Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
@2BullyMama @helsonwheels @Manydogs @oscarmayer

UPDATE:

Rustyā€˜s been snoring more and loud, and I can hear either the phlegm OR his palate(not sure what it is, but itā€™s noisy in his throat when he is a wake breathing), I am very tempted to try the lemon juice squirt(is it just a small squirt??), I already bought it, but what if he choked ok that? Will he choke on the lemon juice?

I have never had to do this, so Iā€™m worried.

But I am very worried because he hasnā€™t had any of these issues since he had his soft palate surgery(November 2021), those sounds went away when he had the surgery. Iā€™m VERY worried his palate grew back and needs surgery AGAINšŸ˜¢ā˜¹ļø

He is at risk for aspiration pneumonia from the long soft palate or with phlegm, Iā€™m very worried.

do you guys think itā€™s the soft palate again that has grown back??? Rusty will be 4 In March.

Wouldnā€™t it take more than 1 year for it to grow back?? I know it can grow back, but I thought we would be ok for a couple years at least?

What are your thoughts?? Do you think his soft palate already grew back in 1 year from last surgery?? Will he snore lots from phlegm??

And how long until you notice difference with using the lemon juice when I use it??

Please any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Iā€™m very concerned his palate already grew backā˜¹ļø

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Soft palate on bullies can regrow but in a yrs time is rare. Maybe just a maybe n a thought, it wasnā€™t all fully removed? Rusty needs a full checkup cause too many little things happening at the same time. I would do the lemon n itā€™s a squirt so he wonā€™t choke. Start with that šŸ‘

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Soft palate on bullies can regrow but in a yrs time is rare. Maybe just a maybe n a thought, it wasnā€™t all fully removed? Rusty needs a full checkup cause too many little things happening at the same time. I would do the lemon n itā€™s a squirt so he wonā€™t choke. Start with that šŸ‘

Rustyā€™s soft palate was fully removed(of what needed to be, we have before and after photos of it). And it was done by a board certified surgeon.

So you recommend me taking him to the vet for a full check up after trying the lemon juice OR take him to vet and then have them sedate him to check his soft palate, then try lemon Juice???

Just a small squirt, like 1 tsp is enough?
Will that stop his symptoms, or how long does it take to see improvement with the lemon juice???

FYI I was told no vet is allowed to remove the entire palate, cause some of it they need, but there was only a little bit that they actually need that was left, rest was removed.

I havenā€™t heard of the entire soft palate being removed.

Thanks!!šŸ™‚

Last edited:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Rustyā€™s soft palate was fully removed(of what needed to be, we have before and after photos of it). And it was down by a board certified surgeon.

So you recommend me taking him to the vet for a full check up after trying the lemon juice OR take him to vet and then have them sedate him to check his soft palate, then try lemon Juice???

Just a small squirt, like 1 tsp is enough?
Will that stop his symptoms, or how long does it take to see improvement with the lemon juice???

FYI I was told no vet is allowed to remove the entire palate, cause some of it they need, but there was only a little bit that they actually need that was left, rest was removed.

I havenā€™t heard of the entire soft palate being removed.

Thanks!!šŸ™‚
They sedate for a Soft Palate check up? My vet never sedated Jake nor Nyala. Nyala was there just for a checkup n he did look inside. She has no issues. When we got Jake he was 2.5yrs old n I got him fixed. 6 months later I thinkā€¦..I went back cause Jake had issues breathing after 5min of playing. Got my vet check his mouth n he even showed me how jammed it was. Like an opening of a loonie. Has his done. To this day heā€™s fine. But I do try to keep him on the slimmer side as it helps a lot for their breathing.

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
They sedate for a Soft Palate check up? My vet never sedated Jake nor Nyala. Nyala was there just for a checkup n he did look inside. She has no issues. When we got Jake he was 2.5yrs old n I got him fixed. 6 months later I thinkā€¦..I went back cause Jake had issues breathing after 5min of playing. Got my vet check his mouth n he even showed me how jammed it was. Like an opening of a loonie. Has his done. To this day heā€™s fine. But I do try to keep him on the slimmer side as it helps a lot for their breathing.

Yes all the vets here that we have been to (my vet we have been going to for 9 years, and she has frenchies and knows the breed and issues), they all said cause they canā€™t see that far down in the throat, they have to move the tongue and open the mouth very wide which you have to sedate them just to look at the soft palate.
I donā€™t like sedating them unless itā€™s absolutely needed.

Last time when he needed surgery, the soft palate was blocking Rustyā€™s airway actually getting stuck.

I also try to keep him on the slimmer side too.

I hope it didnā€™t grow back in 1 year. That seems crazy.

He is still doing his normal play amount.
Last time he couldnā€™t play for 5 minutes or go for a walk.

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
The goal of giving lemon juice is to help clear any phlegm that might be blocking it. The lemon juice breaks it down immediately

You just need to give them a small squirt. A teaspoon is probably enough, but you don't have to worry about giving too much; it's lemon juice. You want enough to clear the phlegm, just don't waterboard the pup and you'll be ok.

Last edited:
OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
The goal of giving lemon juice is to help clear any phlegm that might be blocking it. The lemon juice breaks it down immediately

You just need to give them a small squirt. A teaspoon is probably enough, but you don't have to worry about giving too much; it's lemon juice. You want enough to clear the phlegm, just don't waterboard the pup and you'll be ok.
Ok I will give him 1 tsp today of lemon juice, thank you.

Good to know it works immediately.

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
@Cbrugs did Jax or your English bulldogs need the soft palate surgery 2 different times??

Have you heard of the palate growing back after 1 year after a surgery and needing it done a second time??

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
@Cbrugs did Jax or your English bulldogs need the soft palate surgery 2 different times??

Have you heard of the palate growing back after 1 year after a surgery and needing it done a second time??
None of my dogs have had the surgery but I have heard that it can grow back.

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
None of my dogs have had the surgery but I have heard that it can grow back.

Oh I thought Jax had it done.

Have you heard it growing back in 1 year after the first surgery??

buffym

Apr 30, 2013
Allen Park, Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie, Dually (Forever in my Heart)
My Sophie had her palate done in August, she was 8 months old. She sounded great after the surgery while she was on meds but once done with the meds she sounded raspy again but not nearly as bad. She still coughs and sounds like she is phlegmy, however, I have had her checked a couple times and the vet says her palate is fine. She was spayed in November and after that was really bad I was up with her the entire night because she couldn't breathe. I emailed the vet in the morning and he thought she regurgitated after surgery and told me to give her pepcid AC which I thought was odd but it helped tremendously.

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
So I did give Rusty 1 tsp of lemon juice this morning. He hated it, but I did give it to him in his mouth.

To be honest it didnā€™t do anything, I can still hear his breathing and that gross noise in his throat and loud snoring unfortunatelyā˜¹ļø

I was hoping something simple like the lemon juice will help and not be his soft palate again, but I think it is the palate, so strange only 14 months later and it grew back?

Do I risk it and let the vet sedate him to look at his soft palate??? Opinions please, this scared me last time and I now am back in he same situation only difference is he can still play and go for walk

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
My Sophie had her palate done in August, she was 8 months old. She sounded great after the surgery while she was on meds but once done with the meds she sounded raspy again but not nearly as bad. She still coughs and sounds like she is phlegmy, however, I have had her checked a couple times and the vet says her palate is fine. She was spayed in November and after that was really bad I was up with her the entire night because she couldn't breathe. I emailed the vet in the morning and he thought she regurgitated after surgery and told me to give her pepcid AC which I thought was odd but it helped tremendously.

Did they have to sedate her to look at
her palate??our vets here have to sedate them to be able to see that.

Thatā€™s scary that she couldnā€™t breathe in the night, no more issues since the pepcid AC???

How old is she now?

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.