General Question Crusts on edge of ears

ekoshea

Apr 2, 2019
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gibbs
We have a 2 year old English Bulldog who has crusts on the edge of his ears. He seems to have mild seasonal allergies and we give him Zyrtec for this. The crusts on the ears do not seem to change with the seasons. He eats ZiwiPeak Lamb and does very well on it - no tear stains at all. Does anyone know what might be causing the ear crusts? You can barely see them, but you can feel them. Of course he has been to the vet, and does not have mange and the vet has no idea what is causing this. Thanks!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] didn't someone on FBN deal with weird crusty ear edges? It was awhile back.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@2BullyMama didn't someone on FBN deal with weird crusty ear edges? It was awhile back.

Yes... gonna go search for it, I remember them giving an update, but not sure what it was.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes... gonna go search for it, I remember them giving an update, but not sure what it was.

I feel like there was an update as well as to what it ended up being.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I found it...they said it was hyperkeratosis. Not sure if that is what is going on here but might be worth checking out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I found it...they said it was hyperkeratosis. Not sure if that is what is going on here but might be worth checking out.

Great!! What thread? Iā€™m still searching... she was in Italy, right?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Great!! What thread? Iā€™m still searching... she was in Italy, right?

Yes! Itā€™s called Possible Allergies? I searched crusty ear. And apparently I referenced a similar thread on EBN which now I canā€™t remember the thread name.

Not sure if the below will work. Iā€™m on my phone.

Possible Allergies?
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...ognews.com/showthread.php?t=6099&share_type=t

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
We have a 2 year old English Bulldog who has crusts on the edge of his ears. He seems to have mild seasonal allergies and we give him Zyrtec for this. The crusts on the ears do not seem to change with the seasons. He eats ZiwiPeak Lamb and does very well on it - no tear stains at all. Does anyone know what might be causing the ear crusts? You can barely see them, but you can feel them. Of course he has been to the vet, and does not have mange and the vet has no idea what is causing this. Thanks!

Photo would be great.

I read a thread on that too somewhere....sadly hyperkeratosis has no cure. Usually grows under paws n nose. Only way to get rid of it is to trim the hard skin. Vet can do that.

https://www.caninejournal.com/hyperkeratosis-in-dogs/

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.