately but will try for 1 day every other day or night if once a day isn’t possible-it’s easy to forget!).

But I think, this is my opinion which I think you all will agree with- dogs need and should to chew so since no more raw bones and no nylabones, I only give cow ears, which they like, but I am trying to find another thing for them to chew and something to brush the retrievers teeth with that’s safe for her kidneys. Rusty’s I use legendary canine brand, tooth powder which he is not allergic to and has no chemicals, but I need to find something for the other dog!

They are all raw fed which helps with the dental health.

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Try putting Peanut butter in the Kong

I know that’s a option but I avoid peanut butter for these reasons I didn’t know until I seen these🙁
Very interesting info in these links I attached.

That’s why I’m trying to find something else to put in Kong to encourage them to chew it🙂

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I buy Almond butter or Adams PB. Only one ingredient in Adam n it’s peanuts, that’s it.

Ok, what almond butter do you get?
Can dogs have it?

Peanuts have the glyphosate in it, so all peanut butter has it in it unfortunately.

Thank you ! 🙂

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Ok, what almond butter do you get?
Can dogs have it?

Peanuts have the glyphosate in it, so all peanut butter has it in it unfortunately.

Thank you ! 🙂
I buy mine at Costco. It’s organic too. Or go to your health food store. Make sure it’s organic. Cheaper at Costco. Make sure it contains only one ingredient n no added sugar or sweetener like Xylitol that’s highly toxic to any pet.

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
YOU!!!! @helsonwheels :giggle: ( Bullibones)
Are the bullibones really hard? Or flexible?? Do they get really sharp on where they chew and pieces come off?

Are they made of plastic or what are they made of? It’s hard from the photo in the link.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
YOU!!!! @helsonwheels :giggle: ( Bullibones)
“YOU” loll

No I don’t give them that. You’re talking about that box with the Bulldog on it?

Mine is as the attachment. One ingredient only n it’s beef. Made in Canada

Attachments

• CEBD8F76-8EFB-4342-AE98-872ECDB13AAC.jpeg
    CEBD8F76-8EFB-4342-AE98-872ECDB13AAC.jpeg
    403.6 KB · Views: 30

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
“YOU” loll

No I don’t give them that. You’re talking about that box with the Bulldog on it?

Mine is as the attachment. One ingredient only n it’s beef. Made in Canada
My dogs are addicted to these treats. We call it Doggy Crack! It is the only treat that is guaranteed to get Buster moving.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.