Dehydrated raw base mix question

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Just wondering if anyone here has checked if their dehydrated raw base mix covers all the vitamins and minerals needed for the dog once you include all the protein you have added? One person on dogfoodadvisor said that there isn't enough per gram of food once you add in the protein. Other people on that forum disputed that. It does mention on the Honest Kitchen base mix website that it's for adult and senior dogs only, indicating it's probably light in calcium and phosphorus. I'm too lazy to look up AAFCO guidelines which are based on amount of food dog is eating and do the math.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I'll be interested as well.. And though many don't like rotating foods,, I do rotate ( Hank seems to have good gut because of it) because I'm always concerned about things like what your asking.. I always hope that what one is lacking the other will fill in... I'd kind of love if The honest Kitchen is PERFECT as Hank has perfect poop with it ;) I do use both the preference and kindly as they have different stuff, but have also used Sojo's in rotation, and Acana +or Orijen kibble at times. Anyway, got carried away with my own thought ...as usual... and will be interested to hear how this comes out.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] [MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION]

I think some of the Honest Kitchen are only for adults

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Dollys Owner

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
On Dogaware.com it says Preference base mix does not meet AAFCO guidelines: DogAware.com: Dog Food Mixes
The Honest Kitchen offers dehydrated foods that can be used as complete diets, but are designed so that you can add your own fresh foods. Preference and the new Hale and Kindly varieties must have fresh foods added.Available at Amazon. Foods are made in a human food manufacturing facility, and are tested for melamine. "All our foods, except for Preference, are formulated to meet and exceed the AAFCO Nutrient Profiles.

OP
Dollys Owner

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Actually I think I figured it out. Honest Kitchen in their description for Kindly base mix does not claim it meets AAFCO guidelines. I don't think I would feel comfortable feeding my dog Kindly base mix with a protein for the rest of her life. She would probably eventually get some nutritional deficiencies.
Honest Kitchen description of Kindly:
Kindly is a delicious base mix that skips out on fruits, potatoes and grains but still holds onto the healthy vitamins and minerals your sensitive hound needs. Just add water and your own choice of raw or cooked protein. It’s like making a home-cooked meal without all the prep work and never-ending dirty dishes.

Here is what Honest Kitchen says for Marvel, a product that includes the protein:
A minimalist recipe that’s easy on the digestive tract and your pup’s taste buds, Marvel is, well, a marvel. Featuring only six grain-free ingredients—including cage-free turkey and novel navy beans, each whole-food, human-grade cupful is perfect for hounds with dozens of food sensitivities. Marvel is an AAFCO complete and balanced recipe and is great for adult and senior dogs.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Buttttt. What about this statement then...... "All our foods, except for Preference, are formulated to meet and exceed the AAFCO Nutrient Profiles."

OP
Dollys Owner

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
The Kindly mix is newer, so I'm guessing that page on Dogaware.com was made when Preference was the only base mix. The main difference is that Preference has fruits and Kindly has nuts and seeds. They both have vegetables. I'm not 100% sure that I'm right about Kindly not meeting AAFCO guidelines but you would think they would put that in their description if it did.

Buttttt. What about this statement then...... "All our foods, except for Preference, are formulated to meet and exceed the AAFCO Nutrient Profiles."

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I read my Preference box dont see where it meets AAFCO. At them prices you would think they would make it right. I always make sure Nyala gets her Greek yogurt, fresh fruits, vitamins, oils throughout the week. But if you go on dog advisor, they rank it highly.

OP
Dollys Owner

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Dogfoodadvisor doesn't rate the base mixes, just the complete blends. I think you are safer with Honest Kitchen using the complete blends if it's for long term use, so that you don't end up with vitamin and mineral deficiencies. I'm pasting from dogfoodadvisor the AAFCO designations eg. M for maintenance, A for all life stages, and you'll see that the base mixes aren't mentioned.

Each recipe below includes its related AAFCO nutrient profile when available on the product’s official webpage: Growth, Maintenance, All Life Stages, Supplemental or Unspecified.

Honest Kitchen Zeal Grain Free Fish Recipe [M]
Honest Kitchen Love Grain Free Beef Recipe [A]
Honest Kitchen Embark Grain Free Turkey Recipe [A]
Honest Kitchen Brave Grain Free Fish and Coconut [A]
Honest Kitchen Hope Beef and Chickpea (4.5 stars) [M]
Honest Kitchen Spruce Duck and Sweet Potato (4.5 stars) [A]
Honest Kitchen Force Grain Free Chicken Recipe (4.5 stars) [M]
Honest Kitchen Marvel Grain Free Turkey and Parsnip (4.5 stars) [M]

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Just a thought.....Is it because they can't claim it because the meat is not in their "yet" and they can't confirm that you will put the right amount?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Just a thought.....Is it because they can't claim it because the meat is not in their "yet" and they can't confirm that you will put the right amount?

That's what I was thinking. And I always wondered with the base mix if they were getting all of the nutrients that are needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Dollys Owner

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
You could be right, but if I every switch my dog to Honest Kitchen I think for convenience sake and for peace of mind I'd use the complete mixes. If I know my dog is good with beef or turkey or whatever protein, why not let them supply it?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
You could be right, but if I every switch my dog to Honest Kitchen I think for convenience sake and for peace of mind I'd use the complete mixes. If I know my dog is good with beef or turkey or whatever protein, why not let them supply it?

Ive crossed and slept across Canada a lot of times. And I can tell you Alberta is the most expensive place to buy food. They just squeeze everything you have in your pocket when it comes to buying food, dog food, houses etc. HKP here is $75 HKT is $130 $55 difference! The way I see it, buy 2 turkeys for 55 $ boil them, keep the broth n feed it to your dog. Buy lean ground beef for $55 at costco and you can do 1.5months with it.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We use the Preference base mix in the summer as it helps with controlling allergy flare ups for Harlea and other times when she isn't feeling well.. We have used it for the past 3 years with no issues or identified deficiencies by her vets. We understand it is not AAFCO compliant so we have always added what we felt it was lacking and will continue to do so as needed. Long term I would not recommend using the base mix by itself but if you add the additional nutrients there should be no problems at all.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
am I missing something? I still see that the claim cant be made as it 'IS NOT' complete on it's own but with the correct added protein then it becomes complete. Not that that's all that it seems any of us feed, we all add other stuff besides protein anywy, but only once have I seen that the person thought that you could feed just the mix w/0 adding anything (protein) and so that is my th0ought..

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.