Chief and Louise

TxMom2

May 1, 2022
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Louise and Chief
My husband keeps telling me I’m feeding the dogs too early….
He feeds them at around 4 am before he goes to work.
By 4:15pm they’re standing in the kitchen staring at me like this…
🥺

Attachments

• BA0EC3A6-63AE-4868-B5C8-0621064A947B.jpeg
    BA0EC3A6-63AE-4868-B5C8-0621064A947B.jpeg
    259.3 KB · Views: 65

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
My husband keeps telling me I’m feeding the dogs too early….
He feeds them at around 4 am before he goes to work.
By 4:15pm they’re standing in the kitchen staring at me like this…
🥺

They are SO cute!!

I feed my dogs @9am and dinner @4:00-4:15pm never later than 4:30.

I don’t think it’s too early for dinner, my dogs would never get up for breakfast @4am!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Most of the time when I go in the kitchen, my dogs come in, they always have hope that they will get a snack! They usually have their meal about 3p.m. and a "snack" at bedtime.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Most of the time when I go in the kitchen, my dogs come in, they always have hope that they will get a snack! They usually have their meal about 3p.m. and a "snack" at bedtime.

My dog also gets a snack before bed too @10pm.

I thought I was the only one.😊

OP
TxMom2

TxMom2

May 1, 2022
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Louise and Chief
What do you give them as a snack?
I give mine a morning snack around 10am (1 tbsp plain Greek yogurt and 1 tbsp cottage cheese)
I was giving them a little bit of boiled carrot and cauliflower as an evening snack but I ran out. They seem always hungry! But they aren’t skinny or anything so I have to fight the urge to feed them more! They’re only 4-5 months though too.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
What do you feed yours as a snack?

One of my dogs vomits foam if he goes too long without eating(needs a snack/small meal @10pm so he doesn’t vomit in the middle of the night).

I divide his daily food amount into 3 portions, he gets 1/3 of his daily food as the snack before bed, with bone broth, probiotics and a little bit of water added(he doesn’t drink water unless it’s added to his meals).
All my dogs are raw fed, my small dog that needs the snack @10pm gets 1/2 pound of raw daily(1/3 of the 1/2 pound patty for the snack before bed).
My other 2 dogs get 1 pound of raw diet each daily. They get a few berries as a treat while the other dog gets his snack.

My other dogs get some fruit as a treat before bed(blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, watermelon depending on what I have in the fridge).

Some people give vegetables and fruit for their dogs snack. A healthy way to give a treat without adding too many extra calories😊
Sounds like you give them a healthy snack.
Doesn’t take them long to figure out that they will expect a snack from you, then they will be waiting for it so you don’t forget😊

OP
TxMom2

TxMom2

May 1, 2022
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Louise and Chief
One of my dogs vomits foam if he goes too long without eating(needs a snack/small meal @10pm so he doesn’t vomit in the middle of the night).

I divide his daily food amount into 3 portions, he gets 1/3 of his daily food as the snack before bed, with bone broth, probiotics and a little bit of water added(he doesn’t drink water unless it’s added to his meals).
All my dogs are raw fed, my small dog that needs the snack @10pm gets 1/2 pound of raw daily(1/3 of the 1/2 pound patty for the snack before bed).
My other 2 dogs get 1 pound of raw diet each daily. They get a few berries as a treat while the other dog gets his snack.

My other dogs get some fruit as a treat before bed(blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, watermelon depending on what I have in the fridge).

Some people give vegetables and fruit for their dogs snack. A healthy way to give a treat without adding too many extra calories😊
Sounds like you give them a healthy snack.
Doesn’t take them long to figure out that they will expect a snack from you, then they will be waiting for it so you don’t forget😊
Oh trust me I could never forget! 😆
They eat their food so early because of my husband’s work schedule. I started giving them the Greek yogurt when we first brought them home because the breeder recommended it for the first week daily. And now when we first get up for the day they know they’re getting it. They wait at the fridge. Seems once you start something with these guys, you can’t just “stop” 😝

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Oh trust me I could never forget! 😆
They eat their food so early because of my husband’s work schedule. I started giving them the Greek yogurt when we first brought them home because the breeder recommended it for the first week daily. And now when we first get up for the day they know they’re getting it. They wait at the fridge. Seems once you start something with these guys, you can’t just “stop” 😝

My dog does the same thing, depending on what time we go to bed, he sometimes has his snack @10:30 or 11pm sometimes but usually around 10pm at earliest.

He will sit right in front of the fridge @9:30 and then he will come walk over to me and stare at me then walk back over to the fridge, I say I can’t give your snack to you yet, it’s too early!

They are so smart especially when they get into a routine, that’s why I said they will make sure we don’t forget😊

I totally agree, once we start something we just can’t stop or discontinue something.

Sounds like your dogs aren’t lazy in the morning, my dogs don’t want to get up @9 for breakfast, sometimes they are so lazy, this morning they got up @ 9:30 and were fed then, and yesterday they ate breakfast @10am (yes I know, crazy) but I got the. Up and they went right back to bed, lol! My dogs are very lazy in the morning😊

OP
TxMom2

TxMom2

May 1, 2022
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Louise and Chief
My dog does the same thing, depending on what time we go to bed, he sometimes has his snack @10:30 or 11pm sometimes but usually around 10pm at earliest.

He will sit right in front of the fridge @9:30 and then he will come walk over to me and stare at me then walk back over to the fridge, I say I can’t give your snack to you yet, it’s too early!

They are so smart especially when they get into a routine, that’s why I said they will make sure we don’t forget😊

I totally agree, once we start something we just can’t stop or discontinue something.

Sounds like your dogs aren’t lazy in the morning, my dogs don’t want to get up @9 for breakfast, sometimes they are so lazy, this morning they got up @ 9:30 and were fed then, and yesterday they ate breakfast @10am (yes I know, crazy) but I got the. Up and they went right back to bed, lol! My dogs are very lazy in the morning😊
I’m thinking the only reason they have the energy to get up is because of how young they are, and my husband has been giving their breakfast that early since we brought them home. His work schedule will change next week so they’ll be fed around 5 am instead.
I’m honestly ready for these pups to get lazy!
They are sweet and all but they have destructive chewing tendencies. They’ve chewed up our antique wooden coffee table, our antique dining room chairs, the bottom of our old kitchen hutch.
It’s insane the amount of money I’ve spent on chew toys. I also got the “adaptil” plug in that’s supposed to be calming for them. I redirect them but Chief craves the coffee table. He knows he isn’t supposed to do it but it’s like he just can’t help it 🤷🏼‍♀️

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I’m thinking the only reason they have the energy to get up is because of how young they are, and my husband has been giving their breakfast that early since we brought them home. His work schedule will change next week so they’ll be fed around 5 am instead.
I’m honestly ready for these pups to get lazy!
They are sweet and all but they have destructive chewing tendencies. They’ve chewed up our antique wooden coffee table, our antique dining room chairs, the bottom of our old kitchen hutch.
It’s insane the amount of money I’ve spent on chew toys. I also got the “adaptil” plug in that’s supposed to be calming for them. I redirect them but Chief craves the coffee table. He knows he isn’t supposed to do it but it’s like he just can’t help it 🤷🏼‍♀️

They hopefully will start to get more lazy.

That’s crazy Chief wants to just chew the wood, puppies do that and can definitely be a lot of work, hopefully they will stop chewing those soon!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
When they are puppies(,and beyond) if they are chewers of furniture, or anything else that is not allowed, they have to be checked on ALOT. If you do not observe and catch them at it, and discipline them, and tell them that it is a "no no", how will they learn NOT to do it? They are little children,and should be thought of as such. Should not be left unobserved
for enough time to start bad habits. If they are out of your sight-they WILL develop bad habits. You are their teacher,(old fashioned kind) and only you can teach them. Preventing a bad habit is easier in the long run, than changing it once they develop one. They need to respect something-could even be a fly swatter! Not to beat them, but a no no and a tap might help. Once the bad habit develops, it is harder to correct than prevent it in the first place.
Also put Bitter Apple or something on the chewed to discourage the bad habit, or they will be beavers forever!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
My dogs eat once a day most times, sometimes in the morning, sometimes in the afternoon, sometimes once in 2 days, sometimes they eat 4 lbs of food on Friday night and not eat again until Monday morning... PMR life is a box of chocolates... you never know what you're gonna get when. LOL.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.