buffym

Apr 30, 2013
Allen Park, Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie, Dually (Forever in my Heart)
Did they have to sedate her to look at
her palate??our vets here have to sedate them to be able to see that.

Thatā€™s scary that she couldnā€™t breathe in the night, no more issues since the pepcid AC???

How old is she now?
Yes she was sedated the first time because she was getting spayed. Once I brought her home for the spay (after they told me her palate was fine and she was doing good) she had all kinds of goop coming out her nose and kept holding her head up to breathe. Kept getting up all night long coughing up phlegm and holding her head up. Once I gave the pepcid she was fine. Had a couple more incidents since then where she woke up around 4am coughing up phlegm and sounding horrible. So now I give her the pepcid daily and havent had any issues. She just turned 1 on January 15th.

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Yes she was sedated the first time because she was getting spayed. Once I brought her home for the spay (after they told me her palate was fine and she was doing good) she had all kinds of goop coming out her nose and kept holding her head up to breathe. Kept getting up all night long coughing up phlegm and holding her head up. Once I gave the pepcid she was fine. Had a couple more incidents since then where she woke up around 4am coughing up phlegm and sounding horrible. So now I give her the pepcid daily and havent had any issues. She just turned 1 on January 15th.

Poor girl, glad she has improved now.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@Bulldog2001 -- Cheli actually had his done 3x... I will have to dig in his records to see the timeframes.

The palate is soft tissue so there it will grow back, it is just a matter of how much and when. Some are never impacted by the regrowth, but others are.

if you are doing the lemon juice it is best to squirt it in the mouth and not spoon it in. The squirt goes down, spooning it, if that is what you did, he most likely shook or spit most of it out --- just a guess.

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
@Bulldog2001 -- Cheli actually had his done 3x... I will have to dig in his records to see the timeframes.

The palate is soft tissue so there it will grow back, it is just a matter of how much and when. Some are never impacted by the regrowth, but others are.

if you are doing the lemon juice it is best to squirt it in the mouth and not spoon it in. The squirt goes down, spooning it, if that is what you did, he most likely shook or spit most of it out --- just a guess.

I did measure 1 TSP of the lemon Juice, and put it all in his mouth, he swallowed it all and I know 100% he did not spit or shake any out of his mouth, it was all swallowed. He cooperated better with me measuring it and putting it in his mouth than he did when I tried to squirt it in his mouth.

Thatā€™s crazy itā€™s very common for it to grow back again.

Poor Cheli, what was his age when he had the 3rd surgery? Did he have to have it done recently for the 3rd? Isnā€™t he 11 years now?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I did measure 1 TSP of the lemon Juice, and put it all in his mouth, he swallowed it all and I know 100% he did not spit or shake any out of his mouth, it was all swallowed. He cooperated better with me measuring it and putting it in his mouth than he did when I tried to squirt it in his mouth.

Poor Cheli, what was his age when he had the 3rd surgery? Did he have to have it done recently for the 3rd? Isnā€™t he 11 years now?
I gotta dig through files, I try to do it tomorrow or over the weekend. yes, he is 11 will be 12 in April.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Like it or not you need to squirt the lemon as it will provoke Rusty to cough n gag. Thatā€™s when the guk comes out. Do a good squirt.

RalphTheBulldog

Aug 30, 2019
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Ralph
My dog keeps choking/ gagging kind of coughing but more like clearing his throat OR irritation in his throat.

He was cuddled on the couch with me and then when he got up he started choking/gagging kind of hacking to clear his throat?

He had the elongated soft palate (shortened), everted laryngeal saccules(removed), thru surgery in November of last year and he hasnā€™t had any issues with his airway and no more choking/gagging coughing since(he was doing that daily all day and even when he eats, this was BEFORE he had his palate surgery), and the signs of needing the surgery have gone away fully since he had the surgery.

I wouldnā€™t think his soft palate would grow back this soon? Would it?? Can it even grow back after the surgery??

Why would he be choking/gagging or hacking to clear his throat?

He is 3.5 years old, this makes no sense why he would be choking randomly and sudden?

Does the cold weather have anything to do with this??

Any recommendations or suggestions please??

FYI he hates lemon, So I donā€™t want to use lemon unless itā€™s absolutely needed.
Ralph has had this a few times but he falls over like he's passed out, then we noticed he had been eating the skin of a football!

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Ralph has had this a few times but he falls over like he's passed out, then we noticed he had been eating the skin of a football!
Thatā€™s scary, At least you found the causešŸ™‚

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ok thank you.
Chelis' first was in May of 2013 at 2yrs old, the second was October of same year (as I stated before, it was due to scaring). His third was due to palate regrowth, an saccule issues which was in 2017 at age of 6.

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Chelis' first was in May of 2013 at 2yrs old, the second was October of same year (as I stated before, it was due to scaring). His third was due to palate regrowth, an saccule issues which was in 2017 at age of 6.
Thank you for checking šŸ˜Š

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
UPDATE:

Rusty had his vet appointment this morning, and she said itā€™s congestion in his nose, and to just keep a eye on it and monitor for discharge.

She didnā€™t say anything about wanting to check his soft palate, she said itā€™s common to need the surgery again, but only when the dog has the symptoms.

Iā€™m very relieved and happy itā€™s not his palate!!

For the congestion in his nostrils, there isnā€™t anything they can do for it. She said itā€™s due to inflammation in his nostrils.

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
So our vet recommended to still check Rustyā€™s soft palate to know if the soft palate is part of the issue or if itā€™s just the congestion in his nostrils.

I also did want to have his palate checked so I know for sure what going on, but now that the vet also wants it checked, I booked Rusty in to have them check it next week.

But they do have to lightly sedate him to check his soft palate.

I will update on the palate after it gets checked

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
UPDATE:

Rusty had his vet appointment this morning, and she said itā€™s congestion in his nose, and to just keep a eye on it and monitor for discharge.

She didnā€™t say anything about wanting to check his soft palate, she said itā€™s common to need the surgery again, but only when the dog has the symptoms.

Iā€™m very relieved and happy itā€™s not his palate!!

For the congestion in his nostrils, there isnā€™t anything they can do for it. She said itā€™s due to inflammation in his nostrils.

Itā€™s common a palate to regrow? Not necessarily.

Congestion in his nose, get a diffuser going in the house especially where Rusty sleeps. Eucalyptus, peppermint, tea tree, lavender, are all great to clean the congestion. Let it run a few days/nights. It will clear up within a few daysā€¦..

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Itā€™s common a palate to regrow? Not necessarily.

Congestion in his nose, get a diffuser going in the house especially where Rusty sleeps. Eucalyptus, peppermint, tea tree, lavender, are all great to clean the congestion. Let it run a few days/nights. It will clear up within a few daysā€¦..

His palate is getting checked next week So we know if thatā€™s part of the issue or not, and at least we will be aware if it has, but Hoping it hasnā€™t grown and itā€™s ruled out. Will update after it gets checked next week, if it is part of the issue or not.

Thank you, I will look into that.
Good to know those are good to help with congestion. I havenā€™t used a diffuser before or got any essential oils, all that is new to me.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.