Help Needed! Cysts- open and bleeding

tressetar23

Nov 27, 2020
USA, Colorado
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Armando
Can anyone help or make suggestions on how to help with cysts? My bully has 2 cysts on one paw at the moment, one at the top of the paw and one on the bottom on his paw pad. I have been soaking in epsom salt throughout the day today trying to keep him in his kennel as much as possible. Tonight the cyst on the bottom of his paw opened and started bleeding. I went to walgreens for some antibacterial irrigation, betadine, gauze pads, wrap and bitter apple spray. I am really hoping this does not result in a trip to the vet! Any advice would be very helpful! Thank you in advance!

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
Hi tressetar, if these are interdigital cysts ? Then it’s completely normal for them to sometimes burst after being bathed in Epsom salts, we would just try and keep them clean and dry after they burst and would bath them with salt water, they generally cleared up within a couple of days after bursting.

I am sure there will be plenty of advice coming from other members about treatments but might be easier if you could post a photo too?

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
Hi tressetar23, like zedsded said it is completely normal. My girl gets them frequently and i believe hers are due to outside environmental allergies.
I do the following:
put her in an empty sink and run some water on her paws to get them wet. Rub in some Duoxo Shampoo or mouse and let sit for 10 min. I use this time to wipe her folds really good with Duoxo Pads and clean her ears.

https://www.amazon.com/Douxo-AntiSe...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

https://www.amazon.com/Sogeval-Doux...&keywords=douxo+shampoo&qid=1609850187&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/Sogeval-Doux...keywords=douxo+shampoo&qid=1609850187&sr=8-28

After 10 min fill the sink with 1-2 inches of water and a half cup epsom salt, 2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar and a drop or 2 of lavender essential oil. Keep the baby in there for another 10 min at least. 15 if you can.
Let sink drain and dry the paws really good.

I do this 2x a day when the cysts are bad and decrease as they start healing to once a week until gone.
Like Zedsded said, after soaking they do burst and that is ok, just be sure to wipe them dry and then I use Bag Balm on them. They always like to lick the cysts and this is safe for them to lick. I do try to apply it after they fall asleep so they aren't licking it too much. You can buy this at the local drug store. I have heard others using Nu-stock as well. i just haven't tried that yet.

A natural peanut butter that does not have Xylitol in it is great to keep on had. I just spoon little bits and let her lick the spoon every 4 minutes or so to keep her occupied while in the sink. She loves it.
It is good if you can figure out what is causing the cysts. It could be outside grass etc, or paws getting wet and not drying which will also cause yeast as well. Be sure to wipe and dry paws everytime he/she goes outside.
Also it could be a food related allergy.

Pics would be helpful so if you can please share. I am sorry this is a long post but I do hope it helps!
I hate when these occur because it just breaks your heart to see them with anything that hurts...

Please let us know how it goes.
Much Love, Stella and Harvey

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My Walter will actually burst the cysts on his own... you have been given some great advice, normally you do not require a vet visit.

OP
tressetar23

tressetar23

Nov 27, 2020
USA, Colorado
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Armando
Thank you everyone for your replies! I did get all 3 Duoxo products ordered this morning for Armando. I was not able to get a good picture of the open cyst on his paw pad to share :( Thankful he did keep the paw sock on, with the vet wrap and iodine pads through the night. I have more vetwrap coming this morning to soak, clean and re-wrap him. Armando is new to the family and our first dog. We have had him since October 2020. He was on a purina salmon and rice blend but we had to change his food due to prior cysts, yeast overgrowth, on set of ear infection and inflammation. We are currently feeding Acana duck & pear kibble and he has settled down a lot. He does get duck neck as snacks/ treats. I have been very careful about his diet and allergies, he is very sensitive. I will incorporate raw fruits and veggies one by one to gauge his tolerance. We are big on daily juicing, Armando is always curious on what I am chopping up! I was doing a daily wipe out of his folds and feet with apple cider vinegar & water but stopped doing it daily because I noticed his nose was not as yeasty being on he new kibble. I assumed he was OK to go longer without daily cleanings, I guess I was wrong! I believe the cysts are my fault for not keeping up on his daily cleanings! Lesson learned!

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
Thank you everyone for your replies! I did get all 3 Duoxo products ordered this morning for Armando. I was not able to get a good picture of the open cyst on his paw pad to share :( Thankful he did keep the paw sock on, with the vet wrap and iodine pads through the night. I have more vetwrap coming this morning to soak, clean and re-wrap him. Armando is new to the family and our first dog. We have had him since October 2020. He was on a purina salmon and rice blend but we had to change his food due to prior cysts, yeast overgrowth, on set of ear infection and inflammation. We are currently feeding Acana duck & pear kibble and he has settled down a lot. He does get duck neck as snacks/ treats. I have been very careful about his diet and allergies, he is very sensitive. I will incorporate raw fruits and veggies one by one to gauge his tolerance. We are big on daily juicing, Armando is always curious on what I am chopping up! I was doing a daily wipe out of his folds and feet with apple cider vinegar & water but stopped doing it daily because I noticed his nose was not as yeasty being on he new kibble. I assumed he was OK to go longer without daily cleanings, I guess I was wrong! I believe the cysts are my fault for not keeping up on his daily cleanings! Lesson learned!

oh having a Bullie there are always lessons to be learned! It's definitely not your fault!!
My girl Stella is very sensitive too and she has a ton of issues.. Some dogs are more prone than others and I assume a good part of that is hereditary..
Keep doing what your doing, it sounds like you are doing a great job! What a lucky boy Armando is. I do hope the one under his paw heals quickly as i am sure that is not comfortable to walk on.
I am impressed he kept the sock on.. i have taped them to Stella before and she always manages to pull them off.. lol

Good choice on the food change, that should certainly help a lot!!

You have come to the right place here. Everyone is so knowledgeable and helpful. I was a first time EB mom a few years ago and the first cyst that burst i was in a total panic.
This group has helped me through many many issues and I am always learning from them. I am also still finding new information on this site.. almost 3 years later.

Keep us updated and I am happy you found EBN! PS... don't forget pictures of your sweet Armando:)

OP
tressetar23

tressetar23

Nov 27, 2020
USA, Colorado
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Armando
Thanks so much Theresa! I was able to figure out how to get Armando's picture attached to my profile :)

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
oh that sweet face!!! could kiss it all day!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thanks so much Theresa! I was able to figure out how to get Armando's picture attached to my profile :)

Hi n welcome!! This is definitely interdigital cysts and has nothing to do with food. Btw Acana Duck is perfect. You will find interdigital cysts mostly on web paw dogs. Yes EB have web paws. I’ve tried everything n the best thing to get rid of them is NuStock or Bag balm. But NuStock is better. I just recently put some on Jake’s paw. Wrapped it up with vet wrap before bed n he kept it on almost 2 days n cyst gone. It basically dries up. There’s nothing to do for interdigital cysts. They simply come n go. So plz don’t give antibiotics or anything a vet will tell you to try as it’s wasted $$. Buy yourself a tube of NuStock as you will need it for other issues if any.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Any updates I do not wana give my dog antibiotics
Again you never give antibiotics to a dog cause of indigital cyst. It’s not an issue of blood etc but food n maintenance. IC comes n goes. Antibiotics will simply weaken the immune system n then they will come back more often. Food is Fuel as we say. Check the proteins you’re giving your dog. Check the other threads as it states what to do n what to avoid. It works! It’s simply patience n yes trails. Do ad fermented sauerkraut or fermented veggies to the meals.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.