Color curiosity

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
I am wondering if anyone can educate me on bulldog color. I have read of rare and highly desired and such, but is there a standard? Is there colors that are bred for? Is there colors that are tried to bred out? I'm not sure if I'm being clear with my question. I only ask out if curiosity. I have found my bulldog soul mate. My family chose Henry from personality. Something about him stole our hearts.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have no advice on this, but I will tag some members that do… Welcome to EBN!!! :D

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
This is straight off AKC's website for colors.

The color of coat should be uniform, pure of its kind and brilliant. The various colors found in the breed are to be preferred in the following order: (1) red brindle, (2) all other brindles, (3) solid white, (4) solid red, fawn or fallow, (5) piebald, (6) inferior qualities of all the foregoing. Note: A perfect piebald is preferable to a muddy brindle or defective solid color. Solid black is very undesirable, but not so objectionable if occurring to a moderate degree in piebald patches. The brindles to be perfect should have a fine, even and equal distribution of the composite colors. In brindles and solid colors a small white patch on the chest is not considered detrimental. In piebalds the color patches should be well defined, of pure color and symmetrically distributed.

I hope this helps to answer your question.

OP
Roseann

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Need to dumb it down a little. Does this mean red brindle would be solid colored with an acceptable white chest? Same with other brindle? Solid white, meaning no color patches anywhere? Solid red fawn or fallow, I'm assuming the white chest still applies. Piebald means only white head? I'm not sure. And what does inferior qualities of all the foregoing mean? Thanks for the help.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=10908]Roseann[/MENTION] OK any brindle can have white in it, and from what I can see of your boy, his color is acceptable. White can be solid white or white with brindle or solid colors, like the red and whites. Pied can have a solid white face or have color on their face. To be honest I have no idea what "inferior qualities of all the foregoing means. :)

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] I "think" one of the "inferiors" refers to various shades of color on the same dog. Like Blue is Red/White. But, he can also be Fawn/White depending on where you look. His sides are much lighter than his top. He doesn't have a uniform color.

Enjnene

Sep 25, 2013
Ar
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian
This is such an interesting topic I wonder myself is my boy piebald ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Roseann

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The link with pictures did help. Thank you. I believe that would make Henry a piebald. (I think) Very interesting. I've been doing a lot of reading on my little Henry. I may be obsessed! I keep saying he's got the voodoo! I have no experience with english bulldogs so I do my best to learn. I just couldn't seem to comprehend the colors. Thank you all very much.

Enjnene

Sep 25, 2013
Ar
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian
Ok I think piebald is what my Sebastian is :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] I "think" one of the "inferiors" refers to various shades of color on the same dog. Like Blue is Red/White. But, he can also be Fawn/White depending on where you look. His sides are much lighter than his top. He doesn't have a uniform color.

I agree, I think it means not solid in color. Like mostly fawn with white markings, mostly brindle with white markings, ect.

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
Both my ladies were listed by their breeders as red and white. As you can see, Liz is white. She just has a couple of black spots on her ears and one on her back. I never knew what piebald was before.

raetate

Jan 5, 2014
virginia beach, va
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
hercules
This is such an interesting topic I wonder myself is my boy piebald ?

this is interesting to me as well. I honestly didn't think about a lot of the colors and what not with English bulldogs.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.