Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Ok so Ty had both of his cherry eyes tacked when he was neutered on Feb. 27th. They were really bad, the left being the worst. For the first few days post-op they were red which I figured. They seemed to be doing well. A week later when we went for his follow up, on the way into the car, the damn things puffed up again. When we went to the vet he said he made a very large pocket for the left and gave him another type of drops to be used several times a day as well as giving him a shot in the swollen tissue followed up with some ointment. Well another week as passed with the application of the drops and I am still getting puffiness off an on. I feel bad for him. I just put in a call to the vet to see where we take it from here. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am hoping they don't want to go in again and maybe remove the tissue. I am at my ropes end because I feel like this thing should be doing way better. Any help is appreciated.
[MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION], [MENTION=12912]binxrexchubbs[/MENTION], [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
My vet decided to just removed it on Brett's. It's almost been a month and his eye looked a lot better.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My vet decided to just removed it on Brett's. It's almost been a month and his eye looked a lot better.

I am taking him to the vet tonight after work. Not sure what the next step will be. We really thought that another week of healing and he would be fine but we are still getting too much swelling. I am a little worried about doing a complete removal because I read that they tend to have dry eye. Is Brett now on a maintenance drop?

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
If it is popping out again, he may have to have it tacked. Brutus had both eyes tacked but one failed so he had the lining thinned. He is 2 1/2 and is not on any type of drops and has no problems with dry eye. Maybe because he has his thinned and not completely removed? Tacking is always risky because the failure rate is pretty high but it is worth trying first. Like I said, Brutus was successful in one eye and not the other.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
If it is popping out again, he may have to have it tacked. Brutus had both eyes tacked but one failed so he had the lining thinned. He is 2 1/2 and is not on any type of drops and has no problems with dry eye. Maybe because he has his thinned and not completely removed? Tacking is always risky because the failure rate is pretty high but it is worth trying first. Like I said, Brutus was successful in one eye and not the other.
I worried about the left eye since it was so large and the most troublesome. I know the vet said he made a large pocket and then put in the suture. Maybe they will have to do it again and thin it out. Did Brutus go back for a follow-up surgery or have you just decided to leave it alone?

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I worried about the left eye since it was so large and the most troublesome. I know the vet said he made a large pocket and then put in the suture. Maybe they will have to do it again and thin it out. Did Brutus go back for a follow-up surgery or have you just decided to leave it alone?
Brutus went back in to have it thinned out. He had very large cherry eyes in both eyes. The largest the vet had ever seen. Maybe you can discuss thinning out instead of removing but either way he will have to go back under for the procedure :(
20130320_101145.jpg

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus went back in to have it thinned out. He had very large cherry eyes in both eyes. The largest the vet had ever seen. Maybe you can discuss thinning out instead of removing but either way he will have to go back under for the procedure :(
View attachment 85151
I have seen CE on others but Ty's really is the worst that I have seen. Raven gets them off and on and I can easily massage them back in. But this boys...makes me hurt and feel annoyed for him when I look at them. I am going to ask the vet about the thinning tonight when we see him. It's funny because my vet was very positive in our pre-op visit. He was like I have never had a problem with a prolapse once I am done. Well guess Ty is the record breaker for you now.

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I have seen CE on others but Ty's really is the worst that I have seen. Raven gets them off and on and I can easily massage them back in. But this boys...makes me hurt and feel annoyed for him when I look at them. I am going to ask the vet about the thinning tonight when we see him. It's funny because my vet was very positive in our pre-op visit. He was like I have never had a problem with a prolapse once I am done. Well guess Ty is the record breaker for you now.

Good luck and let me know what the vet says.

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I am taking him to the vet tonight after work. Not sure what the next step will be. We really thought that another week of healing and he would be fine but we are still getting too much swelling. I am a little worried about doing a complete removal because I read that they tend to have dry eye. Is Brett now on a maintenance drop?

Just the ointment that we got after his surgery. No dry eyes problems. So keeping my fingers crossed. I asked the vet about the drops and he said he didn't need it.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Just the ointment that we got after his surgery. No dry eyes problems. So keeping my fingers crossed. I asked the vet about the drops and he said he didn't need it.
Saying a little prayer that it stays that way. God knows how much it hurts us to see these stinkers suffer with anything. He really has such a cute wicked little face.

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Saying a little prayer that it stays that way. God knows how much it hurts us to see these stinkers suffer with anything. He really has such a cute wicked little face.

Yeah felt so bad I tried to avoid the surgery but even massaging didn't wanna go back in so decided to just go ahead with it. This is him now. It was on his right eye.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 511
OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yeah felt so bad I tried to avoid the surgery but even massaging didn't wanna go back in so decided to just go ahead with it. This is him now. It was on his right eye.
Love all the wrinkles.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Just got back from the vet. The stitches from his tuck are fine. Looks like it's allergy related. I did wonder if it was allergy related because on Sunday when the eyes were puffy I gave him some benadryl and it helped. So for now we are going to be on benadryl 2x a day. He said it will also help to keep down inflammation while the eyes are healing. We will check in with the vet in another week.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto

If the gland is totally emoved I most definedly would ask again about the drops.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online