Could peas or legumes be the problem?

Ricothebully

Dec 29, 2021
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Rico
So my 3 year old boy has been struggling with allergies for a long time. I have taken him to the vet, tried the allergy meds and many different foods. Nothing has helped. He is itchy. His ears are always dry and scaly and around his eyes. He licks his paws and I constantly have to stop him from scratching. He will sometimes scratch violently till he bleeds. The vet said itā€™s allergies. So I have been looking at all the foods I have ever tried him on, the Acana, zignature, orijen, go!, and the one thing I can find in common is the peas and legumes. Everyone always advised me to go grain free. What if itā€™s the peas/legumes? I know when we got him from the breeder, he was fine eating victor which didnā€™t have these ingredients and wasnā€™t grain free. The problem is we got him in the US and now in Canada we canā€™t get that brand, that is why we switched. Any thoughts?

berlin78

Jun 23, 2017
WA State
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie & Chloe (Bella RIP 2019)
So my 3 year old boy has been struggling with allergies for a long time. I have taken him to the vet, tried the allergy meds and many different foods. Nothing has helped. He is itchy. His ears are always dry and scaly and around his eyes. He licks his paws and I constantly have to stop him from scratching. He will sometimes scratch violently till he bleeds. The vet said itā€™s allergies. So I have been looking at all the foods I have ever tried him on, the Acana, zignature, orijen, go!, and the one thing I can find in common is the peas and legumes. Everyone always advised me to go grain free. What if itā€™s the peas/legumes? I know when we got him from the breeder, he was fine eating victor which didnā€™t have these ingredients and wasnā€™t grain free. The problem is we got him in the US and now in Canada we canā€™t get that brand, that is why we switched. Any thoughts?
I tried quite a few foods when Sophie was younger because of allergies and I discovered that any food that had peas in it actually made her sick. Like, she would actually get phlegmy and eventually throw up. I stopped giving her any food that has peas in it. It can definitely be an allergen. Limited Ingredient Honest Kitchen is a great option, although it is spendy. I supplement her with that though, and try to rotate occasionally. She loves the Turkey and the Whitefish; next up is Duck!

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet

She could be allergic to those ingredients in the food, but also grains can be a very common allergy.

Another really good kibble option available in Canada is Natures Logic, itā€™s very good, they have rabbit, pork, sardine, beef and lamb for proteins and also they do not use any peas or potatoes or legumes, they use millet instead which is a unique ingredient and less allergy.

I would look into trying the Natures Logic brand kibble and see if she improves. It also has added probiotics in it too.

She can also have environmental allergies too which is very common, I give my dog bovine colostrum powder for environmental allergies and it really helps, I give it 30 minutes before breakfast. Just let them lick the powder out of the dish so itā€™s absorbed on the empty stomach, itā€™s absorbed different and better.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
2 of mine get Open Farm with Ancient Grains kibble and do well on it. It is a Canadian brand. I personally donā€™t like to feed peas and legumes.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
In Acana if you noticed on the bag, the peas and legumes are approx 2% while in other brands will be extremely high as companies use it as a filler so itā€™s cheaper n more profitable. Allergies doesnā€™t mean itā€™s from food source either. In Canada we do have most American brands. Where in Canada are you cause itā€™s winter n I can guarantee you all 3 of my dogs scratches more cause itā€™s dryer in the house since we do need to heat the house. I got a humidifier n what a big difference for them. I use more coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil in their food. I never bathe them either in winter. Iā€™m asking questions:) Heā€™s 3yrs old, did you get him as a pup from USA or recently? You walk him outside in the snow? Is there salt on the sidewalk? Those are licking feet examples.

Has your dog been tested for allergies for the vet to say itā€™s from food? Just curious why he said that.

OP
R

Ricothebully

Dec 29, 2021
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Rico
In Acana if you noticed on the bag, the peas and legumes are approx 2% while in other brands will be extremely high as companies use it as a filler so itā€™s cheaper n more profitable. Allergies doesnā€™t mean itā€™s from food source either. In Canada we do have most American brands. Where in Canada are you cause itā€™s winter n I can guarantee you all 3 of my dogs scratches more cause itā€™s dryer in the house since we do need to heat the house. I got a humidifier n what a big difference for them. I use more coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil in their food. I never bathe them either in winter. Iā€™m asking questions:) Heā€™s 3yrs old, did you get him as a pup from USA or recently? You walk him outside in the snow? Is there salt on the sidewalk? Those are licking feet examples.

Has your dog been tested for allergies for the vet to say itā€™s from food? Just curious why he said that.
I did get him as a puppy from the USA. He has been itching violently for nearly 2 years. It doesnā€™t change with the season. The vet ruled out other things with skin scrape and ear checks and said itā€™s allergy related but doesnā€™t know if it is food or something in the environment. He said if it was environmental you should see a change with the season, so Iā€™m not sure. This started when we got him here and switched to using grain free foods. That is why Iā€™m starting to wonder if itā€™s the legumes and peas in those diets. I never tried olive oil in his food. Would that help with the dry skin on his ears?

OP
R

Ricothebully

Dec 29, 2021
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Rico
She could be allergic to those ingredients in the food, but also grains can be a very common allergy.

Another really good kibble option available in Canada is Natures Logic, itā€™s very good, they have rabbit, pork, sardine, beef and lamb for proteins and also they do not use any peas or potatoes or legumes, they use millet instead which is a unique ingredient and less allergy.

I would look into trying the Natures Logic brand kibble and see if she improves. It also has added probiotics in it too.

She can also have environmental allergies too which is very common, I give my dog bovine colostrum powder for environmental allergies and it really helps, I give it 30 minutes before breakfast. Just let them lick the powder out of the dish so itā€™s absorbed on the empty stomach, itā€™s absorbed different and better.
Thank you for your suggestions, I will have to look into these.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I did get him as a puppy from the USA. He has been itching violently for nearly 2 years. It doesnā€™t change with the season. The vet ruled out other things with skin scrape and ear checks and said itā€™s allergy related but doesnā€™t know if it is food or something in the environment. He said if it was environmental you should see a change with the season, so Iā€™m not sure. This started when we got him here and switched to using grain free foods. That is why Iā€™m starting to wonder if itā€™s the legumes and peas in those diets. I never tried olive oil in his food. Would that help with the dry skin on his ears?

If itā€™s environmental allergies all year round, grass and trees and bushes are VERY common allergy in dogs.

He could also be allergic to those if itā€™s all year allergies.

For the dry flaky skin, omega 3 such as herring or pollock oil.

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
What food was he on before you got him?

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
If it were me, I would take him to a Veterinary Dermatologist. Chumly had awful allergies. He was always red raw from scratching. He was tested in the UK at the local vet before we brought him here and all it showed was a few grasses. As soon as we got here (I made the appointment before we even arrived) I had him tested again. We found out he was allergic not only to grasses but wool, the cat and several other things. All environmental. Poor dog didn't stand a chance. We had wool carpet everywhere and two cats. We removed a lot (not the cats) and I gave him injections every week. It changed his life, and ours. He had the occasional flare-up from pollen, but he really was a different dog. This was several years ago and my beloved boy has passed on but it was the best move we ever made for him.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.