Choking/gagging and coughing-Help!

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
My dog keeps choking/ gagging kind of coughing but more like clearing his throat OR irritation in his throat.

He was cuddled on the couch with me and then when he got up he started choking/gagging kind of hacking to clear his throat?

He had the elongated soft palate (shortened), everted laryngeal saccules(removed), thru surgery in November of last year and he hasnā€™t had any issues with his airway and no more choking/gagging coughing since(he was doing that daily all day and even when he eats, this was BEFORE he had his palate surgery), and the signs of needing the surgery have gone away fully since he had the surgery.

I wouldnā€™t think his soft palate would grow back this soon? Would it?? Can it even grow back after the surgery??

Why would he be choking/gagging or hacking to clear his throat?

He is 3.5 years old, this makes no sense why he would be choking randomly and sudden?

Does the cold weather have anything to do with this??

Any recommendations or suggestions please??

FYI he hates lemon, So I donā€™t want to use lemon unless itā€™s absolutely needed.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I would give him a squirt of lemon juice and see if it helps ease the choke/gag. I always told my children, if it tastes bad, it works good(for meds.)

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I would give him a squirt of lemon juice and see if it helps ease the choke/gag. I always told my children, if it tastes bad, it works good(for meds.)

Thank you for your response, i appreciate it.

He hates the lemon and I worry about doing things like thatšŸ™ I will do it if itā€™s not improving.

Can bad dental health cause the choking/gagging? He does have some bad teeth. And HORRIBLE breath we were just talking about when he kissed me.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Getting a dental to clean and/or remove teeth has risks...with the G/A. If you think that it must be done at some point it's best to do it earlier than later. I have no idea if dental issues can lead to other things that cause coughing you see. I do know that palate surgery sometimes needs to be repeated even if done correctly the first time. Sometimes it's not done correctly. Hoping this is a temporary issue.

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Getting a dental to clean and/or remove teeth has risks...with the G/A. If you think that it must be done at some point it's best to do it earlier than later. I have no idea if dental issues can lead to other things that cause coughing you see. I do know that palate surgery sometimes needs to be repeated even if done correctly the first time. Sometimes it's not done correctly. Hoping this is a temporary issue.

Rusty is supposed to get his teeth checked and hopefully cleaned on Saturday, this is anesthesia FREE dental cleaning for dogs, but if they find any issues, they wonā€™t clean them they will tell you to get a vet to check.

The choking comes and goes, he was choking after eating his dinner last night and also reverse sneezing too.
When he does choke/coughing after that, when he breathes it sounds like there is gross stuff in there(plem or something, not sure), but I havenā€™t heard him do that yet today(he is still in bed, he sleeps in in the morning), I will be observing if any cough when he eats his breakfast.

I was worried that his palate could grow back, I really hope his palate has not grown, that would be very unfair for him to go thru that surgery again and also need teeth done(hopefully not).
The vet that did the palate was board certified surgeon.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Try the lemon first - I get he hates it, but it works if this is just a phegm issue and it is safe. Little quirt is all he needs.

s for palate regrowth... This happen with Cheli he had his reduced twice, but it was years apart, like 4 maybe, I'd hae to check his file to see for sure, but he also hates the lemon and will run/zoomie after we do it to him

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Try the lemon first - I get he hates it, but it works if this is just a phegm issue and it is safe. Little quirt is all he needs.

s for palate regrowth... This happen with Cheli he had his reduced twice, but it was years apart, like 4 maybe, I'd hae to check his file to see for sure, but he also hates the lemon and will run/zoomie after we do it to him
Thank you for your response, I appreciate it.

If he continues to choke, I will try the lemon juice.

He seems to be ok so far today, he reversed sneezing after his breakfast(for some reason he does this reverse sneeze after every meal).

How old was Cheli when he had the first palate surgery?? If it took 4 years to regrow for Cheli, it shouldnā€™t be Rustyā€™s palate yet ,since itā€™s only been 1 year since his surgery??

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Jake does that often. He had is palate done around 3yrs ago. He was at the vet this summer for eyelash laser surgery n his palate was fine. Just try the lemon squirt first. Btw, Jake does that cause he inhales his food.

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Jake does that often. He had is palate done around 3yrs ago. He was at the vet this summer for eyelash laser surgery n his palate was fine. Just try the lemon squirt first. Btw, Jake does that cause he inhales his food.

Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it šŸ˜Š

Next time Rusty makes this choking noises I will try the lemon squirt first.
He also inhales his food too which I think is why he reverse sneezes after every meal.

Can the cold weather cause him to choke more?

He was choking a little bit today but not much, I will keep watching him and if it continues I will use the lemon.

Hopefully the palate didnā€™t grow back.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it šŸ˜Š

Next time Rusty makes this choking noises I will try the lemon squirt first.
He also inhales his food too which I think is why he reverse sneezes after every meal.

Can the cold weather cause him to choke more?

He was choking a little bit today but not much, I will keep watching him and if it continues I will use the lemon.

Hopefully the palate didnā€™t grow back.
Today was -30, trust me it will choke anyone n youā€™ll even bit*h about it. šŸ™ƒ

Start with the basic, the lemon. And no, not cold enough where you live. Basically your winters are like zero degrees.

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Today was -30, trust me it will choke anyone n youā€™ll even bit*h about it. šŸ™ƒ

Start with the basic, the lemon. And no, not cold enough where you live. Basically your winters are like zero degrees.

Wow thatā€™s cold!

He doesnā€™t do it every day, but when he does it seems like what he was doing before his palate surgery, and I am just confused and concerned. He did it a bit yesterday, however today he didnā€™t(yet) and he is running around right now.

Next time he does it I will try the lemon.

For the cold weather,
Right now itā€™s -1 to -9, we had lots of snow, and likely more tonight. He is not outside other than to potty(which he normally is outside for 30 seconds to 2 minutes cause he hates the cold and the snow and rain even with the sweaters on), can this cause him to choke?

It definitely gets really cold but not -30.

Rusty will be getting the teeth done by the anesthesia free dental service tomorrow morning, the lady is flying out from Alberta to do the dental cleaning for the dogs at my work. I sure hope they donā€™t say ā€˜take him to the vet cause we canā€™t do it cause something needs a vet for serious issuesā€™.
I will update on that tomorrow, hopefully they can clean and nothing serious is wrong.

Thanks again for your response, i appreciate it.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
lemon juice = "Bulldog Starting Fluid"
So true it is hysterical!!! LOL

@Bulldog2001 -- Cheli was abut two for the first surgery and the second was around five years old. The first he had palate and nares done... the second was palate, nares and saccules (spelling?). Our vet will not do any of these surgeries until at least 18 months and prefers to wait till two years as long as there are no extreme issues. One of the first things he told us was since it is soft tissue it can grow and possibly need to be done again.

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
So true it is hysterical!!! LOL

@Bulldog2001 -- Cheli was abut two for the first surgery and the second was around five years old. The first he had palate and nares done... the second was palate, nares and saccules (spelling?). Our vet will not do any of these surgeries until at least 18 months and prefers to wait till two years as long as there are no extreme issues. One of the first things he told us was since it is soft tissue it can grow and possibly need to be done again.
Thanks for checking the age for when he needed the surgery.

Our vet too, wanted us to wait until he was 2 years old before the first surgery. Rusty was 2.5 years old for the surgery, they did the palate, nose, and removed saccules.

I didnā€™t know the nares can close again?šŸ¤”

So Cheli palate took 3 years to grow back, hopefully Rustyā€™s didnā€™t already grow back, hopefully if it does grow back, it wonā€™t be for a couple more years(hopefully it doesnā€™t grow back šŸ™)

Thank you for your response! I appreciate it.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@Bulldog2001 - sorry should have been more clear, nares didn't close, vet was very conservative with the first procedure and since Cheli was having sleep apnea issues, he wanted to open them up more

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.