Congestion after eating

Reggie2020

Oct 27, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Reggie, or Reginald Oliver when in trouble
Hello all, new to the forum. My guy is just over a year old and he gets congested a lot. I have noticed that it is after he eats. The doctor twice now has said he had aspiration pneumonia. He is thinking that it could be megaesophagus problem. I do not think it is based on the symptoms that go with that my guy doesnt have. Do any of you have ideas as to what may cause this. My last two bulldogs did not have the congestion issue. If you have had experience with this, is there anything to do to mitigate the issue?? Thank you for any and all help. If you would like to see pictures of my boy Reggie they are on his twitter page (@reggiethebulld2). I will post some here as well once I shift the pictures to my computer. It is a pleasure to be here and look forward to the great contents this site has to offer.

MikeO

May 13, 2020
San Jose, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Stinson
Our dog was constantly getting aspirated pneumonia for the first year. It was caused by an elongated soft pallet. We raised his water and food bowls to minimize the chances of food & water getting stuck and later drawn into his lungs. He also gets congested from environmental allergies and we have used over the counter allergy medications and supplements to minimize the excess fluids/congestion. We probably did 20 other things that I don't recall. Eventually our only option was to have soft pallet surgery. The surgery does not eliminate the congestion, it removes the physical defect that makes it easy for food/fluids to get drawn into the lungs which cause aspirated pneumonia. His surgery was about six months ago and so far so good. Prior to the surgery, we never had more than a week or two between rounds of pneumonia.

OP
R

Reggie2020

Oct 27, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Reggie, or Reginald Oliver when in trouble
Our dog was constantly getting aspirated pneumonia for the first year. It was caused by an elongated soft pallet. We raised his water and food bowls to minimize the chances of food & water getting stuck and later drawn into his lungs. He also gets congested from environmental allergies and we have used over the counter allergy medications and supplements to minimize the excess fluids/congestion. We probably did 20 other things that I don't recall. Eventually our only option was to have soft pallet surgery. The surgery does not eliminate the congestion, it removes the physical defect that makes it easy for food/fluids to get drawn into the lungs which cause aspirated pneumonia. His surgery was about six months ago and so far so good. Prior to the surgery, we never had more than a week or two between rounds of pneumonia.
Wow, thank you so much. I am glad the surgery went well. My last bulldog did not recover from the surgery. So with Reggie the congestion he currently has I believe is allergies, its mostly nasal I think. The aspiration doesn't happen every time, which I am thankful for. We have just found out also he now has to be treated for Lyme which is what we now think caused him to throw up. We are going to have the barium xray done to make sure all the things are where they should be in his throat and esophagus. Thank you so much for the experience and I will certainly look into the OTC meds for allergies. R/Michael

MikeO

May 13, 2020
San Jose, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Stinson
We had similar results with Children's Benadryl and a supplement called Antronex. We stuck with Antronex twice a day because it's less harmful than Benadryl.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Very typical symptoms of Elongated Soft Palate…Have him evaluated by a Seasoned Bulldog Vet.

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Bruno kept having the aspiration pneumonia after throwing up problem. I think that is why the original owners gave him up. Rescue dog. He had the soft pallet surgery last December. No problems since.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I’m thinking the same elongated soft pallet needs to be checked.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.